Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Thank. As you can see there is a direct line to the ground (KSC?) and this is the first satellite... I can't send the others 2 if I am unabe to create a geostationary orbit system... Am I wrong?

http://imgur.com/a/TzdeH

It looks like you lose connection at 2500km, you must've used the 2.5Mm omni instead. They look the same but one has 2.5 and the other has 5. You can't make a network with the 2.5Mm, which is the first in the tech tree until a little later. When you're building them next time, just stick one omni as they can target unlimited vessels. Having more than one only consumes more power.

Hi Cilph

I've noticed a timer display issue (not the warp-related ones I've seen reported earlier).

The countdown to an action in the list on the right of the UI window seems to be displaying incorrectly. When an event has 2m01s remaining it is shown correctly, two seconds later it displays 59s remaining instead of 1m59s. As it reaches 0s it again shows 59s remaining and the event fires off at the correct time so it is probably just not displaying the 1m component for events between 119 and 60 seconds.

I'd also like to know if it is by design that I can't seem to queue a command (e.g. kill rot) if connectivity is absent. I have already sent a re-enable antenna command so it will be established, or perhaps I know I will be in range at a future date. If this is by design then that's ok, but it was unexpected - perhaps if connectivity is not established in time for the event to arrive at the designated time it can simply be discarded.

I was getting frustrated that my probe's antenna kept falling off during re-entry until I figured out how to use the delay, especially the first command - retract in the future, and in the meantime accept the following timed commands. It's also a tad confusing that I can't set up a bunch of delayed commands (e.g. four minutes from now), then issue and immediate command after that (I'm done queuing, go ahead and retract), so checklists are a must. Again, if by design then fine since inserting commands into an existing list as opposed to simply appending is a coding headache, but it is a bit counter-intuitive.

Now that I've got these timed commands nailed I am having such a blast getting flimsy craft safely back to kerra-firma. Thanks for all your work!

It looks like you lose connection at 2500km, you must've used the 2.5Mm omni instead. They look the same but one has 2.5 and the other has 5. You can't make a network with the 2.5Mm, which is the first in the tech tree until a little later. When you're building them next time, just stick one omni as they can target unlimited vessels. Having more than one only consumes more power.

I was going to suggest this as well. So far my network though consists of 1 KS "komm" sat, and 4 in orbit around 300km if I remember correctly. I think I launched the KSO sat with a capsule on it though I can't remember for sure. It can be done unmanned I think, as long as you go straight up until about 30k and gradually do a gravity turn. This way your AP should remain in view of KSC long enough for you to get a stable orbit. Of course then the Pe is on the opposite side so it is hard to get a KSO Ap above KSC like that lol.

Maybe I setup my 300km 4 sat network first (using the same method of unmanned and a steeper ascent profile) and then sent the KSO sat up. My 4sat network was also sent all at one time, 4 sats on the same launcher, then had my Ap/Pe adjusted so every time the launcher came around to, in this case Pe (set to 300km, and Ap much higher), I released a sat. This way the sats were released at 1/4 of the way around the orbit, give or take, as I was sort of just guessing lol. I did have to adjust their positions to get as close to 300km as possible as they got way out of sync. Some were off by as much as 5km which over time ended up making a huge gap in the net. Was "easy" enough to fix as I just had to adjust the orbit depending on if there were too close or too far from the sat in front of them. Will likely need adjusting again eventually but so far its ok. Original plan was to send up a 3 sat network for KSO but I was having connection problems I think and was trying to do it unmanned so thats when I did the 300km network, may not even need a complete 3 sat network really. Right now though I'm working on getting more science as there are some parts I want to get, so I haven't put much more thought into the network...

I was originally trying to fit close range and long range into the same network, but I think I'm going to work on a "deep space" network that I might just put in orbit around Kerbol at Kerbins orbit.

Anyway enough rambling for now lol

I use 5 KEO sats which replaced my first career network of 5 semi-synchronous sats early on. They're all pretty "old" tech, none have ion engines or anything fancy. It's a little pain to maintain but now they're all within 60m of each other's orbit (the most deviation from 2868.75 is about 2868.71). They're within 1-2ms apart in orbital period and took about 3 or so in game years to drift out of range of one sat. I have those pointing at a rather big relay with lots of dishes, located at 25Mm. It has 6 Kerbin system dishes and the rest are long range, progressively in the tech tree. This station acted as my main and only relay for Kerbin. Now I have 4 relays in low kerbol orbit (500 000km) which can be used and usually are. I haven't set up a network for Minmus (no point really) but I have one for the Mun even though it's useless.

I think you shouldn't overdo it, you don't need a lot of sats, you just need to make sure you are always connected to KSC and the easiest way to do that is with some KEO sats that you take a long time to place as precise as possible.

266 pages is a bit hard to search through, so sorry if this has been covered.

Any chance of a part that will only activate when touched down and stopped on Kerbin and will provide a direct root connection like what the space center has?

Something to simulate the planetary infrastructure you couldn't possibly build in game and allows creation of "hardwired" communication outposts like what current space agencies have.

Any chance of a part that will only activate when touched down and stopped on Kerbin and will provide a direct root connection like what the space center has?

Something to simulate the planetary infrastructure you couldn't possibly build in game and allows creation of "hardwired" communication outposts like what current space agencies have.

Not exactly. There's GroundStations{} in RemoteTech_Settings.cfg where you may define your own control centers. If it makes you feel good, you may land some structure there, but it's not required.

just build u a base on other side of planet with atleast 6 kerbins and they act as a command node.

Does anyone have a File to give the FASA explorer, remote tech?

It's a simple edit. Just look at the Remote Tech probe cfg and find the proper name of the FASA part. Copy an entry in the cfg and replace the name. Bam. Done.

Not exactly. There's GroundStations{} in RemoteTech_Settings.cfg where you may define your own control centers. If it makes you feel good, you may land some structure there, but it's not required.

Yeah, that ground station entry is what gave me the idea. I was also thinking an antenna that had the same stats as the space center groundstation along with the "needs to be landed on kerin" requirement, but that might make things too easy.

Though, .24 is supposed to add an economy, maybe the ability to create new ground stations could be an option. Pay cash to build/upgrade groundstations across kerbin.

just build u a base on other side of planet with atleast 6 kerbins and they act as a command node.

It is something I considered, but TAC Life Support makes that a bit hard for the long term and it doesn't provide a science transmission endpoint.

That's a TAC problem, not an RT2 problem. Can't you just parachute supplies every once in awhile? Put your supplies on wheels. Or drop TAC.

TACLS isn't stopping RT2 from using a 6 kerbal vessel from being a science transmission endpoint. And "drop the other mods" is a poor solution to a small realism problem in a realism themed mod.

I use TACLS with remotetech to give each other meaning. Either mod by themselves just encourages avoiding the harder vessel control scheme.

I posted because it's a simple idea that adds realism to fix a problem, and it never hurts to ask.

Though if it is a bad thing to ask I'd rather just learn C# and make the change myself. I learned java to do that with a minecraft mod.

Is there a video or example somewhere of doing this? I'm just getting started with this mod and knew at some point I had to make a base. Do I need to make a base on Kerbin too?

Is there a known workaround for ships that undock/detach and can not gain connection? I have a long range ship with a live connection to KSC - when I detach a lander that has the dipole and the 2.5m communion active, it does not have a connection.

I developed an unmanned aircraft with disposable wings & landing gear, allowing me to land it with parachutes and landing legs.

After it landed it acts as a ground based relay, I'm going to make a chain from KSC to the North Pole where I'll set up an unmanned relay station that connects up with relays on both Mun & Minmus's poles

I'm doing this since my keostationary satellites always seem to degrade their orbital periods

Is there a known workaround for ships that undock/detach and can not gain connection? I have a long range ship with a live connection to KSC - when I detach a lander that has the dipole and the 2.5m communion active, it does not have a connection.

Is the long range ship being directly targeted by a dish, or is it connected simply by being the Active Vessel? If it's only connected because you have something back at Kerbin set to aim at the Active Vessel, that link will break as soon as you switch your control over to the lander.

I more and more concur, the "active vessel" was an issue from the beginning - giving every processor/probe core its own ID/name and targeting a specific probe core maybe?

How does RT handle name changes after docking maneuvers anyway? (Maybe I missed something?)

I more and more concur, the "active vessel" was an issue from the beginning - giving every processor/probe core its own ID/name and targeting a specific probe core maybe?

How does RT handle name changes after docking maneuvers anyway? (Maybe I missed something?)

RT points at the GUID identifier assigned to a vessel. (128-bit random number). Decoupling/undocking create a new vessel while the original vessel loses parts. The question is which half contains the root part :P.

I could fire a RenameEvent that forces all dishes targeting a now defunct vessel id to point at the new one. (for docking). But decoupling is more difficult and requires user interaction (picking which of the two to point at).

Edited by Cilph

When decoupling, one of the vehicles will retain its original name. Why not use it?

It is. But what if you intended to point at the other half ;)? The system has no way of knowing. When you split a vessel in two, the one with the root part retains the original name and identifier. (RT exclusively uses identifiers, not letter names). The other half is created as a new vessel. Signal Processors on that decoupled part unregister themselves with their old vessel and onto their new vessel.

Targeting an individual signal processor or dish would solve the issue, but that would make the targeting such a mess, wouldn't it? Since targeting will now nearly always use cones (except groups), you will have plenty of time to switch targets without losing connection.

Edited by Cilph

Since targeting will now nearly always use cones (except groups), you will have plenty of time to switch targets without losing connection.

You'll need that time too... because with 'Active Vessel' no longer in play, your game will now revolve around the "rebuild your network" mini-game. Heading out of Kerbin orbit into the deep black? You're not in anyone's cone. Making a burn on your way to Jool, you're not in anyone's cone. Etc... etc...

"Active Vessel" is a key tool that removes a great deal of drudgery from the game. Removing it won't end PEBKAC problems, it will only change their source. This is a complex mod and PEBKAC is to be expected as people climb up the (quite steep) learning curve.

It's a simple edit. Just look at the Remote Tech probe cfg and find the proper name of the FASA part. Copy an entry in the cfg and replace the name. Bam. Done.

Ok did that, thanks, but can someone tell me what I have to chnge, so the Explorer Body also has a working antenna?

With a omnirange of 100km when not deployed and 2000km when deployed and that It brakes of when you open it in the Atmosphere?

sorry, I am really bad with these kind of things :/

Ok did that, thanks, but can someone tell me what I have to chnge, so the Explorer Body also has a working antenna?

With a omnirange of 100km when not deployed and 2000km when deployed and that It brakes of when you open it in the Atmosphere?

sorry, I am really bad with these kind of things :/

@ Giddi here https://www.dropbox.com/s/hp5gf43q6ctckl1/RemoteTech_FASA_Antennas.cfg

EDIT you can edit the range if you want and the brake off part take out the line that has MAXQ=