Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Hmm... looking at the config files, would I just have to remove the Mode0/Mode1 lines or change them to an astronomically high number to get the "Only LoS Needed" effect I'm looking for?

If you just want line of sight, mod them to an absurd number in the 500Gm range.

Cilph, just to make sure I understand dishes clearly, if I were to launch a probe to Duna, I would both have to set the probe's dish to target one in orbit of Kerbin, and set one of the dishes on a satellite orbiting Kerbin to target the Duna probe before the probe got out of signal range?

No, You need to set the dish of the probe heading to Duna torwards Kerbin. Then you need at least 1 satellite between Kerbin and you where the satellite can link up to the KSC. So really only 1 dish is needed.

Cilph, just to make sure I understand dishes clearly, if I were to launch a probe to Duna, I would both have to set the probe's dish to target one in orbit of Kerbin, and set one of the dishes on a satellite orbiting Kerbin to target the Duna probe before the probe got out of signal range?

As long as you set it up before leaving Kerbin, it should not be a problem.

Nice thing about this new version is that cones are explicit, if the cone of satelite/probes point (and of course within range) at each other they'll get the signal through even if the dish is not specifically aimed at them. For transit you can get a sat to constantly point at your Duna probe (and the probe to point back), but once it's at Duna, you just tell the probe to point at Kerbin and anything near Kerbin (with range) to point at Duna and the signal will get through

ok thank you I'm only in 10th grade and only in the starts of geometry so I wanted to get my math checked thank you and that is very sad since I think the longest range atenna is only 5Mm...

wrong that is no were nere the smallest there is a 400.00Gm one at end of tech tree :)

I like the idea of the requiring and setting up a network of satellites to send signals to probes. I would like to use this mod with the Real Solar System mod that is being worked on but the signal range from KSC isn't far enough to reach Keo-Stationary orbit. Is there anyway to change the range in a .cfg file or did you hard code it into the mod?

...I would like to use this mod with the Real Solar System mod that is being worked on but the signal range from KSC isn't far enough to reach Keo-Stationary orbit. Is there anyway to change the range in a .cfg file or did you hard code it into the mod?

within the GameData/RemoteTech2 folder there are a couple of .cfg files from where you can edit the range variables. The two you will need to edit are AFAIK:

RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg & RemoteTech_Squad_Antennas.cfg

for omnidirectional antennae, the variable you will need to modify is; Mode1OmniRange

for dishes, the variable is Mode1DishRange

Edit: Derped a bit there. The range of KSC is sadly hardcoded. You could always just place a relay station on the ground near KSC.

Edited by JDP

within the GameData/RemoteTech2 folder there are a couple of .cfg files from where you can edit the range variables. The two you will need to edit are AFAIK:

RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg & RemoteTech_Squad_Antennas.cfg

for omnidirectional antennae, the variable you will need to modify is; Mode1OmniRange

for dishes, the variable is Mode1DishRange

Edit: Derped a bit there. The range of KSC is sadly hardcoded. You could always just place a relay station on the ground near KSC.

Rofl. Geostationary altitude is at like 30.000 km. KSC reaches to 75.000 km. It should work fine.

For some reason I can't send PM's, yeah MJ is working fine in more testing. I'm even trying out the MJ unmmanned pod added in version 2.1 of MJ. I'm using cfg that of the RT squad probe settings. Seems to work, I just have to add the Reflectron DP-10 in VAB to get it out in orbit, that is as expected.

so I finally got it done =)

7A4218F360AC92089B6A18D3F4C7DD6BAFBC81AB

4 sats at a orbit of 1 Mms works nicely each sat has 2 of the vanilla atenna and two of the first gen dishes spread apart by 90 degrees or 2,262,741 meters they have a orbital period of 1:52:46.8-1:52:46.9 they will be stables for a very long time =) I'm very pleased with these results =D I'm happy to be able to use remote tech again too thanks cilph you did an amazing job! on a side note what do the buttons do on the bottom left i've played around with them i know the 1st 3rd and 4th but not the second.

I am having trouble setting up my network orbiting Kerbin. My sats are launching with 1 x Reflectron SS-5 and a CommTech EXP-VR-2t. The issue is that the omni-directional antennas don't seem to be able to communicate with each other. I am trying to put 3 comm sats in geostationary orbit to start.

Just finished my network and I can tell you, the 4 sat keostationary network is far better than what I have set up. I have a great, 6 sat system, at 150km orbits with a ring of 4 sats at a 275km orbit and my KerSta-2 Station at 100km orbit helping control them. Next I am going to cover he poles with a 45 deg ring of 4 that will give me 75% coverage of both poles.

Just a question. I hated one thing about remote tech, when i used it firstly.

I launched first sat into obrbit, and setted up maneuver node to circularize on AP. I even used some sort of mod to automate it (it was some kind of ingame CPU) after it went from signal range due to kerbin shade, i expected the command to be sent already and execute on its own. But it didnt.

In real world, they send probes to mars and other planets, planning "enter orbit" burns behind planets, which are precalculated and presended to probe, and then performed automatically without signal from Earth. After while, when the probe comes from behind planet, they see how sucessfull maneuver was.

Is this possible with remote tech 2? Am i able to launch vessel to sub-orbit trajectory, cut the engines when Ap is like 100km, orient vessel for next burn and set it to burn for 30 sec in this direction after 3 minutes.

Then when the probe falls behind horizont and no longer receive signal, the probe would still perform predefined actions and enter orbit, if those actions were set correctly?

Thanks.

Yeah I see what you are saying with throttle. There is Resistance but I am able to move throttle up and down, just not as fast as before. Throttle needle shakes when I put it in position.

I don't know if Cilph's MJ fix is the only related bit. I noticed the same behaviour when battery is drained and engine/panels can't provide more recharge than the antenna(e) (and SAS if you're using it) require. Battery drained causes loss of contact, throttle heads to zero, a bit of charge arrives and throttle goes up, battery drains and back toward zero in rapid succession.

It's a good indicator of a power imbalance and a reminder to deploy those PV arrays :)

* Color active connection lime green

* Enable cone display for dishes targeting planets

* Toggle display omni, dish, omni + dish

* Same status indicator as in the top left. Clicking allows you to set the dish targets.

This needs to go on the front page :)

Many kudos for this release, so very glad to see it back up to full strength. The UI is such an improvement and fits wonderfully with stock, especially these icons on the map view, and the new target selector is very aesthetic. I hope the integrated comm-sat part that is being discussed is kept in a separate pack, having a single part that includes probe, power, antenna, fuel and propulsion just feels way too convenient - slapping random parts together for something that barely works is much more Kerbal :)

This is part of my trifecta of difficulty mods for Career Mk2:

• FAR for realistic launches but so, so much harder on re-entry (just try getting a survivable sink rate in early career without decouplers)
  • of course, Deadly Re-entry makes the air lethal too instead of the ground and forces you to pay attention to craft balance to keep the pointy end out of the slipstream
  • and RT to force some real planning and launch window requirements on your missions to ensure sunlight and signal path don't stop the SCIENCE.

Of all the other mods I've added to career this one hits tech-tree balance the best - everyone else seems to want to give a sandbox feel to career but RT keeps me hunting for more SCIENCE, while making it just difficult enough that it is its own reward!

I think until the other orbital bodies get biomes I won't miss signal delay too much, since there's not much incentive for me to head over that way right now.

Beautifully done sir!

This might be as intended, but I want to know for sure.

Two things happen.

1) The reduction in science.

I'm testing it with just the starter command pod and the first antenna. Crew reports generate 1.5 science and shows 100% under the transmit button. Putting this ModuleManager.dll (10/17/2013 9:33PM), it still shows 1.5 and 100% but upon transmitting, the result it 0.6. If I recover the capsule instead of transmit, I get the expected 1.5.

1) Indeed a bug if your statement is correct. I'll have a look.

I can confirm this loss of SCIENCE on transmissions with the first dish (I forget the name) from Minmus (only test I've done so far) with a direct link to KSC.

2) Clicking the transmit button doesn't cause the antenna to extend automatically, you have to extend it and then click the blue transmit button.
2) Intended. The science transmission can only take place over links that lead back to KSC. As such antennas are not automatically activated or disabled.

Additionally, having dishes permanently enabled drains battery, so this encourages you to activate the dish on your manned ship only when you have an actual need to transmit (as opposed to probes that require it for all control). I've been assigning an action group to toggling the applicable antenna so I don't have to go hunting it down whenever I want to send SCIENCE to KSC.

Is it possible to include the version number within the thread name... I had no idea that this was even updated since 1.0 and i am sure there are others that are running on old versions just due to them not knowing.

Edited by Sigma52

Compatibility wish: MechJeb , use it's functions for the flight computer. (used the signal delay on the mechjeb buttons, for example you push the "execute next node " button it starts a counter and execute teh button push only after the delay)

BTW I LOVE YOU THIS IS MY MUST HAVE ADDON :D

I think I am going to take RT code out of the MJ pod. Even though its a unmanned pod, the pod is pretty much a robot who can control the vessel as if it was manned. So there is no need to remotely control it from the ground. I totally overlooked that.

For some reason I can't send PM's, yeah MJ is working fine in more testing. I'm even trying out the MJ unmmanned pod added in version 2.1 of MJ. I'm using cfg that of the RT squad probe settings. Seems to work, I just have to add the Reflectron DP-10 in VAB to get it out in orbit, that is as expected.

Compatibility wish: MechJeb , use it's functions for the flight computer. (used the signal delay on the mechjeb buttons, for example you push the "execute next node " button it starts a counter and execute teh button push only after the delay)

BTW I LOVE YOU THIS IS MY MUST HAVE ADDON :D

I have an old flight computer that works exactly like that. Itll come back in later. Even has a queue and cancel.

Regarding the person who asked about using this on rescaled Kerbin, I've been testing a fork that allows specifying Mission Control's position and antenna range via CFG. When it's solid, Cilph, I'll add it as a pull request.

It was already coming in the settings module actually.