Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

my three Kerbin-Comsats get to target the list of the three Mun-Comsats with one dish and the three Minmus-Comsats with the other dish. Your "my way or the highway" idea would require me to put six dishes on the Kerbin-Comsats for no gain whatsoever.

You can target a PLANET with a dish. That's what dish cones are for. Next example, please.

I do not understand the need to remove an existing feature if some people don't know how to use it. Yes, I'm talking about active vessel targeting. What's the alternative anyway?

Why even if i put satellite dish (this weakest) and make in deployed in vab by tweakable, its no connection on launchpad?

The dish must be targeted at something, not only deployed. There is, AFAIK, no way to target it anywhere during construction.

I started career mode with RT.

Why even if i put satellite dish (this weakest) and make in deployed in vab by tweakable, its no connection on launchpad?

Because it doesn't know what to target, even if deployed, and 3km core internal antenna isn't researched yet? Try adding the smallest omni antenna to your launch vehicle.

Sure, i added smallest one.

Using fact that smallest has always connection on launchpad i set up targer (kerbin) in dish antenna.

And when a retract small one, ship still loses connection. Or even if i dont retract it it falls of during launch.

u31SzTy.jpg

Its active, its targeted at kerbin, no connection.

Edited by kiwiak

Hello,

I have some problem with this mode..

When I try to use "probeStackLarge" for a mission controle center on other planet (need 6 crew) some time it s work but 80% of time I can t controle my probe to this vessel. I have a correct link betwin the two ship but on the probe have "no control".

You're targeting a planet, cone goes straight down, ksc isn't in the cone. Try the same on orbit.

How i am supposed to go into orbit when i cant controll the ship? (small antennas fall of the ship during flight)

All deployed antenna's will break when flying in atmosphere. That's supposed to happen. They say they do this in the VAB.

If you are using mod parts you may find RT2 does not work with them. RT2 is only configured for stock Squad parts.

YES! All this "active vessel" targeting, sat groups and (proposed) autoredundancy shouldn't be there. Those who don't want to design their relay networks may simply cheat

Those of you who don't want to use them are free to not use them if you wish - however, stop imposing your playstyle on the rest of us. Stop saying that not having OCD and not wishing to play 'hardcore mode' is cheating.

As to the removal of "Active Vessel" ending mistakes, I fear that you're badly mistaken Cliph. RT is a complex mod no matter how you slice it, and making it more complex and difficult will not reduce the number of user problems... rather, quite the opposite.

Hedzup, If you were referring to my post, then I didn't explain correctly what each satellite was connected to.

Each satellite in that relay has 4 dishes on them. They point from Satellite 1 -> 2 -> 3 around kerbin, then the Mun satellites 1, 2, 3, each connect to their corresponding satellites around kerbin, then to each other. The third dish on each is set to active vessel in case I miss a switch, while the fourth was set to relay to the scanning satellite I had in orbit.

And no matter what I did I lost connection.

The only way I was able to successfully connect the scanning satellite was by directly connecting it to the ones in Kerbin's orbit. To me that makes no sense. It had a clear command patch. In this case, KerbSat 1 connected to KSC, Kerbsat 2 connected to Mun Sat 2, Mun sat 2 was connected to KerbSat 2, MunSat 2 was also directly connected to MunScansat. Scansat originally was using an omni array. Then I even tried aiming a DTS array at the mun satellite and it still wouldn't work.

Finally I, just connected directly to KerbSat 2 and it worked, except I lose connection when I go around the dark side of Kerbin and lose mapping ability.

Looks like your not targeting kerbin with a mun sat ? only the 1 shot and thats because it was active vessel.

EDIT 1 of the mun sat. needs to target kerbin with the DTS-m1 best to use the cone from kerbin to mun.

Edited by Mecripp2

I've been having an issue I didn't have in older iterations of RT2.

For instance, I would send a mission with a large probe with a dish antenna+omnidirectional to orbit Duna with a smaller probe with an omnidirectional antenna that could link to the bigger probe orbiting thus relaying my signal back to kerbin. The thing is that, with this latest version, this doesn't work anymore and I only found out in Duna.

Was there a change on the code or something, because if it didn't this kind of thing is really frustrating; you just can't expect that RT will work as predicted.

And yes, I have tried switching to some other vessel and back and still didn't work.

You can target a PLANET with a dish. That's what dish cones are for. Next example, please.

My bad, I thought this was also easy mode in your eyes.

Next example: for interplanetary communications I have relay satellites in highly eccentric orbits above the poles. This way it is quite easy to set up connections between the inner planets. The (planned) relay in Jools orbit would need multiple (or at least two) 400Gm antennae (one for every relay in the inner planets) to guarantee coverage. With sat lists I can tell it to point at the Kerbin relays and, when those are not available, look to Duna or Moho or wherever another relay is. This way I only need one dish and can build a compact satellite that I can hide inside fairings during launch and behind heat shields for Jool aerobraking.

Besides this point, satellite lists are far more efficient in CPU-use since RT doesn't have to check for every vessel in the target body's SoI whether it is inside the cone or not, it just has to check line of sight for a small list. I could also mention realism but I do not want to open that particular can of worms.

Edited by cfds

The current system is basically O(n^2) (every satellite checks every other satellite). This flexibility allows NathanKell's range model to work, omni connections require it, and cones do as well. I did however rewrite it to just check every combination of two satellites and not every permutation - saves half the load, which is spread over 50 physics frames anyway.

FYI, a cone check is a dot product and a comparison. Not an awful much, but this is Unity we're talking about.

My bad, I thought this was also easy mode in your eyes.

This way I only need one dish and can build a compact satellite that I can hide inside fairings during launch and behind heat shields for Jool aerobraking.

Besides this point, satellite lists are far more efficient in CPU-use since RT doesn't have to check for every vessel in the target body's SoI whether it is inside the cone or not, it just has to check line of sight for a small list. I could also mention realism but I do not want to open that particular can of worms.

Why would I treat it as easy mode? Targeting planets with dishes was always in the mod. Dish cones are an improvement of existing feature: now you can't simply target sun to get everything in the interplanetary space connected.

Building compact (yet able to maintain several connections) satellites is a design challenge. You don't want it? I admit that sat lists may be a solution. Another solution, which I like more, is NathanKell's additive range calculation and extended list of deployable dishes (there were some of them in RT and RT2 predecessor, RTE, and I still hope for their return).

Sat groups aren't really realistic as announced: there wasn't even "primary-standby" logic, this mode will effectively turn dish into omni antenna, always connecting to every sat in the group at the same time. So, yeah, don't look into the can.

Sat groups aren't really realistic as announced: there wasn't even "primary-standby" logic, this mode will effectively turn dish into omni antenna, always connecting to every sat in the group at the same time. So, yeah, don't look into the can.

I understood that the lists would work in sequence: connect to the first, if that one is not available connect to the second and so on. If a satellite would be connected to all in the list at once then you are right, the feature would be overpowered.

I understood that the lists would work in sequence: connect to the first, if that one is not available connect to the second and so on. If a satellite would be connected to all in the list at once then you are right, the feature would be overpowered.

Pretty sure you're right, it's basically a priority list.

No, he was right. Dishes would connect to every sat in the group simultaneously. Pathfinding would find the route most suited for your controlled vessel, so it's not completely unrealistic given that you can only control one vessel or cluster of nearby vessels at once. I can however limit the size of groups.

Connecting to only one in the group would bring up issues regarding priority that I'd rather avoid.

Edited by Cilph

Hi, I have a problem. I have installed 4 Commutron 32 and when I try to reach the 2.868km for geostationary I lost the connection about 2.400-2.500 km... the batteries are full and the antennas are directional towards the ground. What am I wrong?

Ps: sorry for my english... I am italian and I don't speak english very well.

Thank you :)

Edited by Preliator

Commutron 32 is the 5Mm omni right? If so you only need one as it can connect to any number of vessels within its range. If you're using a dish point it at Mission Control. In any case, it sounds like Kerbin rotates while you're transferring to KEO and KSC therefore runs out of sight. You need to make sure KSC has a direct line of sight to your probes. I suggest launching your initial KEO network with manned vessels, at least until you have 3 up so you have close to global coverage.

Your English is perfectly fine BTW.