Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

@Cilph

There is way to study the planets atmoshere and structural composition by the way signal with craft is lost (or required) while being obscured by celestial body. I think it would be nice if we can perform such an experiment using the remote tech. It might be a sepearate part or just science button on antennas. The idea is that when the first time your craft uplink get obscured by celestial body you will get some science, that is transmitable after the link was re-established this can be done once per planet. Also there is could be some scientific bonus from the craft that is far beyong Eeeloo orbit and still mantain radiocontact, (the same way sciene is still extracted from Voyager telemetry) can this be implemented as part of the RT? If it is not distracting you too much from your mod main concept development?

@Cilph

There is way to study the planets atmoshere and structural composition by the way signal with craft is lost (or required) while being obscured by celestial body. I think it would be nice if we can perform such an experiment using the remote tech. It might be a sepearate part or just science button on antennas. The idea is that when the first time your craft uplink get obscured by celestial body you will get some science, that is transmitable after the link was re-established this can be done once per planet. Also there is could be some scientific bonus from the craft that is far beyong Eeeloo orbit and still mantain radiocontact, (the same way sciene is still extracted from Voyager telemetry) can this be implemented as part of the RT? If it is not distracting you too much from your mod main concept development?

This is taking it a bit too far, frankly. I wanted to include scoops and cameras to replace Surface Samples and Crew Reports, but other than that, no plans.

This is taking it a bit too far, frankly. I wanted to include scoops and cameras to replace Surface Samples and Crew Reports, but other than that, no plans.

As long as their is a better way to set up ground networks I'll be fine with it, annoyed a bit,but fine with it.

Beastly Science has those

Yup, and I intend on including them with RT2 once the textures are a bit tweaked. I'll contact him eventually.

As long as their is a better way to set up ground networks I'll be fine with it, annoyed a bit,but fine with it.

Well, over-horizon comms is on the issue list...

Yup, and I intend on including them with RT2 once the textures are a bit tweaked. I'll contact him eventually.

Well, over-horizon comms is on the issue list...

Good cause right now,I got like 20 relays between KSC & a north pole station.

As why there so many,lets say it isn't always easy to cover last distances without losing connection,near the poles and the equator the distance seems short

Edited by Resender

Why though. Could you not just put up an LKO network of 3-6 sats?

Only reasonable explanation I can come up with is that he wants to fly unmanned planes in the atmosphere. So long range antennas would snap so he uses the 500km one instead.

Cilph,

I have a few questions and possibly a suggestion.

1) Does mission control have unlimited dish range? For example, If I had a probe orbiting Jool, could that probe's dish antenna establish a two-way direct connection with mission control, bypassing my comm network, assuming the probe's dish has adequate range, and there is line-of-site?

2) Is there a way to selectively deactivate RT2 on a specific save, or do I have to remove or replace the .dll and restart the game? I ask because I have a blank slate sandbox game where I like to test out launch vehicles, ascent profiles, staging...etc, and I hate losing comm before orbital insertion.

3) I know this has been brought up before with a lot of negative reactions, but is is possible to add multiple tracking stations on the surface, connection via some imaginary terrestrial connection? Basically a Kerbal Deep Space Network; 3 stations roughly 120 degrees apart

I know RT2 is about realism, but this isn't an unrealistic request, rather, I think it would add to it. Even in the earliest days of space exploration, there was global, if not spotty, coverage provided by aircraft and ship mounted antennas, and land based coverage from friendly nations. It just doesn't make much sense that the only point of contact is the KSC. It also makes setting up your network, especially that first relay, less of pain.

Cilph,

I have a few questions and possibly a suggestion.

1) Does mission control have unlimited dish range? For example, If I had a probe orbiting Jool, could that probe's dish antenna establish a two-way direct connection with mission control, bypassing my comm network, assuming the probe's dish has adequate range, and there is line-of-site?

2) Is there a way to selectively deactivate RT2 on a specific save, or do I have to remove or replace the .dll and restart the game? I ask because I have a blank slate sandbox game where I like to test out launch vehicles, ascent profiles, staging...etc, and I hate losing comm before orbital insertion.

3) I know this has been brought up before with a lot of negative reactions, but is is possible to add multiple tracking stations on the surface, connection via some imaginary terrestrial connection? Basically a Kerbal Deep Space Network; 3 stations roughly 120 degrees apart

I know RT2 is about realism, but this isn't an unrealistic request, rather, I think it would add to it. Even in the earliest days of space exploration, there was global, if not spotty, coverage provided by aircraft and ship mounted antennas, and land based coverage from friendly nations. It just doesn't make much sense that the only point of contact is the KSC. It also makes setting up your network, especially that first relay, less of pain.

1) Yes it does, also unlimited vessels can connect to it. It's basically an unlimited ranged Omni.

2) No, you could duplicate an antenna and edit the settings to give it unlimited range. You can also copy paste your carreer save file, edit it and give yourself a ton of science then you pretty much have a sandbox mode without needing to make a new network.

3) I don't know details but he's working on some kind of over the horizon connections. Don't think this means multiple stations though.

1) 75Mm actually.

2) Not officially.

3) Yes. Config file allows for multiple tracking stations. Over-Horizon comms is being discussed/worked on. Turns out to be very tricky.

Edited by Cilph

1) 75Mm actually.

2) Not officially.

3) Yes. Config file allows for multiple tracking stations.

1) I know the Omni range is 75Mm, but the dish range is unlimited, yes?

2) I'll figure something out.

3) I looked at the cfg, and I found the tracking station

STATION
{
Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc488
Name = Mission Control
Latitude = -0.131331503391266
Longitude = -74.594841003418
Height = 75
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
}

It looks like all I have to do to place another station is to copy that and change the longitude, but what do I put for the name and the Guid? And will the multiple stations be connected to each other?

Why though. Could you not just put up an LKO network of 3-6 sats?

That wouldn't be a challenge + I did that last season of my lp

+ the fact a ground based network can exploit how Kerbin & it's moons behave

+ I want to limit the objects I have in orbit off Kerbin to a bare minimum so I don't have to fight space debris all the time

As for the amount,I flew the first as unmanned aircraft/drone/landers.

The closer to the equator the distance I could fly before losing connection was 75 km in the air, 30 km on the ground (meaning I could fly 75 km from a comm relay or ksc, but the max distance on the ground when landed & still having comms was 30)

Bit more north I have comm lines going up to a 100km

Bit more north from that it dropped to 50 km max on the ground

Just started landing on the ice with max ranges of 20-30 km,with about a 100 km of the location for the polar relay

Edited by Resender

There is no comms during the EVA when I try to transmit the the EVA report or other science game says "There is no comm devices" is it a bug or feature. In the stock game you can route EVA reports and other science via main ship wihout boarding.

Make up a name and a unique(!) Guid. They are not connected, but they will all provide control and an endpoint for science.

Nice is there any way to integrate this Deep Space Network stations into the tech tree? Getting them right from the start of the game feels little bit too easy.

Does the current game allow you to transmit surface samples / eva reports without boarding? How does it do that?

It doesnt, "No Comms" message appears. It would be kinda neat to have a very short range transmitter in the suit maybe 1-3km?

I'm fine with it being for EVA reports, but...surface samples? That's why I didn't implement it yet...

Right now when you take a surface sample. You can take it to the pod and transmit from there. I imagine that a pod would have some tools for analysis (eg scale, special lighting for photography), but you are still sending from there.

I honestly haven't looked at the science discount part of the API, Maybe make surface samples transmitted from EVA cap even earlier that those transmitted from the pod?

Does the current game allow you to transmit surface samples / eva reports without boarding? How does it do that?

Yes, the stock game 0.23 allow you to transmit EVA reports and other collected science without boarding, as long as the ship have the comm devices. The cap is the same as if you send from capsule. But with Remote Tech Kerbonauts seems doesn't have antenna in the suit anymore. This may become a problem when you collect say two Mysyery Goo experiments and try to board with them. Since capsule can only have one experiment you will have to dump one of the resoults since you can't transmit it from EVA without boarding and and up loosing the all results.