Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

i have them just havent tested them yet not on the computer that has it installed im at my sisters for weekend. looked at there stats and they looked good ill probaly ajust the cone to what someone suggested ealier to see also how they work. also been trying to learn blender and unity i have a very long way to go lol.

I playing with Remote Tech 2 for while now. I found the antenna alignment very tedious, for the sake of simpler gameplay I request auto-alignment feature, so as long as there is a proper antenna on the ship and it's not blocked by the celestial body there would be connection or could this be added as a part that can be unlocked later in the game. The mod brings enough difficulty by itself already. The autopilot feature is nice but, it can only perform one maneuver node. I can't make the whole set of flight program say from keribin to Eeloo. I need to separate every burn. It is still playable but would be nice if I could make the chain of events for the autopilot and execute them in sequence.

Edited by Ghost13

I playing with Remote Tech 2 for while now. I found the antenna alignment very tedious, for the sake of simpler gameplay I request auto-alignment feature, so as long as there is a proper antenna on the ship and it's not blocked by the celestial body there would be connection or could this be added as a part that can be unlocked later in the game. The mod brings enough difficulty by itself already. The autopilot feature is nice but, it can only perform one maneuver node. I can't make the whole set of flight program say from keribin to Eeloo. I need to separate every burn. It is still playable but would be nice if I could make the chain of events for the autopilot and execute them in sequence.

Sounds like you pretty much want all dishes to be Omni because all the antenna are Omni and you don't have to aim them only 2 thing you have to have is line of sight and be in range if so you can just edit the file or make a cfg to do it and the flight computer you could and maybe you should look at like KOS mod for that to.

Sounds like you pretty much want all dishes to be Omni because all the antenna are Omni and you don't have to aim them only 2 thing you have to have is line of sight and be in range if so you can just edit the file or make a cfg to do it

I might try this, since I feel that planets, blocking the signal is complicate things enough already. I understand that antennas alignment is more realistic but for the sake of gameplay I just want to think: “If I have a proper antenna with proper range for this mission� rather than all other stuff “Which satellite is now in range, if the antennas are aligned or if a switch to this satellite will I loose control?†for each connection session it will also eliminate tedius switching from ship to ship in order to check the alingment. Satellites in real world have auto aligning feature so if they loose contact they try to align to other dishes or satellites, so maybe it should be included as a separate antenna computer part that will do this work later in the game. I’m mostly ok with current game mechanic, but found it a little bit too tedious to be fun in the long shot.

And the flight computer you could and maybe you should look at like KOS mod for that to.

I’ll give it a try, but I felt it sort of scripting language rather then maneuvers planner. What I want to plot the whole maneuvers set and then leave the satellite to execute them. Not write the flight program script.

Features request:

1. Contact lost ETA - alert feature that will warn me that connection is going to be lost soon.

2. Relative distance discriptions - I think it would be nice to have descriptions in antennas relative to Kerbin and other celestial bodies rather than pure numbers or maybe some build assistant that will show if my range is enough for that particular body. Say I’m going to Jool what antennas I need for this probe?

3. Tracking stations on Kerbin - It will fit nice into the game if with game progression you will be able to unlock (Or purchase when game will have some economy implemented) tracking stations at various locations. It can be done with existing game parts using the crew and large probe core for control, but it makes it difficult to use this concept with life support mods and it’s kinda strange that you need to fly your hardware to build up tracking station on your own planet.

4. Landing computer - With time delay enabled I can only land probes on atmospheric planets (plot the decent and enable parachutes). How I’m supposed to control the probes for landing maneuvers with long time delays on bodies with no atmoshere such as Jool moons or Eeloo? Currently I have to bring mothership to area with control relay crew in order to land a probe on non-atmospheric moons (I never really do this since it easier and produce more science to just land with the crew). I think that landing computer of some sort should be implemented for this.

Edited by Ghost13

@Ghost13 Yes landing at a range with delay can be very tough some people turn it off by editing RemoteTech_Settings.cfg or send a 6 kerbal crew command first to cut the delay and there are some mods that give you the range to planet body's or you can use RasterPropMonitor if you have it installed it won't take long and you'll know what dish for what and on landing there are some dishes you can use to for keep in range or take MaxQ= out of the antenna settings.

Here are some cfg if you want makes all dishes omni and 1 cfg takes out delay and 1 if you want to remove MaxQ the name close to it in the RT2 folder needs zipped up so you can change back later if you want.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uk5eumx2aeg75ry/RT2_cfgs.zip

Edited by Mecripp2

@MeCripp

Thank you for the cfg files, that was really nice of you. I'll try this at home later with my Carrier mode. After playing for a while I got the feeling that Remote Tech with the current form is more like a mod that you are playing for its specific gameplay. What I'm trying to get from the game is difficult fairly realistic but enjoyable experience along with other realism mods such as Deadly Reentry, TAC life support, FAR and few others. Maybe there can be "Remote Tech 2: Omni Light" version for this particular purpose with no time delay and omni antennas.

Feature reqest:

I found it virtually impossible to create the stationary orbit over Kerbin without MechJeb, so it might be nice to add feature to the flight computer of Remote tech to perfect the orbit once you have reached more or less similar obit say after you get something within 2 700-2900 km orbit with inclination less than 3 degree you can press the Synchronize orbit and the computer would trim the orbital parameters to perfect synchronous orbit. This way you will still have the challenge to reach the corridor for synchronizing computer to kick in but you can have stationary orbits without MechJeb for your constellation of com sats or if you are playing Carrier with MechJeb much earlier in the game (where you actually need them most). This feature can also be a part to make it available slightly later in the game than initial probe cores and antennas.

Hey Cilph, assuming I have your permission (and Carmic's permission), how would I go about adding RT2 functionality to some of the AIES antennas not supported by RT2? There are some smaller dishes (The CL-1, CM-60, Omega G2, and CommTechs 1 and 2) that would be great for small interplanetary probes and manned spacecrafts that don't need or have room for the larger dishes. The ones I mentioned specifically more or less copy the high gain antennas of the early probes (Mariner, Viking...etc).

So anyway, assuming it's cool with you, how would I do this? I'm using RSS/RO if that matters.

Hey Cilph, assuming I have your permission (and Carmic's permission), how would I go about adding RT2 functionality to some of the AIES antennas not supported by RT2? There are some smaller dishes (The CL-1, CM-60, Omega G2, and CommTechs 1 and 2) that would be great for small interplanetary probes and manned spacecrafts that don't need or have room for the larger dishes. The ones I mentioned specifically more or less copy the high gain antennas of the early probes (Mariner, Viking...etc).

So anyway, assuming it's cool with you, how would I do this? I'm using RSS/RO if that matters.

What AIES RT cfg you have are they from a older AIES ? https://www.dropbox.com/s/snk48kxc0shuztb/RemoteTech_AIES_3.zip

They should be in there by glancing at it.

Edited by Mecripp2

I found it virtually impossible to create the stationary orbit over Kerbin without MechJeb, so it might be nice to add feature to the flight computer of Remote tech to perfect the orbit

Don't worry about creating a perfectly circular 2968.75km altitude orbit (for Kerbin anyway), it is not essential

With a roughly circular orbit ~2970, set your geosync satellites up via their orbital periods (Kerbin is 6 hours). It is much easier to get a satellite's orbital period to exactly 6.00.00.0 than it is to finesse the altitudes to exactly 2868.75/2868.75.

Same for anything else, match the satellites orbital periods and your network will be stable

Yes, that what I'm doing more or less trying to get to circular orbit aroud 2960-2980 km. It's just frustrating that after several years of the game time all the comsats get out of place, I still have the nececary coverage at all (mostly) but the perfect statinary orbits is what this mod propose to do. In real life satelites have RCS to keep their orbits from decay or dislocation, it would be nice to see this also in this mod.

@MeCripp

Thank you for the great mod that returned my interest to the game after Eve return mission in 21.0 I feld kinda done with the game. But Remote Tech is great I think it shuld be stock more or less at least Omni Light version of it :)

I found it virtually impossible to create the stationary orbit over Kerbin

Get better at the game.

Contact lost ETA

Low priority. Very hard to implement for what I feel makes you lazy.

Relative distance discriptions

We had a system for this but I left this out with RT2. "Dunar-class", "Kerbol-class", and so on.

Landing computer

No-no-no. Nodes are the only automation you'll get. I wanted to rely on kOS integration for landings.

Tracking stations on Kerbin

There is support for multiple stations, just no way to place them from inside the game. Besides, your low orbit network should be used for this.

----

You are aware that RT2 is simultaneously supposed to make the game harder, right? Not just fancier. Predicting contact loss is part of the gameplay.

Edited by Cilph

Get better at the game.

I believe I'm fairly good at the game, trying to catch up with perfect stationary orbit just tedious and not fun (at least for me).

Low priority. Very hard to implement for what I feel makes you lazy.

Well I can see why you will need to take many factors into account such as location of the craft and celestial bodies and it’s location. There is however a dirty simple way to implement it, when the contact is lost by the craft in the current implementation of RT display a message Signal low and give some short period of time 30-60 seconds of control. The link might become red or blinking red in the map view for this purpose.

We had a system for this but I left this out with RT2. "Dunar-class", "Kerbol-class", and so on.

That would be nice to have, it is fairly easy to do since it's just description of the parts editable with cfg files.

No-no-no. Nodes are the only automation you'll get. I wanted to rely on kOS integration for landings.

I don't see how it is possible to do landing on Eeloo or even Joolian moons unmanned at the current state of things with time delay enabled and with no mothership relay anywhere around. Some sort of landing assistant would be nice part of the mod. If the kOS would be easy to use that that’s the way to go. I have not use it, but from YouTube videos got the impression that it is simplified scripting language of some sort. It would take some time to figure out all the landing parameters and when someone figure them out we will end up with landing scripts to be on the forums for copy and paste. It might be still fun thought.

There is support for multiple stations, just no way to place them from inside the game.

I'm not so familiar how the game engine works on this level. But with Kerbin city mod, I believe it is possible to place the structure somewhere on the globe, but for the sake of simplicity it might just be the dot's on the globe, that can relay signal. The same way that there is no any visible antenna at KSP command center.

Besides, your low orbit network should be used for this.

Absolutely, it just adds some realism for the game to unlock say relay station somewhere on the other part of globe later in the tech tree progression.

You are aware that RT2 is simultaneously supposed to make the game harder, right? Not just fancier. Predicting contact loss is part of the gameplay.

I’m ok with fancier game as long as it fun. Everyone set the difficulty level by themselves.

Originally before RT2 was released it had its own fork of Progcom to allow for remote landing procedures. However this is such a pain to maintain that I decided to just leave that to other plugins. And then kOS was developed. =D.

The hardest part of RT2 is that if you install it after starting to play, you either have to restart completely, launch everything again or make EVA missions to every satellite to set targets for all the dishes?

Phew, good thing that the new version will only come after .24 landed and I am in for a restart then anyway! :D

Yes, that what I'm doing more or less trying to get to circular orbit aroud 2960-2980 km. It's just frustrating that after several years of the game time all the comsats get out of place, I still have the nececary coverage at all (mostly) but the perfect statinary orbits is what this mod propose to do. In real life satelites have RCS to keep their orbits from decay or dislocation, it would be nice to see this also in this mod.

@MeCripp

Thank you for the great mod that returned my interest to the game after Eve return mission in 21.0 I feld kinda done with the game. But Remote Tech is great I think it shuld be stock more or less at least Omni Light version of it :)

I'm not the author of the mod just one of the must have mods, I use and if your talking about the cfg file no problem just trying to help.

EDIT Cilph is the author and much thanks to all that had a part in the mod. :D

Edited by Mecripp2

So, I just launched a probe to Eve, and it has a communotron 88 dish. I'm playing on a realistic-scaled kerbol system, which rescaled the 88 to have a range of 400 Gm, as opposed to its older 40 Gm. It loses connection after barely leaving Kerbin's sphere of influence, at about 5.6 Gm, and never reestablishes itself. I have tried bouncing off relay satellites in Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus orbits. I have tried leaving it at 'no target', connecting only when KSC is in sight range. I did some reading, and tried setting it to just target Kerbin. While each of these methods have obstructed line of sight intermittently (as expected), the comms fizzle utterly after reaching the ~5.6 Gm mark, and never reestablish, even after getting clear LOS again. The github page for RT2 indicates that the 88 is meant to do Eve/Duna missions, and the cutoff is well before even its unscaled 40,000 Mm range.

I am not seeing any feedback concerning what precisely is wrong, is that info available somewhere I havent looked yet?

Other info, if its important:

I previously refueled the probe using KAS, while it was still in LKO, and after that was done, had to fiddle with 'control from here' to make mechjeb work right again, but there were no comm issues when that happened.

The craft IS powered, and I ensured that the solar panels were oriented to face the sun.

The relay satellites used had CommTech 1 dishes on them, and I also tried some older ones which had 88s on them as well. The relays were alive and well at the time.

Originally before RT2 was released it had its own fork of Progcom to allow for remote landing procedures. However this is such a pain to maintain that I decided to just leave that to other plugins. And then kOS was developed. =D.

What is the current state of kOS support in RT2?

I don't have kOS but I see that 0.11 was just released a few days ago, does the kOS program/op stay active when RT connection is lost or is that a planned feature?

@IonMage what RSS file you using for RT2 from what, I could find, I don't see how alot of the dishes are work in RSS ?

You can try this https://www.dropbox.com/s/vju7bw71qpf6dhl/RT2_RSS.zip

Switching those in made all my antannae/dishes retract :(. The only satellites still working are the ones which have non-retractable ones, and I can't order the dead ones to re-extend since they no longer have a connection.

But, I was lacking those configs, so I'll try and see if that helps in any way. Appreciate the effort nevertheless.

@MeCripp

I have tried your config but instead of making all antenass just passive omni with huge range it breakes things when Dishes are thinking themself both as omni and the dish same time. And if you look at the part discription in VB it will say it is both Dish and Omni antenna. It even have two buttons for activate and deactivate the antenna. I guess part of the Dish code is hardcoded and can't be changed by simple cfg editing. Or maybe some other mod kicks in and messes things up. I guess, I'll just use the mod the way intended it is tedius but I used to it already.

@Cilph

Sorry for giving the false credit for your work to MeCripp, he responded so fast so I assumed that he is a part of dev team at least. Thank you for the mod it is really fun and must be stock (maybe without time delay). I want to donate for your hardwork but paypal is not accept payments from Japan. Any other way to send payment?

Edited by Ghost13