Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Looking for some people to test the new Flight Computer and future kOS integration. Hit me up via PM. Won't be sending anything today though.

My gaming computer is out and down for the count at the moment. When I fix that I am open to any test necessary. RT + kOS is a dream and I would not mind pitching in to get it to where it needs to be.

Found some unexpected side effects:

When trying to doc with a RC satelite, you can't right click and target a docking port. Comes up with 'no connection' message and the target on the docking port is removed (or doesn't stick).

A RC satelite that has no connection can't be renamed.

Not sure if these are intended - will post more as I find them.

I cant seem to get this to work at all, I tried a fresh ksp install with only the gamedata file for remote tech 2 on download, I don't get any functionality except parts. i tried a probe with the different antennas right beside ksp, i tried other stuff, nothing can communicate with space center, sais "no communications devices on this vessile" or something of the like... any ideas?

no red dot at command iv seen in youtube videos so far either.

EDIT!!!: so... idunno cause I thought I had got it from both, but I downloaded it from spaceport this time... installed over the other copy for the 5th time and this time it worked for some reason, the github copy could have an issue.

Edited by CrazyCanadian

OK.... about the animation issues, i guess i found the reason:

I'm using the TweakableParameter plugin (link is in my sig) and i wrote a ModuleManager config file to add that module to all parts.

And when i delete that config file, RT2's antennas are back to life (they will extend themselves when being activated).

I don't know what's wrong with this, but I wonder if it's related to iterating modules when initializing parts... I checked the debug tool in game and see that in the database, these antenna parts have their config like this:

PART
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleTweakableParam
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTAntenna
DeployFxModules = 0
}
}

Does that "DeployFxModules = 0" means you assume that the first MODULE in this part is the animation module? If i manually change that to 1 will it solve the issue?

And another question that may belong to author of ModuleManager, which i will turn to for help later: how are the order of these configs being parsed, is there any way to control the order?

I cant seem to get this to work at all, I tried a fresh ksp install with only the gamedata file for remote tech 2 on download, I don't get any functionality except parts. i tried a probe with the different antennas right beside ksp, i tried other stuff, nothing can communicate with space center, sais "no communications devices on this vessile" or something of the like... any ideas?

EDIT!!!: so... idunno cause I thought I had got it from both, but I downloaded it from spaceport this time... installed over the other copy for the 5th time and this time it worked for some reason, the github copy could have an issue.

There is no copy on github, what are you on about. Did you compile by hand or something?

Edited by Cilph

My guess is it was related to the modulemanger dll, which I'd guess may not be included with the github version.

My guess is it was related to the modulemanger dll, which I'd guess may not be included with the github version.

There is no compiled copy on the github of the main plugin :/.

right here

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/16347-0-20-RemoteTech-Relay-Network-%E2%80%93-RemoteTech-2-has-opened-up-for-playtesting

https://github.com/Cilph/RemoteTech2

theres a link , basically the same file when I look at it but its obviously outdated for some reason.

cause if you google "remote tech 2 ksp" , that's the page that comes up.. if you google" remote tech 2 ksp .22" you get this forum thread.

right here

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/16347-0-20-RemoteTech-Relay-Network-%E2%80%93-RemoteTech-2-has-opened-up-for-playtesting

https://github.com/Cilph/RemoteTech2

theres a link , basically the same file when I look at it but its obviously outdated for some reason.

cause if you google "remote tech 2 ksp" , that's the page that comes up.. if you google" remote tech 2 ksp .22" you get this forum thread.

I merged the lite branch with the master branch, that should stop some confusion at least.

There is no compiled copy on the github of the main plugin :/.

Right, I figured as much. I guess when someone says "the github copy could have an issue" they likely compiled it on their own, possibly missing something?

Where can I find a guide how this whole thing works?!

As in, how to playwith it? The first post has some info and as great as it is, its still a little confusing. Im not hating or discrediting. It is a complex mod and not intuitive straight away. Im still learning it and confusion stems from mod ignorance and small bugs and not knowing where the fault lies (module manager vs remotetech).

When i feel i know enough and tried it all out ill write up a player guide with pics.

Bug report: ive notice sometimes when i target a craft in map mode, focus will shift to kerbin automatically without me doing that. When i tab through all the bodies to get focus back to the craft, it will cycle through to eeloo and stop. Tabbing at this point does nothing and getting focus back to your craft gets a little tricky. I run a few mods so im not ready to pin this on RT yet but keen to hear if this happens to others.

How much power are you guys putting on your Sats? These dishes seem power hungry to me.

Most of my CommSat-3K satellites are running the 1000 unit batteries and 2 large solar panels with a pair of radioscope generators as backup power.

I have 5 antennas on each ComSat-3K, but only 2 or 3 of them are online at any given time the others are used in cases where I need the deep space communications coverage for a interplanetary probe or something like that.

Bug report: ive notice sometimes when i target a craft in map mode, focus will shift to kerbin automatically without me doing that. When i tab through all the bodies to get focus back to the craft, it will cycle through to eeloo and stop. Tabbing at this point does nothing and getting focus back to your craft gets a little tricky. I run a few mods so im not ready to pin this on RT yet but keen to hear if this happens to others.

Might I point you to this response by JDP...

Do Cilph a favor and post issues in the bugtracker:)
Edited by Sma

The no connection problem with pods is annoying in career mode. You can't start transmitting anything back unless you have the first custom omni antenna or you manually deploy the stock antenna. Which in the latest version breaks off in flight if your two low in the atmosphere. Still please implement something so that when connected to a manned pod they act like the stock version only needing a valid connection to function. At the moment it severely hampers science gains with manned pods.

The no connection problem with pods is annoying in career mode. You can't start transmitting anything back unless you have the first custom omni antenna or you manually deploy the stock antenna. Which in the latest version breaks off in flight if your two low in the atmosphere. Still please implement something so that when connected to a manned pod they act like the stock version only needing a valid connection to function. At the moment it severely hampers science gains with manned pods.

If it really bothers you, switch the tech requirements between the stock antenna and the 500km antenna (reflectron dp-10 IIRC). That one can be used in the atmosphere and since it has shorter range it doesn't break the flow too badly.

Alternatively you can go into the RemoteTech_Squad_Antennas.cfg file and remove the line "MaxQ=6000" for the longAntenna. If you remove that line it should stop breaking in the atmosphere (Note that I didn't actually test this, so backup your save before trying).

You get it in Flight Control. That's before you even get your first probe core. How is manually deploying the antenna such a pain? It's one click.

You get it in Flight Control. That's before you even get your first probe core. How is manually deploying the antenna such a pain? It's one click.

I think he was mostly annoyed by the antenna breaking while flying due to dynamic pressure, not that he had to deploy it. It makes it impossible to send science reports while flying in the atmosphere and you can't send them while landed either due to Line of Sight issues. So until you either manage orbital flights or get Flight Control you are entirely dependent on craft recovery to gather science.

Since you get the dipole antenna rather early it isn't that big of an issue imo, especially when you go for an orbital flight right away. But I can imagine it is annoying to people who start out with parabolic flights.

I think he was mostly annoyed by the antenna breaking while flying due to dynamic pressure, not that he had to deploy it. It makes it impossible to send science reports while flying in the atmosphere and you can't send them while landed either due to Line of Sight issues. So until you either manage orbital flights or get Flight Control you are entirely dependent on craft recovery to gather science.

Since you get the dipole antenna rather early it isn't that big of an issue imo, especially when you go for an orbital flight right away. But I can imagine it is annoying to people who start out with parabolic flights.

Doesn't seem so bad to me. I never use antennas in early game when I don't even have batteries. Why not recover? Abusing transmissions is going away in 0.23 anyway.

As in, how to playwith it? The first post has some info and as great as it is, its still a little confusing. Im not hating or discrediting. It is a complex mod and not intuitive straight away. Im still learning it and confusion stems from mod ignorance and small bugs and not knowing where the fault lies (module manager vs remotetech).

When i feel i know enough and tried it all out ill write up a player guide with pics.

A player guide would be nice.

Im able to manage a com-sat system which covers the whole orbital area around kerbin - but only with change a .cfg to set the length from 5.00 Mm to 7.5 Mm. Kind of cheating. But without that I cannot make it up to a synched orbit. (The other option would be more satellites..but my PC is not the fastest..so I try to keep the number of objects as low as possible)

I have no idea how to use the dishes. It gave me some targets. And when I set a target to any ship it shows me a signal in the map view. (from a manned rocket with 6 kerbals in it)

But thats all. I have no idea how this whole thing works. I also dont know what is the "active vessel" in the target list etc.

So a guide would be very nice :)

Btw..I see the dishes in the VAB. But not the antennas that should be coming with the mod. I checked the names in the configs..but nothing in my VAB. Not the name...not the description..nothing..they are missing..

Edited by Duke-49th