Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

I think RT2 may have a problem with how the names change when you split ships into multiple satellites while they are connected into the network.

Hmm... you may have a point there, that's the point where my games went all pear shaped - when I separated a lander from it's carrier.

Excellent work!

This would have saved me a lot of trouble as I was too stupid to grasp the mechanism of case 9 for a time.

Probably the figure could have numbers to indicate Cases 1 through to 11 (top to bottom)?

Is there something wrong in the figure for cases 10 and 11? (wrong labels against Comsat 1 perhaps?). Or maybe I am still missing something in my comprehension.

Well done!

Is there a way to keep the commands sent to the remote computer between ships switches? I am sendin some probes to other planets, but it happends that when i switched back the program was gone and there was no connection... so no way to enter a stable orbit around the body :s

This should help alleviate some newbie questions. Anybody with time on their hands is free to add upon/improve this to help address all of the most common complaints.

excellent. this should be in the opening post!

i had several problems in understanding the basics too. this would have helped me a great deal!

Hi,

I've looked for help for my problem, but as yet I've not found anything similar :

For a title : Moving Satellites.

I have 6 keostationary satellites. They are (almost) in the obvious positions IE phased around the Kerbin every 60 degrees or so. They've moved a few times. Not over time, but on loading the game. I currently have 4 probes within 10 dgrees and 2 probes hugging each other on the other side of Kerbin.

Other Satellites such as Minmus and the Mun have moved, but this is less of a problem as I saturated the moon's with satellites.

As of now, I'm unable to ensure coverage for where I want to go. Apart from changing the save file, can anyone help? To be honest I suspect this is a game problem, not hte mod. Maybe I should test a vanilla install.

This is a vid of the first time it happened when I only had 3 probes. This time it's worse :(http://youtu.be/mXoiSDf0D5c

Hi,

I've looked for help for my problem, but as yet I've not found anything similar :

I have 6 keostationary satellites. They are (almost) in the obvious positions IE phased around the Kerbin every 60 degrees or so. They've moved a few times. Not over time, but on loading the game. I currently have 4 probes within 10 dgrees and 2 probes hugging each other on the other side of Kerbin.

Other Satellites such as Minmus and the Mun have moved, but this is less of a problem as I saturated the moon's with satellites.

As of now, I'm unable to ensure coverage for where I want to go. Apart from changing the save file, can anyone help? To be honest I suspect this is a game problem, not hte mod. Maybe I should test a vanilla install.

This is a vid of the first time it happened when I only had 3 probes. This time it's worse :(http://youtu.be/mXoiSDf0D5c

Assuming you still have fuel and an engine on the satellites, you can move a satellite "forwards" in orbit by burning retrograde at apoapsis to lower the periapsis (and shorten the orbital period), waiting for it to cycle around a few times to reach the desired position at apoapsis, and then burning prograde to raise periapsis back to the desired value, or "backwards" by performing the opposite procedure (burn prograde at Pe to raise Ap thus increasing period, wait, burn retrograde at Pe to lower Ap back down).

To avoid drift, the satellites should all have a 6 hour period as exactly as possible, i.e. 6:00:00.00

Hope this helps.

Hopefully you guys saw a couple pages back a fix we have been using to these issues while Cilph is away.

Since updating the DLL, I haven't had RT issues in my game and think others have had similar success.

Credit to madadam+JDMJ for fixes to issue 189 on the github, I call this 1.3.3 fixpack 2:

RemoteTech2_2014.01.08.22.30.zip

Hadn't seen that update (maybe put a hint in the first page). Thanks, it seems to have fixed the problems I was having.

P.S. the undocking bug isn't entirely gone. It is seriously reduced in frequency though.

Edited by kalizec

Resuming some work tonight. 0.23 broke a lot of unexpected stuff I didn't want to see break, so I will be going over every bit of code and functionality. Along the way I'll refactor it, and make it more robust as well.

For example, I intend on removing all the OnVesselModified/OnPartUndock events and just force checking it every physics update. This should fix a lot of the decouple/docking issues that keep popping up. It'll somewhat decrease performance, but not an awful lot.

For testing, I will create an excel sheet listing every bit of functionality, so that the 'testing team' has an easier time. I don't want a repeat of the 0.23 version that was technically cleared despite so many bugs.

Assuming you still have fuel and an engine on the satellites, you can move a satellite "forwards" in orbit by burning retrograde at apoapsis to lower the periapsis (and shorten the orbital period), waiting for it to cycle around a few times to reach the desired position at apoapsis, and then burning prograde to raise periapsis back to the desired value, or "backwards" by performing the opposite procedure (burn prograde at Pe to raise Ap thus increasing period, wait, burn retrograde at Pe to lower Ap back down).

To avoid drift, the satellites should all have a 6 hour period as exactly as possible, i.e. 6:00:00.00

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'd expect drift and have 3k Delta-V on most of the sats (Don't ask) while I've had to move a few before, these sats are in the right place as I shutdown, and when I reload they are all over the place. It's instantanious, not drift over time. That I can accept as my fault.

http://youtu.be/MBtqDT_qOAo is what they were like a day ago

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4402868/screenshot13.png Is how they are now.

Remember this was after starting KSP. No problems whuttingdown or crashes etc.

When I upgraded to .23 my whole relay was destroyed by one part missing or something or other, and even after finding the part the satellites themselves refused to function.

does someone have a .sfs with a sat relay already set up

i want to get back into it, but setting up a com relay is a little annoying when i have other things i really want to get to

This is a great mod, and I've had a great time with it, so it is with humility that I have a small idea/request: Would it be possible to make vessel renaming/type declaration not dependent on a communication link? Or at least the option for it? It seems to me this is entirely a "ground control" operation, naming and assigning a type, and shouldn't require an active comms like. It would be nice to be able to clear dead/useless probes without deleting them completely or save file editing the type to Debris.

Also, I've found that switching vessels via space center -> tracking station avoids the 1.3.3 bug. It takes longer, but not as long as a restart of KSP does.

When I upgraded to .23 my whole relay was destroyed by one part missing or something or other, and even after finding the part the satellites themselves refused to function.

does someone have a .sfs with a sat relay already set up

i want to get back into it, but setting up a com relay is a little annoying when i have other things i really want to get to

Use MechJeb, you should be done in 1 hour or so. Make a good launcher and it won't be a pain. Obviously this isn't permanent, you're gonna need to adjust them but it's gonna get you a functional network.

Use MechJeb, you should be done in 1 hour or so. Make a good launcher and it won't be a pain. Obviously this isn't permanent, you're gonna need to adjust them but it's gonna get you a functional network.

meh okay, i know its not to bad

thanks though

I have seen this before, I believe you re-loaded a game or engaged the physics engine with 'HACK GRAVITY' enabled. You need to turn that off before you quickload or relaunch or bizzare things seem to happen to your orbits. Enabling Hack Gravity won't disturb anything once the physics engine has loaded from what I can tell, but any reload before disabling it seems to be the cause of the altered location of the RT sats.

Hi,

I have seen this before, I believe you re-loaded a game or engaged the physics engine with 'HACK GRAVITY' enabled. You need to turn that off before you quickload or relaunch or bizzare things seem to happen to your orbits. Enabling Hack Gravity won't disturb anything once the physics engine has loaded from what I can tell, but any reload before disabling it seems to be the cause of the altered location of the RT sats.

Really? TBH I don't know how to enable hack gravity, let alone turn it on. I had the same problem in 0.22, and assumed it was my overloaded 0.22 install. I was becoming flakey anyway and 0.23 was out so I started again.

Quick question- How do you make the angle of each dish display on the map? I've seen it in videos (mainly Scott Manley's) but can't really seem to find it in any settings...

The Planet button to turn it off and on and cone , The dts-m1 is about it for the cone from minmus to kerbin the rest you need to be out like at duna to see the cone.