Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Is it possible to have RemoteTech active for specific save games only, or if not, to deactivate it on demand?

Um, I don't know if that's possible or not, but you can pretty much create a second copy of KSP on your drive by simply copying the folder elsewhere. I do that myself, the folder's not very big so I have three now. (BTSM / RT2+Keth+FAR / pure vanilla installation)

It doesn't appear to use any absolute paths nor registry entries (that's pretty much how my own programs work too..how ALL programs should work), so your savegames will be local to the KSP that you start. You can even have unique settings and such.

(note that this works with both the Steam and standalone versions)

Um, I don't know if that's possible or not, but you can pretty much create a second copy of KSP on your drive by simply copying the folder elsewhere.
For all u guys or girls that want to play at a time with out RT just zip up the plugin RemoteTech2.dll then when u want to use RT again unzip it and start the game

I know that you can do it using a second install or by deleting/renaming/... the DLL. I was specifically asking about an in-game way to disable the plugin or have it specific to the current save game.

I know that you can do it using a second install or by deleting/renaming/... the DLL. I was specifically asking about an in-game way to disable the plugin or have it specific to the current save game.

Sorry, can't help you there. I've not heard of any such system (and I suspect it hasn't been implemented, and may not be all that practical from a coding perspective).

The second install system would let you have RT2 enabled saves separate from non-RT2 saves, but I presume you know that already.

For all u guys or girls that want to play at a time with out RT just zip up the plugin RemoteTech2.dll then when u want to use RT again unzip it and start the game

I think you will lose the parts, and any ships with the parts if you remove it. Wait a minute... remove RT2???!!! Blasphemy!! :wink:

Edit: oh wait, just zipping the dll; yeah that'd probably work... still Blasphemy!!

@mspores: The dish from your Mun sat... is it a "narrow cone" dish like a Communitron 88? If it is set to target "Kerbin", the relay may not always be within its cone (second screenshot). In the third screenshot, both the LKO sat and KSC may fall within the cone to allow comms.

Edited by match

Setup my first remotetech comm relay.

Used VOID to get their orbital period / semi-major axis accurate to under a meter (VOID lets you click to change the unit). Simmed at 100,000 warp for a year and they are still dead on with no save file editing. Imagine eventually they could need a correction after a long while.

Pretty triangle:

uRwMj0g.png

Posted the method I used and getting it right here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64457-RemoteTech-Comm-Relay-Getting-Angle-of-Seperation-right

u have a bad install or missing file try reinstall or check first to see if you have ModuleManager_1_5.dll in your RT2 folder forgot what file missing or bad that does that

I got, it, the MOD Admin installed it wrong!. The partes were there, now it works. Thx for inspiration!

You've overly complicated it dewin.

I use a simple 3-layer network.

First layer total Kerbin coverage network is easy enough with 3-5 sats parked at 742* km altitude with a 3 or 5 Mm Omni antenna equipped. I prefer 5 Mm because it improves comlinks with Keosats.

Second layer coverage is provided with Keosats. 3 are good enough, 4 provides redundancy. A five Mm Omni and a short range dish are all you need. Target the dish at the OCS explained next.

Layer three is the orbital command station** (as I call it) placed on a polar orbit half way between Mun and minmus. This station you can cover in all types of dishes for acting as a big relay hub Use a low power, wide angle dish and aim it at kerbin. It should ALWAYS hit all non-occluded (blocked) keosats with ease.

Technically, since KEO is at such a low altitude, the 5 Mm antennae means that the keosats can provide coverage to the entire surface and chain communicate. However, wonky orbit drift will cause long blackouts since keo orbit is so slow. The lower layer of sats at 742 km ensure that blackouts are short and ensure multiple redundant communications paths are always open. Even better, the OCS way up there in inter lunar polar orbit all but ensures zero blackouts because it is EXTREMELY difficult to occlude (block) from the commsat relay network.

I say the best solution is to throw a bunch of comsats into the same orbit at different in the orbit and hope for the best. Also, what is KEO and what is a keosat.

Edited by Rokker

You've overly complicated it dewin.

First layer total Kerbin coverage network is easy enough with 3-5 sats parked at 742* km altitude with a 3 or 5 Mm Omni antenna equipped. I prefer 5 Mm because it improves comlinks with Keosats.

*741 and some change km is the minimum calculated altitude to provide a radio horizon equal to kerbin's radius, giving you total hemisphere coverage. (This is the 'BEST' altitude for general commsats, as this keeps all the sats closer together in general, allowing you to use lower power comms, which translates into smaller power equipment, which means a lighter rocket, which means a smaller, less overly built rocket. Good if you're playing with a budget mod because now it's cheaper.)

Layer 1: 742 km, equatorial. 6-9 satellites. 5 Mm comms.

742 km. Lowest orbit one sat can see half the entire planet.

Anyone know the math on calculating the line of sight that says 742 is the right amount?

I would like to calculate it for other bodies as needed.

Edit:

Is it: square root(radius^2+(radius*2)^2)-radius? Seems to get the right answer for kerbin.

Edited by Peppe

I installed it. Extracted it just only to my ksp directory, no duplicate parts. But i cannot connect anything, and rfly any rocket without any communication saytellite...

No idea what to do. There is a red dot on my KSP, but i can't actually do anything other with satellites than folding and unfolding them. Does anybody have any idea?

Anyone know the math on calculating the line of sight that says 742 is the right amount?

I would like to calculate it for other bodies as needed.

Edit:

Is it: square root(radius^2+(radius*2)^2)-radius? Seems to get the right answer for kerbin.

Calculating minimum altitude for 180 degree LOS... Pretty sure that's undefined, mathematically speaking. But my understanding of Line of Sight may be different. Two tangents on opposite ends of a chord through the center-point of a circle are parallel to each other and will offer no intersect. Move the chord away from the center and you get an intersect, which will allow you to solve for the altitude needed.

For 742 km orbit, you can find the field of view via 2 * sin x = 300 (radius) / 1042 (altitude + radius)

This gives about a 32.5 degree FOV at the planet, which translates to about 41% of the perimeter.

-I used 600 as diameter instead of radius... (again! I really hate when I do that) Corrected below. Also bracketed angle solution to prevent operations confusion.

For 742 km orbit, you can find the field of view via 2 * [sin x = 600 (radius) / 1342 (altitude + radius)]

This gives about a 53.1 degree FOV at the planet, which translates to about 35% of the perimeter.

I guess since the station has a height of 70 m, that would translate to additional FOV, but I am not sure which part of the planet blocks the signal. If the mountains to the west of KSC block the signal, this would need to be accounted for as well.

Edited by match

I learned on this video, he explains the theory right on the first minutes, however the whole video is very cool.

The first 12 minutes is theory and MATHS. The guy does a pretty good job of explaining things if you at least had some middle school math.

Calculating minimum altitude for 180 degree LOS... Pretty sure that's undefined, mathematically speaking. But my understanding of Line of Sight may be different. Two tangents on opposite ends of a chord through the center-point of a circle are parallel to each other and will offer no intersect. Move the chord away from the center and you get an intersect, which will allow you to solve for the altitude needed.

For 742 km orbit, you can find the field of view via 2 * sin x = 300 (radius) / 1042 (altitude + radius)

This gives about a 32.5 degree FOV at the planet, which translates to about 41% of the perimeter.

I guess since the station has a height of 70 m, that would translate to additional FOV, but I am not sure which part of the planet blocks the signal. If the mountains to the west of KSC block the signal, this would need to be accounted for as well.

I thought i used standard algebra to find how they got to 742. Pretty sure 742 is wrong and you could have anything in the range of planet radius to antenna/dish/sphere of influence limit for the orbit of kerbin. If mountains don't block things satellites should gain line of sight at 600.01 km orbits, but they would need near perfect positioning. The higher you go the more positioning wiggle room for a 3 satellite grouping.

To reach 742 i think they did something like this.

Distance to horizon before it is simplified can be described as:

(R+h)^2 = R^2 + d^2

R = radius

d = distance

h = height

We are seeking the height that gives a distance of the radius * 2. So d=2R

(R+h)^2 = R^2 + 2R^2

R + h = square root ( R^2 + (2*R)^2 )

h = square root ( R^2 + (2*R)^2 ) - R

Now take a known radius like kerbin and you get: 741.6408...

Mun 247.2136

Minmus 74.1641

Etc. I don't think that gives horizon to horizon view, or 'half' the planet as someone described earlier. That is the distance from the satellite to the horizon -- if it went straight out it would have view of half the planet, but it travels at an angle, so some distance is used to go out and some is used to down -- reducing the field of view to some area short of the horizon.

Your field of view formula probably describes how much of the actual surface is seen.

i think i broke remote tech hehe....i unzip the "parts" folder, and the remoteTech_antennas.cfg...i did this to have only the parts and the integration to carrer mode...so i tried in sand box, the antenas extend, and everything was good....but now in carrer mode, and sand box the remotetech antennas are locked, i cant extend....i unzip all the folders and files, but its the same....i put the modulemanager1_5...pliz help, and sorry for my english

So I'm still wondering what the bug is that causes all the RT antennas to not have any animation. Does anyone have any new information? Some kind of addon conflict? I checked the KSP.log and I see these RemoteTech errors:

[ERR 15:13:25.078] [TransmitterModule]: Part Module 0 doesn't implement IScalarModule

[LOG 15:13:25.079] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: Part Module longAntenna doesn't implement IScalarModule

[ERR 15:13:25.080] [TransmitterModule]: Part Module 0 doesn't implement IScalarModule

[LOG 15:13:25.080] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: Part Module commDish doesn't implement IScalarModule

[ERR 15:13:25.083] [TransmitterModule]: Part Module 0 doesn't implement IScalarModule

[LOG 15:13:25.083] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: Part Module mediumDishAntenna doesn't implement IScalarModule

[ERR 15:13:25.084] [TransmitterModule]: Part Module 0 doesn't implement IScalarModule

[LOG 15:13:25.085] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: Part Module mediumDishAntenna doesn't implement IScalarModule

Don't know what this means though. I have ModuleManager_1_5.dll and ModuleManager_1_5_6.dll installed.

I seem to be doing something wrong. If I install RT2 the antennae no longer transmit science data. I get the message "No Comms Devices Present". This happens using RT2 or Stock antennae. I've poked through the .cfg files and the TRANSMITTER section is still there so I don't know why it wouldn't work.

I seem to be doing something wrong. If I install RT2 the antennae no longer transmit science data. I get the message "No Comms Devices Present". This happens using RT2 or Stock antennae. I've poked through the .cfg files and the TRANSMITTER section is still there so I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Do you have line of site to KSC or a relay network that reaches back to KSC?

In RT2 you have to have a connection to KSC to transmit.

I have been looking through various forum threads and can't seem to find what I am looking for through lurking about so I thought I would come to the source and ask. can anyone explain to me in simple, easy to understand words, how to add remotetech probe capabilities to other parts? I want the probe from Hexcans and B-9 to be able to be used like typical probe cores if possible?

I have been looking through various forum threads and can't seem to find what I am looking for through lurking about so I thought I would come to the source and ask. can anyone explain to me in simple, easy to understand words, how to add remotetech probe capabilities to other parts? I want the probe from Hexcans and B-9 to be able to be used like typical probe cores if possible?

I'm pretty sure there is a more detailed description in the first couple of pages of this thread, but i don't remember exactly where.

Short answer, is to add a new entry to the remote tech config file for parts. Duplicate an existing entry, change the values to match the antenna/dish you want to add, save and start. The config file is, iirc, GameData/RemoteTech2/RemoteTech_*.cfg depending on which file you need to edit for the part you are updating. I haven't done this myself, so I might be missing some small detail that makes it easy, but I know this is the general instructions.

Here is an example custom module config:

http://www./download/c3z4p6jy596gosi/CustomModules.cfg

Put the file in your gamedata folder and edit as needed -- includes remote tech and some other common modules on all stock and b9 pods. If your game does not have the mod for the module it won't affect it.