Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

is there a maximun number of bounces/ number of nodes?

i am asking because i run into a problem that one of my probe gets no connection regardless, but then when i terminate one of the probes, it gets a signal.

Hi Cilph,

Is there an API that would allow another mod to query RT2 to determine if a valid control connection exists?

There is. Check the Github. It's a bunch of static functions that you can easily dynamically assign to delegates. PM for requests.

So, I'm about 99.99% sure that this is a bug. I am playing in career mode with one of my mods as Remote Tech 2. I sent a ship to Eve that had decouplers and 3 separate probe cores, each with antenna (2 omni and 2 directional). I had no problems setting up 2 of the probes that were intended to be orbital communications. The 3rd probe was a lander with 2 omni and 1 directional attached to the main lander body. The transfer sate which consists of merely a tank and 3 nuclear engines plus a few struts, when detached from the probe body, causes the probe to lose communications permanently. Maybe I am missing some sort of logic here, but my directional is the Comm 88-88 which I have pointed at kerbin. I have the Com 18 and DP 10 both activated with a satellite about 200km away. Both of those satellites have contact with Kerbin. When I decouple my lander from the emptied transfer in low Eve orbit, I lose all coms with Kerbin which does not become reestablished. I don't know what I'm missing here, anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: So I was looking in to my other 2 orbital satellites I sent on the same craft. They each had a heat shield and corresponding decoupler from deadly reentry. Every time I decoupled heat shield and fairing, the probe would be rendered incommunicable. So maybe this isn't strictly a remote tech issue???

Edited by Cornholio

There is. Check the Github. It's a bunch of static functions that you can easily dynamically assign to delegates. PM for requests.

Ah I see them, thanks! Looks like exactly what I need.

Now I just need to figure out how to access the plugin from outside, but that isn't your problem :) Off to Google I go!

Hello! I have a doubt i would like answered. How are other mods compatible with remote tech? I also have Novapunch and several others, but when i used a Unmanned Pod from Nova, even tough they were only fit with com's 16, they could easilly talk to eachother, is this because Nova doesn't have RT2 compatibility? How can i add it?

Also, i have seen a few messages before this someone asking what i think to be the same thing, if so, can you help me add compatibility to mods like NovaPunch, B9? Thanks in advance!

Hello! I have a doubt i would like answered. How are other mods compatible with remote tech? I also have Novapunch and several others, but when i used a Unmanned Pod from Nova, even tough they were only fit with com's 16, they could easilly talk to eachother, is this because Nova doesn't have RT2 compatibility? How can i add it?

Also, i have seen a few messages before this someone asking what i think to be the same thing, if so, can you help me add compatibility to mods like NovaPunch, B9? Thanks in advance!

Not sure about NovaPunch, but for me RT2 was compatible with:

B9 Aerospace

BoulderCo City and Lights

Crew Manifest

Davon Supply Mod

Deadly Reentry

Docking Struts

Editor Extensions

Kerbal Engineer Redux

EnhancedNavBall

Ferram Aerospace Research

Kerbal Attachment System

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Hyper Edit

KSP Interstellar

KSPX

KWRocketry

ModularFuelTanks

MultipleSavesDA

NaviFish

PreciseNode

RealChute

RLA Stockalike

SelectRoot

Targetron

TAC LifeSupport

The only incompatibility I've found is with MechJeb2, and that's fixable by disabling the signal delay in RT2.

B9 Aerospace

Crew Manifest

Davon Supply Mod

Deadly Reentry

Docking Struts

Editor Extensions

Kerbal Engineer Redux

EnhancedNavBall

Kerbal Attachment System

Hyper Edit

KSP Interstellar

KSPX

KWRocketry

ModularFuelTanks

MultipleSavesDA

NaviFish

PreciseNode

RealChute

RLA Stockalike

SelectRoot

Targetron

TAC LifeSupport

The only incompatibility I've found is with MechJeb2, and that's fixable by disabling the signal delay in RT2.

No problem with those mods, its just the NovaPunch Unmanned pods that seem not to be RT2 Compatible

So, I'm about 99.99% sure that this is a bug. I am playing in career mode with one of my mods as Remote Tech 2. I sent a ship to Eve that had decouplers and 3 separate probe cores, each with antenna (2 omni and 2 directional). I had no problems setting up 2 of the probes that were intended to be orbital communications. The 3rd probe was a lander with 2 omni and 1 directional attached to the main lander body. The transfer sate which consists of merely a tank and 3 nuclear engines plus a few struts, when detached from the probe body, causes the probe to lose communications permanently. Maybe I am missing some sort of logic here, but my directional is the Comm 88-88 which I have pointed at kerbin. I have the Com 18 and DP 10 both activated with a satellite about 200km away. Both of those satellites have contact with Kerbin. When I decouple my lander from the emptied transfer in low Eve orbit, I lose all coms with Kerbin which does not become reestablished. I don't know what I'm missing here, anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: So I was looking in to my other 2 orbital satellites I sent on the same craft. They each had a heat shield and corresponding decoupler from deadly reentry. Every time I decoupled heat shield and fairing, the probe would be rendered incommunicable. So maybe this isn't strictly a remote tech issue???

Could you describe the situation more fully?

What I gather from your post:

- An ?unmanned? ship to Eve containing three probes, two of which are to be satellites and the third one a lander.

- The two satellites have two omni's and two dishes. Which ones? 2x 88-88 + DP-10 + Comm-16?

- The lander has two omni's and one dish. Which ones? 88-88 + DP-10 + Comm-16?

- How did you check whether the satellites are connected?

- What is each dish targetting?

- What satellites are orbiting Kerbin?

- What dishes do they have?

- What are those dishes targetting?

- Is any of those targets "Active Vessel"?

B9 Aerospace

Crew Manifest

Davon Supply Mod

Deadly Reentry

Docking Struts

Editor Extensions

Kerbal Engineer Redux

EnhancedNavBall

Kerbal Attachment System

Hyper Edit

KSP Interstellar

KSPX

KWRocketry

ModularFuelTanks

MultipleSavesDA

NaviFish

PreciseNode

RealChute

RLA Stockalike

SelectRoot

Targetron

TAC LifeSupport

RT2 with KAS is known to cause RAM leakage and lockup.

I am interested in how people control landings at distant planets when you do not have a comn-net setup yet, do you have to send a relay as well as the lander in the same mission?

Usually I send orbital probes first, configured to act as relays as well. These usually end up in polar orbit (typically 1000k). The landers are delivered with a transport stage that drops off the lander in low orbit (to save fuel) and then boosts itself into a higher orbit. That way the lander can relay via the polar birds or the (usually equatorial) transport/relay bird(s).

Jool is the exception... I send two relay stations *first*, equipped with long range dishes and placed in polar orbit between Tylo and Bop. That way the actual explorer birds only have to carry the lighter and lower power consumption 'Duna dishes'. (A Duna dish will actually get you almost to Jool.... then you swap and relay via the stations.)

Could you describe the situation more fully?

What I gather from your post:

- An ?unmanned? ship to Eve containing three probes, two of which are to be satellites and the third one a lander.

- The two satellites have two omni's and two dishes. Which ones? 2x 88-88 + DP-10 + Comm-16?

- The lander has two omni's and one dish. Which ones? 88-88 + DP-10 + Comm-16?

- How did you check whether the satellites are connected?

- What is each dish targetting?

- What satellites are orbiting Kerbin?

- What dishes do they have?

- What are those dishes targetting?

- Is any of those targets "Active Vessel"?

Sorry I should have been a lot more specific.

It is in fact unmanned. I sent a vessel with a 1 to 3 stack converter on it. On each of the 3 I put a satellite with 2 omni and 2 targeting. The omnis are Com 16 and DP-10, both active and in easy distance of each other sat from this package. Each sat also has a Com 88-88 pointed at Kerbin. And even for redundancy, I have a DTS M1 that creates a little triangle between all 3 of these Eve satellites. The 1 lander probe is nearly identical to the 2 orbital probes, except for the fact that it contains all of the science gear, less fuel, and landing legs.

qwwgV1n.png

This is my first package of satellites in Eve (or Gilly for that matter) orbit, so not much else to bounce off of.

Back at Kerbin, I have 2 sets of 4 polar orbiting satellites at 500km. The main set of 4 has every single type of dish active on it all with Active Vessel as the Target. (I was having targeting issues with something else and was experimenting :D) In polar orbit at about 250km I have 2 other satellites that have 4x GX-128 pointing at Eloo, Jool, Dres, and Moho. Those same satellites also have 2x KR14 pointing at Eve and Duna. Next are KR7 pointing at Mun and Minmus. There are 4x DTS M1 pointing at my overlaying 3 satellites in the picture below at about 2.5million meters orbit, if I remember correctly. The last DTS M1 points at Kerbing and sits next to active Com16 and DP-10.

r5et0rH.png

I discovered the problem when I tried to decouple my final satellite from the transfer stage. The transfer stage has no probe after decouple. As you can see below, I have connection to Eve before I decouple.

igszpoG.png

dfHKnvk.png

This is my ship before decouple:

0NgQqtx.png

This is it after, with loss of communication:

wvbeB1p.png

EbBwYN6.png

You can see in the image that the engines and empty tank are floating away and that my 88-88 are still active and pointing towards Kerbin.

I tried trouble shooting a bit and found that when I detached the heat shields from my other 2 satellites in orbit that they would also be immediately rendered inoperable. Again, I'm using deadly reentry decouples, so maybe that is the problem? I'm not too sure :(

EDIT:

So I was messing with my inoperable satellite and discovered I am able to do a few commands. I am able to extend landing legs, decouple my heat shield, turn on RCS, but get the "No Connection to Send Command On" Error message when I try to deactivate the engine. I am also unable to throttle up.

Edited by Cornholio

I haven't encountered this.

I may have. I have RT2 and KAS installed. Last night I was upgrading my network with a total of 15 sats throughout the system. When I decoupled the 16th sat the game immediatly froze and the memory in Taskmager started steadly climing until it hit 3.8 Gb and the game crashed. (It was running about 2.2GB before that.)

I restarted, selected the save and then went into the tracking station to select my sat launch ship. The very instant I selected the tracking station the game froze and the memory steadly increased until the game crashed.

I removed the RT2 DLL and was able to load and play the game without any issue. Putting it back in recreated the freeze/crash issue.

The only way to get around this problem was to remove the DLL, go into the tracking station and end the flights of the last satellites that I'd deployed.

The only difference between those last satellites and the first 15? They had KAS parts installed on them. Removing the KAS parts and relaunching seemed to fix the issue. I'll know more as I keep playing.

Best regards,

The Dude.

I may have. I have RT2 and KAS installed. Last night I was upgrading my network with a total of 15 sats throughout the system. When I decoupled the 16th sat the game immediatly froze and the memory in Taskmager started steadly climing until it hit 3.8 Gb and the game crashed. (It was running about 2.2GB before that.)

I restarted, selected the save and then went into the tracking station to select my sat launch ship. The very instant I selected the tracking station the game froze and the memory steadly increased until the game crashed.

I removed the RT2 DLL and was able to load and play the game without any issue. Putting it back in recreated the freeze/crash issue.

The only way to get around this problem was to remove the DLL, go into the tracking station and end the flights of the last satellites that I'd deployed.

The only difference between those last satellites and the first 15? They had KAS parts installed on them. Removing the KAS parts and relaunching seemed to fix the issue. I'll know more as I keep playing.

Best regards,

The Dude.

Well that might explain why I haven't encountered it, I haven't used KAS parts on my satellites. So basically, KAS and RT can co-exist, but can not cross paths.

Is there any way to make more than one mission control?

6 kerbals on a vehicle... Or, and I'm not sure this is true, you can go to the Remotetech_Settings.cfg and add points to the Groundstations section, but idk exactly what you would need to do.

I am wondering, can I create, or download a CFG to make NovaPunch compatible? I already have one for Lack Luster Labs, but I am afraid of doing it on my own, as I may screw something up.

What you mean they just have the thorlander ? https://www.dropbox.com/s/2k39rjf5fynp49z/RemoteTech_NP_ThorLanderRCS.cfg thats all, I seen, If I missed something let me know.

Actually, there are more unmanned pods if I am correct. The specific one I was having trouble with was the M38 Unnocupied Guidance, but if you just tell me when how to make it compatible I can try it on my own. And many thanks for your aid!

Actually, there are more unmanned pods if I am correct. The specific one I was having trouble with was the M38 Unnocupied Guidance, but if you just tell me when how to make it compatible I can try it on my own. And many thanks for your aid!

You wanting to give the all probe cores ? and you use MJ ?

Try this https://www.dropbox.com/s/ekstfv68ym7432h/NP_RT2_Patch.cfg

Edited by Mecripp2

Thank you! That seems to have fixed it! Now my satellite network crashes correctly, has i only had the communotron 16 antennas! :D

Now just a little question. I only have these antennas and dishes, but given that the comm16 have a range of 2.5 Mm, my sats are at 2,8Mm (Kerbostationary), how can I establish a uplink? My first satellite, sitting atop of the KSC, with a dish pointed at Mission control and 2 others to the other sats would consume 2.5 energy per second on the dark side, meaning I would need roughly 3500 Battery Charge, quite difficult to fit in such tiny sats. Suggestions?

And once again MeCripp, thank you, It would probably be nice if this got posted on the main page, has it is very useful. I will play now and inform of eventual failures.