Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

If I have a satellite (A) and I want it to be able to communicate with Mission control, but A does not have direct contact but another satellite (B) does, can A target B alone to get contact to mission control? B has contact to both KSC and the probe :P

If A points at B, and B points at A, while B has contact with KSC via a different antenna - yes, that works fine.

For those who want Comms on Eva the only way, I found so far is to give a part that can be grabbed with the KAS mod and give it a probe core or to grab a probe cord then eva as comms but for the Transmit you will need to add some good power to it looks like most parts given to EVA is in a .dll looked at Romfarer,VanguardTechnologies,EVAMechJeb,in the Vanguard thread there is a .dll that gives eva parachutes you can find it here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25305-0-23-Vanguard-Technologies-EVA-parachutes-23!-Sry-4-not-fixing-earlier-(Dec-30)/page6?p=442982&viewfull=1#post442982.

Okay I like the idea but the addon has to go. It's killed two landings now that I should clearly have had a connection and the connection goes red. Then I have a sat on the surface with two dishes pointed clearly at two vessels each of which have one dish pointed directly at it and the connection is now red and I cannot get a connect back!!

This mod HAS TO GO until it's working right!

The problem is it digs itself in like a TICK to every vehicle and I am now 7 years into my career mode. Can I remove this addon without killing every one of my vehicles?

Okay I like the idea but the addon has to go. It's killed two landings now that I should clearly have had a connection and the connection goes red. Then I have a sat on the surface with two dishes pointed clearly at two vessels each of which have one dish pointed directly at it and the connection is now red and I cannot get a connect back!!

The problem is it digs itself in like a TICK to every vehicle and I am now 7 years into my career mode. Can I remove this addon without killing every one of my vehicles?

Did any of the sat have a dish pointing at your KSC network and KSC network pointing at them ?

Did any of the sat have a dish pointing at your KSC network and KSC network pointing at them ?

yes. there was a complete green connection from ksc all the way to the two vessels that had their dishes pointing at my probe and my prob pointing back at BOTH. This is not the first time this has happened. In fact it is happening far to often hence the reason RT2 MUST GO! I just do not know if it can be removed without killing my entire seven year of career game by destrpying every single ship with an antenna which is 99% of everything in flight! I am quite pissed about it.

As for documentation, I'm thinking of putting up a Github Pages website detailing the project plus full documentation. The wiki approach kinda failed. Documentation is not one of my strong points but I do want to make the 0.24 release my most documented and structured release yet. I guess it all comes down to when 0.24 releases.

It's not so much the wiki approach failed as it was (no offense intended) poorly implemented and executed. Wiki's work best when there's at least one strong maintainer who can put down the bones that will then be fleshed out by others. The RT2 Wiki had/has no such strong maintainer, and there really can never be one because there's no documentation and we (the users) are stuck with scraps and hand-me-down information gleaned from posts you've made. There's nothing from which to build the bones.

May I suggest trying a hybrid approach? That you build the documentation in the wiki, that provides the bones that the rest of us can then build on.

Actually there was a lot of info about RemoteTech that was spread via reddit that simply never made it to the wiki. You have a point that there was never a strong maintainer, but I was hoping for someone to volunteer :(.

Actually there was a lot of info about RemoteTech that was spread via reddit that simply never made it to the wiki. You have a point that there was never a strong maintainer, but I was hoping for someone to volunteer :(.

I just switched to a gh pages refdoc and i like it so far. the wiki is hard to manage and you can accept pull requests for documentation. We have talked about requiring pull requests with features also update the documentation :)

Now that you've ranted and got the frustration out of your system how about giving us some detailed information on your network so we can fix where you've not correctly designed your network.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - This mod works fine. It is my belief that the majority of problems related to this mod come from a incomplete understanding of how the components work which leads to a badly designed RT network. I know Cilph has some changes in mind and I'm personally against some of them because I feel that some of them are to accommodate badly designed networks. Except the "Target active vessel" which I believe has created the VAST MAJORITY of the issues discussed in this forum. That needs to go.

Post pictures of your com sats, a picture of your overall network, a better description of what you're trying to do and where it's breaking down and we'll be able to help.

Best regards,

The Dude

I would be sad to see "Target active vessel" go away, as it's quite handy if you know what you're doing with it. Is hiding it behind an advanced mode setting instead of removing it completely an option?

The only legitimate problems I've encountered with RT2 so far (that haven't been fixed):

1. Vessels that are unloaded from the active scene do not correctly act as relays.

This is easiest to see with an example. Mothership M has a big dish and an omni antenna. The dish is pointed at the home satellite network. Probe P, which has only an omni antenna, decouples. It's fine, so long as it stays in physics range of mothership M. As soon as it gets past 2.5k and the mothership unloads, P loses its connection and can no longer be controlled, even though it's still well within the range of M's omni antenna.

Quicksave and reload is the easiest way to fix that problem, but it's still annoying, especially if the probe is in the middle of a circularization burn, or worse, already in an atmosphere.

2. Sometimes RCS stops working after undocking. I haven't yet done scientific testing to prove that this is a RemoteTech bug, but it seems to only bite me when I have RT2 installed so I'm about 75% sure. The symptom is that you simply can't turn RCS on, even though you otherwise have control of the craft. Again, quicksave and load fixes it.

I have downloaded the mod, and the installation page for it (@Kerbal Spaceport)is blank. I have searched and searched for info on how to install it, but to no avail. If you would please post the installation instructions on that page, or on this forum, that would be most helpful indeed!

Install should look like KSP/GameData/RemoteTech2

EDIT and the ModuleManager file KSP/GameData

only need 1 ModuleManager the newest is ModuleManager_1_5_6 and there is a bug fix on first page link here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56399-0-23-RemoteTech-2-v1-3-3-Late-Christmas-Edition?p=901076&viewfull=1#post901076

EDIT 2 the fix is just a RT2.dll

Edited by Mecripp2

I have 4 satellites around kerbin each with a 51 minute 37 second orbit period (likely not exact but thats what MJ says >.>), but they have every so slightly different orbit. Does the Pe/Ap count or is it just orbit period?

This is going to come off rude and disrespectful but its not intended.

Does this mod work?

I was reading soon after release there were some major bugs and I was watching and waiting for a new release. There hasn't been one (not being critical), so I'm asking - are there known bugs and will they stop me enjoying this great mod? Cheers.

This is going to come off rude and disrespectful but its not intended.

Does this mod work?

I was reading soon after release there were some major bugs and I was watching and waiting for a new release. There hasn't been one (not being critical), so I'm asking - are there known bugs and will they stop me enjoying this great mod? Cheers.

Yes it works and there are some bugs,I think and there is alot of human error that people think are bugs but for me it's a must have mod.

I have 4 satellites around kerbin each with a 51 minute 37 second orbit period (likely not exact but thats what MJ says >.>), but they have every so slightly different orbit. Does the Pe/Ap count or is it just orbit period?

Orbit period will keep your sat in place longer through all the time warps for me that the best thing to do just remember kerbal days are 6 hrs not 8.

I'd be happy to help out if nobody with more seniority wants to. I haven't been playing with RemoteTech 2 for too long, but I've really enjoyed it so far -- even the mishap when my far side Munar relay crashed into a polar crater :rolleyes:. And really, if there's anything KSP and its mods need more of, it's clear documentation.

I would be sad to see "Target active vessel" go away, as it's quite handy if you know what you're doing with it.

Indeed. The problems caused by "Target Active" won't go away just because "Target Active" does - because they weren't caused by "Target Active" in the first place. They happen because RT2 is a complex and unintuitive mod with a steep and unforgiving learning curve. When "Target Active" goes away, they'll just find another function to be the cause of "most errors".

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

I suspect if you have RT parts on your vessels then those vessels won't load (but other vessels will still work). You should be able to remove the plugin and leave the parts in place. They will be dead weight (not working) but your vessels will still load.

Ninja'd

Edited by togfox

I would be sad to see "Target active vessel" go away, as it's quite handy if you know what you're doing with it. Is hiding it behind an advanced mode setting instead of removing it completely an option?

I'm with you on that one, I quite like the Target Active Vessel feature, and it has never given me any trouble.

Ricardo, I believe when you have a dish pointed at the active vessel you must have the corresponding dish pointed to that vessel. If I remember correctly, that target selection is a dish to dish not a cone setting, resulting in a dish pointing to Kerbin not making a connection to that dish. The way to use it you would have the sat set its dish to active vessel, and the active ship pointed at that sat in order to have a connection. To connect by pointing toward Kerbin you would have to be in a SOI which has a dish pointed in that direction, for example pointing a sat dish at Duna, your ship in orbit around Duna with a disk pointed to Kerbin would then have a connection.

I hope this helps :) It took me quite a while to figure it out myself.

nice, thanks for information. sometimes I find myself confused with this kind of stuff

Now that you've ranted and got the frustration out of your system how about giving us some detailed information on your network so we can fix where you've not correctly designed your network.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - This mod works fine. It is my belief that the majority of problems related to this mod come from a incomplete understanding of how the components work which leads to a badly designed RT network. I know Cilph has some changes in mind and I'm personally against some of them because I feel that some of them are to accommodate badly designed networks. Except the "Target active vessel" which I believe has created the VAST MAJORITY of the issues discussed in this forum. That needs to go.

Post pictures of your com sats, a picture of your overall network, a better description of what you're trying to do and where it's breaking down and we'll be able to help.

Best regards,

The Dude

I have over 77 ships in orbit and almost every single one is a probe with antennas. Trying to describe the network and descriptions and pictures of every satellite would take pages! It would be easier for you to explain why RTDEBUG is the last module called when I do a alt-f2 and then the program just hangs in that routine until the game runs out of memory! What is more maddening is that it's not consistent. One time I will sit and reload the game 50 times get pissed and go away. Come back and load the very same persistent.sfs file and get into the TS first try!!!! It's ****ing maddening!!! All I can see is every time it does hang it hangs in RTDEDUG!!!

Furthermore what do you mean by a BAD network. I have basically two kind of commsats. The ones around kerbin have 1 gtx-128, 4 88-88's and 2 dts-m1's and a comm32. The ones around other bodies generally have a comm32, 2 dts-m1's, and an 88-88

the omnis are all in range of each other, one dts-m1 is generally aimed ad active vessel on all sats. the others are assigned targets as needed. I have a 6 satellite pattern for most bodies (kerb, mun, min, duna, ike, and eve so far). four sats equatorial in high eccentric orbits in a clover pattern (the idea being they spent most time at the high end of their orbits) and two in high circular polar orbits 90 degrees apart.

I favor orbital heights (measured from the center of the planet) around 2771 because this keeps all the comm32's within 4.8Mm of each other.

In addition I am using the interstellar pack and fractal uk decided to change the way the seismic sensor works so I have an additional 6 landed relays on mun, min, kerb, duna, ike, and eve - four at the cardinal points around the equator and on at each pole. They consist of a comm32, 2 dts-m1 or aies pcf5's and a seimic sensor

So adding all those up you have 12 probes per body (ker, min, mun, duna, ike, eve) that's 72 each with three to seven ant/dishes ea that's over 288 ant/dishes plus I have 4 scanners flying oover each body - SAR, RADAR, BIOME, KETHANE and each of those has at least a comm32. Plus I have manned vessels with dishes / ant to transmit crew reports!