Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

What does aiming at a planet/moon even do

A dish aimed at kerbin will auto-connect with dishes IN ITS CONE that are also pointed at the original dish. So, a 25deg cone at the Mun will cover most LKO sats around Kerbin, if they are also pointed at the Mun. With greater ranges, cone angle comes into effect. Long range dishes have small cones, so you will have difficulty unless you aim at the target specificly. Then you add planet occlusion to make it more complex (you can use an inclined KSO sat to minimize occlusion)

A dish aimed at kerbin will auto-connect with dishes IN ITS CONE that are also pointed at the original dish. So, a 25deg cone at the Mun will cover most LKO sats around Kerbin, if they are also pointed at the Mun. With greater ranges, cone angle comes into effect. Long range dishes have small cones, so you will have difficulty unless you aim at the target specificly. Then you add planet occlusion to make it more complex (you can use an inclined KSO sat to minimize occlusion)
@0bj4ct7 if you was to have like DTS-M1 dish around kerbin and 1 around mun and use target body kerbin target mun and mun target kerbin the cone you see on the map any dish targeting that body and is in the cone and line of sight will connect if you go outside of the cone you lose your connection.

It would be hard for you to use the body connection with Crius's because from kerbin there is no body that Crius's stay's by for it to work it would be a hit and miss.

Thanks to you both, but why doesn't sun probe get a connection when crius is pointing at an active vessel and has connection?

EDIT, FIGURED IT OUT WHILE TYPING: Because Crius get's connection from a probe called Chronos - Kerbal 1, which is an arbitrarily chosen equatorial probe, part of my Kerbal communications clusterf*ck! It has it's dish set to active vessel, which means that when anyhing else is played, it's of course in the dark. The funny thing is that I was just reading a guide on reddit and have seen this mentioned and chuckled, like "pff, what simpleton would do such things". I guess I have to watch out in the future. :)

Great mod, love everything about it (even the delay, god it took me by suprise that first time on minmus) and thanks again for swift replies!

Edited by 0bj4ct7

My workaround is to have multiple dishes in comsats with one dish set to active wessel but the rest are properly set to coresponding satelites. It is greatly increase the power requirements though.

@Cilph

Everyone want a new version of RT, maybe say 100 Euro can speed up the development :) ? I'm ok with bank wire transfer by the way.

Edited by Ghost13

thanks Ghost13, but one more question.

when I point a dish to kerbin I always have no connection, im not sure if its a bug or a problem with the pilot.

i have a major sat with a gigadish poiting to active vessel, but my probes pointed to kerbin have no connection, i had been editing the save file to point direct to the satellite to get some signal

There's a donate link in the OP for that

It dosn't work from Japan I already tried. Some sort of PayPal restriction. I would be be happy to use some proxy person who can send money to Cilph and can accept money from Japan.

when I point a dish to kerbin I always have no connection, im not sure if its a bug or a problem with the pilot.

i have a major sat with a gigadish poiting to active vessel, but my probes pointed to kerbin have no connection, i had been editing the save file to point direct to the satellite to get some signal

The KSC antenna is omni antenna with 0.075 Gm range which is only enought to go as far as Kerbin system (1.5 times Minmus). After that no direct contact may be established between craft and KSC whatever antenna is installed on the craft since KSC antenna will be out of range. You may solve this in two ways:

1. Buid a rover with giant antenna and move it just outside the the launchpad or airstrip and set it to connect to active wessel (you will need a probe core on this thing for a relay). I belive Scott Manley use this approach I have seen such a relay in his videos.

2. RT2 intended solution progress you comsat network further and further to have full coverage.

3. Simply edit the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg and edit the line Omni = 7.5E+07 to Omni = 40000E+07 this way command center will be able to connect anywhere in the Kerbol system as long as you have proper dish pointed to KSC and there is no obstruction to signal. It will be somewhat unrealistic since there is no omni antenna with such range actually possible. I guess if the mod development will progress, It would be nice to have upgrades with command station in KCS where you can install move powerfull antenna as the game progresses. Since having such short range is also somewhat unrealistic.

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1rml0r/tutorial_complete_novices_guide_to_remotetech_2/ - Please read thise guide it will cover all the information about usage of this mod.

Edited by Ghost13

Ricardo, I believe when you have a dish pointed at the active vessel you must have the corresponding dish pointed to that vessel. If I remember correctly, that target selection is a dish to dish not a cone setting, resulting in a dish pointing to Kerbin not making a connection to that dish. The way to use it you would have the sat set its dish to active vessel, and the active ship pointed at that sat in order to have a connection. To connect by pointing toward Kerbin you would have to be in a SOI which has a dish pointed in that direction, for example pointing a sat dish at Duna, your ship in orbit around Duna with a disk pointed to Kerbin would then have a connection.

I hope this helps :) It took me quite a while to figure it out myself.

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1rml0r/tutorial_complete_novices_guide_to_remotetech_2/ - Maybe some if this guide shuld be incorporated into the mod as help or something. It's kinda overwhelming when you start playing with the mod.

I think there is a work around for Kerbals EVA having no comms.

There is a small mod that adds mechjeb core to the EVA

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70328-EVAMechJeb-%282014-02-20%29

If we add omni antena capability to the MJ core than kerbals also would be able to transmit science say within 500-1000 meters from the ship whcih is normal for the suit. I don't have game at my work PC to test it right away.

Edited by Ghost13

Ghost13, if you can't donate it's no big deal. I'm definitely not taking them via bank transfer. :blush:. I've got a job and a stable income now so it would be spent on hardware and pizza. It wouldn't speed up development. My limiting factor is time, not money.

As for documentation, I'm thinking of putting up a Github Pages website detailing the project plus full documentation. The wiki approach kinda failed. Documentation is not one of my strong points but I do want to make the 0.24 release my most documented and structured release yet. I guess it all comes down to when 0.24 releases.

Edited by Cilph

I've got a job and a stable income now so it would be spent on hardware and pizza

Send me your adress via PM and local Pizza that accept credit cards I'll treat you with some big one ;) This mod gave me so much fun. Not just playing but messing around and disscussion tread is so interesting. It's a really bright spot in my lonely life of scientis in Japan.

As for documentation, I'm thinking of putting up a Github Pages website detailing the project plus full documentation. The wiki approach kinda failed. Documentation is not one of my strong points but I do want to make the 0.24 release my most documented and structured release yet. I guess it all comes down to when 0.24 releases.

Maybe some more ingame info? Via parts description and VAB building aid where you can set up your goal and it will tell what antenna you will need for comms. Or give you a warning if you forget to put omni on. As for the KCS range maybe you can get some sort of indicator to map screen that project the cone of KCS antenna range, it will remove so many qestions such as "Why I loose comms after minmus"? It also can be used to illustrate the range of other antennas. (I have no idea how hard it would be to implement).

By the way will adding the MJ core to kerbal EVA (via the mod I mentined the previus post) fix the no comms issue, or is it part dependent?

RT doesnt interact with MechJeb much. What it does however is remove ModuleDataTransmitters on anything with a SignalProcessor and replace it with a ModuleRTDataTransmitter if a connection to KSC has been detected. This is due to a quirk in the stock code where I can't have a transmitter tell anything searching for it to go away and ignore it. (ie. no way to disable a transmitter other than removing it)

RT doesnt interact with MechJeb much. What it does however is remove ModuleDataTransmitters on anything with a SignalProcessor and replace it with a ModuleRTDataTransmitter if a connection to KSC has been detected. This is due to a quirk in the stock code where I can't have a transmitter tell anything searching for it to go away and ignore it. (ie. no way to disable a transmitter other than removing it)

I see, well let's hope you get more spare time to add new features and configs for RT3. EVA comms would be nice too.

I'll probably adapt a new versioning schema. RemoteTech [Major].([squad]).[Minor] ->

2.(2.3).1,

2.(2.4).1,

2.(2.4).2,

2.(2.5).1,

RT 3.(*).* would probably be reserved for a future maintainer :P.

EDIT: probably spending the entire evening making logos for the competition.

Edited by Cilph

So I know this is not a unique problem, but here it goes: I have a probe headed to Duna with a 600Gm range dish active, powered, and targeting mission control. Mission control is in direct line of sight, with no obstructions, and I'm only 1.5Gm away, yet I have no connection. Did I forget to do something?

Mission Control does not have infinite range. Only 75Mm. You need a relay. Optionally just set the range to infinite in the config.

Yes,that's true. It's not cause one sie has the range the other side can answer

Because Mission control is directly on the terminator, and when I'm on the probe view, I can plainly see the terminator, and the continent where mission control is.

SO the probe isn't that far out that you can't see the dot clearly.

Also if this probe is going to Duna,how were you planning to make course changes when you got there,in other words whats your alternative paths

If I have a satellite (A) and I want it to be able to communicate with Mission control, but A does not have direct contact but another satellite (B) does, can A target B alone to get contact to mission control? B has contact to both KSC and the probe :P

I thought that was only for omni? it doesn't have unlimited range when communicating with dishes?

Mission Control is a dummy satellite with a single 75Mm omni antenna. It'll function like any other Omni<>Dish connection.

I'm back, with this:

http://imgur.com/a/SzCZd

The thing was a single vessel at one point, and then got decoupled. The dish part has direct communication to mission control (as evident by the green icon) and both have 5Mm omni-antennas active.

Shouldn't the lander part be able to connect to the dish part with the omni and get connection from there?

Make sure 'Crius: Kerbal 1' isn't using Active Vessel. When controlling the lander, the lander is the Active Vessel, it has no dish to resolve a connection with. Now you could say "but they're so close! it should work!", and you're right. It will in the future.

Edited by Cilph

Make sure 'Crius: Kerbal 1' isn't using Active Vessel.

Sigh, I just figured it out and have removed the post, since it became redundant. One time was apparently not enough to learn, i am looking forward to whatever alternative to this system is presented in next versions.