Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Just got this mod and I'm not sure If I'm doing something wrong, would appreciate some help.

I've got 4 probes set up with 2 dishes(KR-7 and KR-14) as well as a omnidirectional antenna, communotron 32. They are orbiting kerbin at 400km. All the dishes and antenna are on and on the map view I can see that the form a little network over mission controll and kerbin. Then I've got a science lab orbiting the mun. It's on the side of the moon facing kerbin, the communication devices are on(comms-DTS-M1 and communotron 32), But every time I try to transmit science, I get the error message "No comms devices on this vessel. Cannot transmit data". I've tried pointing the dish on the science lab at mission control, kerbin and all the probes orbiting kerbin. Can't get it to transmit. Anyone know what could be wrong?

You're obviously out of omni range from the satellites around Kerbin, so you need a dish on your lab (or 2 or 3) pointing directly at one of the satellites around Kerbin. That Kerbin satellite also needs a dish pointing at your lab to establish a link. You can't just point one dish and expect a link. It takes a pair of dishes, one at each end, to establish a direct link.

They are orbiting kerbin at 400km. Can't get it to transmit. Anyone know what could be wrong?

Two Things might be the problem here:

1. You have to target your receiver (the Mun ship) with your Kerbin dish-carrying sats - usually just targeting the MUn works, too, with the wide angle dishes

2. Your Kerbin-orbit sats might be out of comms with Mission Control - 400km is a pretty low orbit; each sat will be out of contact most of the time, but you might be able to make it work

Heh. Would take a lot to stick enough sats into kerbosynchronous orbit. I'll do dish to dish. Thanks mate.

Neh, you really only need 3 of them evenly spaced, one on top of KSC and the other two pointed at that one, and an extra dish each for actual comm.

(i.e. the sat above KSC needs 3 dishes and the others need 2)

Heh. Would take a lot to stick enough sats into kerbosynchronous orbit. I'll do dish to dish. Thanks mate.

Dish to dish really should be reserved for communication between bodies, not around bodies. Only Jool and Kerbol need dish to dish around themselves. Every other body omnis can be used for easy communication. For example, once you establish a link back to any one satellite around Kerbin communication to mission control is automatically established as long as the satellites orbiting Kerbin all have omnis and line of sight to each other. And kerbosynchronous orbit is not required for this. You only need 3 satellites 120 degrees apart from each other at a minimum orbit of 600+ kilometers (radius of Kerbin). I suggest at least twice that orbital altitude due to it being impossible to establsih absolutely perfect orbits.

Some maths that might help:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Satellite_Coverage

Anyone else having issues with the link lines showing up? It only happens randomly, sometimes turning off the path then turning it back on fixes it (sometimes not), and I've looked through output_log.txt and the Alt+F2 menu and there's nothing that shows up there :(

PS I signed up at github and created an issue to track this. If I manage to get any kind of log output I will post it there.

Edited by rottielover

And kerbosynchronous orbit is not required for this. You only need 3 satellites 120 degrees apart from each other at a minimum orbit of 600+ kilometers (radius of Kerbin). I suggest at least twice that orbital altitude due to it being impossible to establsih absolutely perfect orbits.

You can establish perfect orbits with KER, giving all three the same orbital period (feather the orbit to 1/10th second using normal adjustments once prograde adjustments are close). You can even establish a network with Communotron 16s, which I currently have for a low orbit network, and it works fine--although the 16s can be a maximum of 800 km above the surface of Kerbin. Split the difference and set three satellites 120 apart at 700 km, and you can establish a low orbit network almost immediately when the game starts.

http://i.imgur.com/oDkgqgU.png

Also, you can use this blackout calculator to make sure you've got enough battery to survive the dark side of Kerbin with all your antennas up:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkXf-77s6gmFdEdVeGFqX0xobTczYkhEaEVrVTdWV3c&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Edited by Grays

Hi, I am having problems with antennae animations when using this mod, when I right click on it there is no option for it to be deployed so the antennae always remain folded away. I have looked through this thread and found that other people have had the same problem but I haven't been able to find a fix. If anyone would be able to help that would be great, thanks.

I can't activate my omnidirectional antennas when the craft has no comms. When right clicking on them and clicking Activate, nothing happens. I'm sure this used to work, perhaps this is an intentional change, I'm not sure.

I can't activate my omnidirectional antennas when the craft has no comms. When right clicking on them and clicking Activate, nothing happens. I'm sure this used to work, perhaps this is an intentional change, I'm not sure.

That's intentional. You can't change anything on your craft unless you have local control. You must plan accordingly to maintain communication on all unmanned craft.

Hi, I am having problems with antennae animations when using this mod, when I right click on it there is no option for it to be deployed so the antennae always remain folded away. I have looked through this thread and found that other people have had the same problem but I haven't been able to find a fix. If anyone would be able to help that would be great, thanks.

If you don't get the "deploy" option then you didn't install the mod properly and/or you have some version problem. You need 0.23 KSP and 1.3.3 RT2.

any tips how will I approach building a Kerbin SOI network in career mode?

Get a few omnidirectiinals in low orbit to cover unmanned craft with LKO transfers. I'd attach a few 45 or 90 dishes to cover comms with your first trips to the Mun and Minmus. You'll also need at least one or two relays orbiting the Mun to get science comms back to Kerbin from the far side of the Mun. Once you're ready for interplanetary, set up some higher orbit long range relays.

I personally like to send up a manned ship with two or three geostationary satellites attached to it, deploy in geosynchronous orbit above KSC, set up antennae, and then have two of the three sats navigate around to make the full network.

Once a satellite is in geosync orbit, it takes very little delta-v for them to move into/out of slightly wider or tighter orbits to spread them out.

Prior to this design, well, I did manned satellites, hehe. Poor old Jeb got realllly bored as a switchboard operator for probe traffic :wink:

(This is one of my fave mods, by the way. Thanks Cilph!)

Get a few omnidirectiinals in low orbit to cover unmanned craft with LKO transfers. I'd attach a few 45 or 90 dishes to cover comms with your first trips to the Mun and Minmus. You'll also need at least one or two relays orbiting the Mun to get science comms back to Kerbin from the far side of the Mun. Once you're ready for interplanetary, set up some higher orbit long range relays.

ok thanks, I remember what I did now back in .20, it's just hard to plan ahead when I can't view future techs and parts to unlock.

Feature Request: Now that you've fixed the feature where if you do not have a connection nothing works, I have a specific request: SCANsat (I suppose maybe ISA Mapsat as well)...

SCANsat usually works in the background and allows for multiple satellites to do the mapping. However, now if I do not have a connection, that portion of the body doesn't get mapped. I would like to know if there is a way to exclude SCANsat from the "won't work if no connection" under the therory of it should work like flight computer, activate it when/if you have a connection and let it do it's thing while it's out of communications, then when you have a connection again, you can upload the data (IE do the "analyzie data dialoge to get your Science points).

Hopefully this made sense..

Weird. I upgraded to 0.23 a couple days ago after RT's new release. It worked for a while, but I was experiencing the map mode communication lines distorting when zooming and panning, and then the Switch To bugs and the Space Center failing to load properly after a while.

Now my 0.23 game crashes on loading RT. I'm not sure what's going on, but it will either crash or hang on loading one of RT's parts. I've checked the RAM usage while loading, and it's well under 3GB, so it can't be reaching the finite memory limit. The log doesn't seem to have any indication of why KSP crashes, apart from a few missing sound files in NovaPunch2, which shouldn't actually affect anything.

I have a problem with this mod, which is making me really sad because this looks very, very interesting.

My problem is that the ui seems to turn pink for some reason.

5C3kNHL.jpg

That's when I'm in flight-view.

HXSfDaC.jpg

And that's when I'm in map-view...

I've been looking all over the forums, but have found nobody who also has this problem...Can anybody help me with this? Thank you.

I have a problem with this mod, which is making me really sad because this looks very, very interesting.

My problem is that the ui seems to turn pink for some reason.

http://i.imgur.com/5C3kNHL.jpg

That's when I'm in flight-view.

http://i.imgur.com/HXSfDaC.jpg

And that's when I'm in map-view...

I've been looking all over the forums, but have found nobody who also has this problem...Can anybody help me with this? Thank you.

You installed it wrong. GameData/RemoteTech2/{Plugins, Textures}

I usually set up my comsats with 4 dishes and an omni.

1 for KSC. As they precess around each will take its turn pointing at KSC.

1 for next sat.

1 for previous sat.

1 for Mun and beyond coms.

Should only really need 3 of these in geosync but I'm not that great and tend to put 5 or so. Then I do a lower 400Km omni only array.

With science !

... that is, mainly using Kepler's law a^3/T^2=const.

What is needed :

- at least 3 satellites

If you want constant connection to the Space Center, you need at least 3 on the same equatorial circular orbit. The more you have, the more resistant your setting will be against them drifting apart due to unequal orbital times.

- all of them in the same orbit

Otherwise, planning it is more complicated.

- all of them spaced more or less equally apart

It's no use if all of them are on one side of the planet at the same time.

- choosing convenient height of their orbit

Generally, higher is better. But there are limits - mainly range of omnidirectional antennas (the basic one has 2500km range). You should use them instead of dishes to have complete coverage of space near Kerbin without having to worry about where to point dishes.

Here is how I did it :

I used 4 satellites, launched in one piece (screenshot 1 below). I wanted them to be on a circular orbit 700km above Kerbin. And here is where the science comes in - how to get them spaced equally apart ? With a little calculation, I came up with an orbit - apoapsis of course 700km (and above Space Center to provide connection) and periapsis 246.25km. The first satellite, after launching in apoapsis and circularizing its orbit to 700km, goes 3/4 of its orbit when the stack of other satellites reaches its apoapsis again to launch another satellite. So after a few passes, there are 4 satellites on circular orbit spaced equally apart.

Then there is another important part - all those satellites must have the same orbital period. I'm using Kerbal Engineer, so it just means looking at the right number (screenshot 2).

Finally, the result is on screenshot 3.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Another interesting thing I just calculated - the orbital period of all my 4 satellites is 1h 22m 37.6s. If one satellite was off by just 0.1s, it would drift away to cause short periods of no connection in only 277days. Fortunately, this drift can be easily spotted and corrected by very tiny burns before it gets out of hand.