Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

I'd be interested in an explanation. Does this mean I could use a 350Gm dish to connect to a small 90Mm dish at let's say 20Gm distance? It makes sense to me since the 350 one is significantly larger and more powerful so it should be able to detect signals from small dishes or even omnis.

Relevant code: https://github.com/Cilph/RemoteTech2/blob/master/src/RemoteTech2/RangeModel/RangeModelRoot.cs , but yes, roughly what you're saying.

Did anyone ever make a guide to NathenKell mode? There's bits of information in the thread, but you really have to hunt for it.

See it

MissionControlRange = 7.5E+07

MissionControlPosition = -0.1313315,-74.59484,75

MissionControlGuid = 5105f5a9d62841c6ad4b21154e8fc488

ActiveVesselGuid = 35b89a0d664c43c6bec8d0840afc97b2

MissionControlBody = 1

ConsumptionMultiplier = 1

RangeMultiplier = 1

SpeedOfLight = 3E+08

MapFilter = Omni, Dish, Planet, Path

EnableSignalDelay = True

RangeModelType = Standard

NathanKell_MultipleAntennaSupport = False <---------------------- Here

ThrottleTimeWarp = False

When this RT2-Lite came out there was some talk about it so it would be way back in the post.

Edited by Mecripp2

See it

MissionControlRange = 7.5E+07

MissionControlPosition = -0.1313315,-74.59484,75

MissionControlGuid = 5105f5a9d62841c6ad4b21154e8fc488

ActiveVesselGuid = 35b89a0d664c43c6bec8d0840afc97b2

MissionControlBody = 1

ConsumptionMultiplier = 1

RangeMultiplier = 1

SpeedOfLight = 3E+08

MapFilter = Omni, Dish, Planet, Path

EnableSignalDelay = True

RangeModelType = Standard

NathanKell_MultipleAntennaSupport = False <---------------------- Here

ThrottleTimeWarp = False

When this RT2-Lite came out there was some talk about it so it would be way back in the post.

Nowadays it's the MultipleAntennaMultiplier and RangeModelType.

Are you using the hotfixed version (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56399-0-23-RemoteTech-2-v1-3-3-Late-Christmas-Edition?p=901076&viewfull=1#post901076)?

If so, are you seeing similar amounts and frequency of duplication and blue sky?

I am, it's not as frequent as when I wasn't using the hotfix, but it's still there.

I am, it's not as frequent as when I wasn't using the hotfix, but it's still there.

Unfortunately there's nothing then to be done until someone can consistently reproduce/trigger the bug or hope someone finds it.

An omni-directional antenna wouldn't have a high enough gain to be able to receive said instruction. For that to work the sending dish needs to be a whole lot bigger than with the high-gain dish. But this mod currently doesn't have a mechanic for calculating actual communication distances for unequal dishes.

To be realistic, there's a lot more to take into account than dish/antenna size. The biggest factor in the distance a signal would travel and be received would be the power of the transmitter, next would be the frequency. The size of the antenna needs to be matched for the frequency it's transmitting/receiving. A dish will focus that transmission for longer range. An omnidirectional antenna would be capable of receiving a signal from a powerful enough transmitter using the right antenna/dish. There's so much to factor in that it would be an entire simulation in itself that it would probably not be possible to do in KSP without bogging down the whole game, beside not being fun having to micro managing every bit of it. Some simplification needs to be done for playability, and there needs to be some way of recovering from an accidental targeting or forgetting to aim your craft's dish at a different relay satellite before going out of range, besides save game editing of course.

Did anyone ever make a guide to NathenKell mode? There's bits of information in the thread, but you really have to hunt for it.
None that I have seen.

Did some quick math examples (which I confirmed in a sandbox):

Mission Control (75 Mm) communicating with a Communotron 16 (2,5 Mm)

Max Distance = 2,5 Mm (smallest one) + square root of (2,5 Mm * 75 Mm) = ±16 Mm. That's well past the Mün.

GX-128 (400 Gm) communicating with DTS-M1 (50 Mm)

Max Distance = 50 Mm (smallest one) + square root of (50 Mm * 400 Gm) = ± 4,5 Gm. That's over 90 times the range.

GX-128 (400 Gm) communicating with 88-88 (40 Gm)

Max Distance = 40 Gm (smallest one) + square root of (40 Gm * 400 Gm) = 166 Gm. That's over 4 times the range.

What does this mean for common combinations and distances.

Twin 88-88's could never reliably cover Kerbin - Dres (if both were directly opposite the distance > 40 Gm).

With a KR-14 in Kerbin orbit and an 88-88 on your probe you can now reach Kerbin even if the phase angle is almost 180° (naturally not exactly 180° because then Kerbol is in the way).

Previously Kerbin - Jool or Kerbin - Eeloo would require a combination of any of the GX-128 and CommTech-1.

With this option, a GX-128 in Kerbin orbit can talk to a probe carrying a 88-88 even if it's orbiting Eeloo while Eeloo is at it's apoapsis.

I am using the hotfixed version of the code, but I am encouting an issue.

I have a lander around Moho with an omni 32 antenna, there is also a satellite around moho with a omni32 and a connection to Kerbin with a 88-88 antenna... Even though there is a connection between the 2 and the satellite is connected, the lander is not connected and can't receive commands...

9fuwsy.jpg

2d17pcl.jpg

Edited by oktav

Ok so i am having some issues, Maybe due to my lack of under standing, but heres my problems.

I have 3 Relays in Geo sync around kerbin and 2 Mun relays.

I just sent a probe out to mun but had to connect via dish, What do the omni-directional antenna do? I thought they were able to connect to other craft, The nearest mun relay were about 5-6000km away, Doesnt the 16 omni-directional antenna have a 2.5mm range?

I have a lander around Moho with an omni 32 antenna, there is also a satellite around moho with a omni32 and a connection to Kerbin with a 88-88 antenna... Even though there is a connection between the 2 and the satellite is connected, the lander is not connected and can't receive commands...

http://oi39.tinypic.com/9fuwsy.jpg

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2d17pcl.jpg

Question: IS the satellite connected because the other vessels targetting it are targetting ACTIVE VESSEL? Or are those vessels setup to really target that satellite?

Question: IS the satellite connected because the other vessels targetting it are targetting ACTIVE VESSEL? Or are those vessels setup to really target that satellite?
... damn.. that's what I forgot... :D thanks!

[...]

Onmis don't need a target....

I think it's one of these:

1. no charge .. run out of electricity

2. antenna not deployed

3. not in line of sight ... (parts of) moho in the way ... but it should work if the satellites are directly above the lander

If I am wrong and it's none of those feel free to correct me.

RT2 has a lot of glitches with 0.23, but I don't think errors in routing was ever one of them. Well, aside from docking/decoupling issues that should be fixed now on my local version. Again. For the fifth or so time. I swear that bug keeps popping up.

Onmis don't need a target....

I think it's one of these:

1. no charge .. run out of electricity

2. antenna not deployed

3. not in line of sight ... (parts of) moho in the way ... but it should work if the satellites are directly above the lander

If I am wrong and it's none of those feel free to correct me.

Based on what Oktav wrote it's likely that the problem is between Kerbin and the satellite with the 88-88.

And the 88-88 is a dish. From what I gather he had satellites around Kerbin set to target ACTIVE VESSEL.

Which means his satellite around Moho has a link while it has focus. But as soon as he focussed on the lander,

those satellites around Kerbin are no longer targetting his relay satellite around Moho and the connection breaks down.

Of course not :)

It's just the most common thing players new to this mod don't think about... :)

Including this one.

You could mimic Active Vessel with the new group system though. Active Vessel was made for endpoints in static satellite networks. You could simply have them all point at a single group and have your crafts subscribe to that group.

The group system would be more tolerant to decoupling. Setting a satellite's group would store (I say this because I haven't implemented it) the group data in all the signal processors on the craft. Ergo, group data is preserved on decoupling. Still need to think of how to propagate group information on docking, but not a biggy.

Edited by Cilph

Of course not :)

It's just the most common thing players new to this mod don't think about... :)

Including this one.

The logic of it tricked me initially as well, embarrassing really. However, I strongly agree that Active Vessel should stay, you just have to get the hang of it. There was a post a while back that did a pretty good job of providing case by case tutorial pictures explaining it all but I can't find it now? Ah! here it is http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56399-0-23-RemoteTech-2-v1-3-3-Late-Christmas-Edition?p=906972&viewfull=1#post906972

You could simply have them all point at a single group and have your crafts subscribe to that group.

The group system would be more tolerant to decoupling. Setting a satellite's group would store the group data in all the signal processors on the craft.

Ok, NOW you have me convinced of this group thingy! :D

LOL Now that's bad Cilph your not using your own mod what to may bug's for you HEHE that's a JOKE. :D

Ah, but it's definitely related: that shuttle has a cargo bay for satellite deployment =D.