Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

im new to this mod, i really like the idea of it and the signal delay. so i was using it with the community fix built a really good comm sat relay network. my issue was when sending a probe to duna i programmed the course corrections in the flight computer so that when out of signal range it could make all necessary corrections on its own. the course correction was like 30 days away so i went and time accelerated. now what happens is the time acceleration was happening but the flight computers countdown wasnt accelerating with me. ive noticed this a bunch of times and it became damn near impossible to use rt2 and i ended up removing it. sadly i miss it and was wondering if anyone else had this issue or its a known bug thats being addressed, im starting to get antsy for the .24 update so that remotetech 2 will be updated and fixed...

Hi, I installed this mod with the community fix and it sort of works. I'm new to this mod so I don't know exactly what it looks like, but I think I'm missing the sphere of influence for the antennas. Also directional antennas seem to be omni directional for some reason.

EX: lifting off an unmanned vessel with a satellite pointing up shouldn't work right?

Otherwise it seems to be working like it should.

Would it be possible for someone to list the current issues? or is each install not having consistent problems?

EDIT: I just tested without any other mods and I'm not having the directional antenna issue anymore. I had a lot of mods installed so I'll try to see which one was the offender. I still don't know how far their range is in the map screen or what direction they are facing. :/

I do like the idea of this mod a lot and appreciate the effort put into it.

EDIT AGAIN: Sorry about the double edit. I just tested again and noticed that the problem seems to be that if I target the space center with a dish that is facing away from the space center I still get signal even after 3000 meters.

Edited by Jonnothin

Ok, I'm no stranger to RT. I've used it for a long time. I like it. I think I know how things work. I've kept up on every single post on this forum so I know the usual questions you guys ask. I've got a strange situation that does not make sense to me. I'm willing to entertain the possibility that RT might be acting correctly, but I'm damned if I can figure this out. Unless someone can explain this situation to me adequately, I'm probably going to go with my conclusion that there is a bug here somewhere.

The situation. I have a manned base at duna with the biggest, longest-range dish antenna (the fold out one, I don't have the name in front of me). I also have a satellite in orbit with the "rtgigadish2" dish (350Gm range). Around Kerbin I have a relay satellite in high orbit with the same, "biggest, longest-range, fold out dish antenna" as on the base.

Kerbin satellite is active, pointed at "Duna". Duna satellite is active, pointed at "Kerbin Satellite". Duna base is active and pointed at "Kerbin". On the map view I can see the "cone" from the "Kerbin satellite" that covers Duna widely enough that the Duna satellite is always within the cone.

And yes, everything has plenty of batteries and solar panels. they are not loosing charge.

From this setup I would conclude:

1. Duna base will always have a link to Kerbin for the half of the day that Duna faces Kerbin. -> But actually, it has only intermittent contact. No discernable pattern. I don't understand why.

2. Duna satellite will always have a link when Kerbin is visible (ie. it has LOS). -> Actually, it also only has intermittent contact and never at the same times. I don't understand why.

And the reason for this cannot be that the Kerbin satellite is on the night-time side of Kerbin and losing power. It's orbit is the same altitude as Mun. It would only have an eclipse once a month. (Yes, there are about a dozen other relay satellites at lower orbits. I haven't had a dropped connection in the Kerbin SOI in months. Probably not since early in career mode.)

So, can anyone explain this behavior?

screenshot37.png

Slowly taking my network interplanetary, with a manned flotilla on the way to Duna to set up more comm equipment.

If not for the deep space relays on the way to L4/L5 I'd be out of contact with Eve at this point.

The situation. I have a manned base at duna with the biggest, longest-range dish antenna (the fold out one, I don't have the name in front of me). I also have a satellite in orbit with the "rtgigadish2" dish (350Gm range). Around Kerbin I have a relay satellite in high orbit with the same, "biggest, longest-range, fold out dish antenna" as on the base.

Kerbin satellite is active, pointed at "Duna". Duna satellite is active, pointed at "Kerbin Satellite". Duna base is active and pointed at "Kerbin". On the map view I can see the "cone" from the "Kerbin satellite" that covers Duna widely enough that the Duna satellite is always within the cone.

If your Kerbin satellite and Duna base are targeting each others' planets with the 400 Gm dish, then even at the maximum separation between Kerbin and Duna (35 Gm) the cone will have a radius of only 1500 km (dropping to 265 km at closest approach). If your Kerbin satellite is in a 12,000 km orbit, it will be outside the Duna base's cone most of the time.

For the Duna satellite, I've got nothing. That one should work if, as you say, the Duna satellite is low enough to always be in the Kerbin satellite's cone. Just to double-check, what kind of orbit is that satellite in?

Why this happens to me : http://i.imgur.com/NJTYD22.png

I´m using realism overhaul, i checked that i haven´t got more than 1 module manager DLLs, it´s a manned spacecraft but i added to it several anntenas...

Don't know what causes it (not RSS, because I don't have it), but you can work around it by exiting and reloading your save. That bug never strikes twice in a row.

If your Kerbin satellite and Duna base are targeting each others' planets with the 400 Gm dish, then even at the maximum separation between Kerbin and Duna (35 Gm) the cone will have a radius of only 1500 km (dropping to 265 km at closest approach). If your Kerbin satellite is in a 12,000 km orbit, it will be outside the Duna base's cone most of the time.

For the Duna satellite, I've got nothing. That one should work if, as you say, the Duna satellite is low enough to always be in the Kerbin satellite's cone. Just to double-check, what kind of orbit is that satellite in?

Duna satellite's orbit is 100km IIRC.

I just tested again and noticed that the problem seems to be that if I target the space center with a dish that is facing away from the space center I still get signal even after 3000 meters.

@Jonnothin - I think this is "as designed". Here's the thinking:

1. When a craft is "on rails", it maintains its last specified oreintation with no rotation. So, if you set a simple Kerbin satellite with a dish and aimed the dish at Jool .. then switched ships .. your dish would only remain aimed at Jool for a very short while, before it was no longer correctly aimed.

2. If we compromised on that, and said that it would always count as "aimed at Jool" while it was on rails, but had to be correctly aimed when you were in the craft, then you'd get the following experience: the corresponding Joolian satellite that you left in orbit has a valid connection .. until the moment you make it the active vessel. Now it doesn't have a connection, and you can't control it to re-establish the connection.

3. Therefore, controlled craft, also, are exempted from the "my physical model must actually be pointing directly at the target" restriction, which is explained in the OP:

Physically pointing them is not required, you just have to set the target vehicle on the dish. It is possible to form a dish connection with an omnidirectional antenna.

I was performing tests on the launch pad without actually launching, and I discovered I couldn't control craft that only had a probe core attached, despite probe cores supposedly having an internal 3km omni antenna. Even with a Reflectron DP-10 on a craft beside it with a valid connection, the craft with only the probe core had no connection.

I checked my save file, and discovered that all probe cores in my game have:

RTOmniRange = 0

within the RTAntennaPassive Module section of the craft file. Is this something I can fix without editing the save file each time I create a craft?

I was performing tests on the launch pad without actually launching, and I discovered I couldn't control craft that only had a probe core attached, despite probe cores supposedly having an internal 3km omni antenna. Even with a Reflectron DP-10 on a craft beside it with a valid connection, the craft with only the probe core had no connection.

within the RTAntennaPassive Module section of the craft file. Is this something I can fix without editing the save file each time I create a craft?

Are you running RSS mod ?

If this is a career game, the "built in" passive antenna isn't unlocked on probes until you research "Unmanned tech". Though I would've thought they'd be missing the RTAntennaPassive module completely in that case (as opposed to having the range set to zero). I checked two of my saves; one with that tech unlocked and my new 0.23.5 one without it. In the save without the tech, the RTOmniRange of my probeCores are zero.

@Amaroq - Oh I see it now. My bad.

Also I believe sciguyCO is correct. I did some tests in sandbox which has the range on the probe cores and when I started a career mode game it was gone. So it would seem tech unlocks the range.

Are you running RSS mod?

No. If you are troubleshooting along the route of the KSC omni antenna being too far from the launch pad for the internal probe core antennas to reach it, I tested with a craft with a working omni antenna directly beside the unresponsive craft, and the probe core craft did not link with the working omni antenna beside it. After checking the save file, I saw that the module for the internal antenna had the range set to zero.

If this is a career game, the "built in" passive antenna isn't unlocked on probes until you research "Unmanned tech". Though I would've thought they'd be missing the RTAntennaPassive module completely in that case (as opposed to having the range set to zero). I checked two of my saves; one with that tech unlocked and my new 0.23.5 one without it. In the save without the tech, the RTOmniRange of my probeCores are zero.

Thanks, I wasn't aware the feature was designed to be unlocked by research, and after checking the first post, I see the note I missed.

Alright I have been reading several pages now, with many different "hotfixes" and what not. So I'll be yet another one of the people asking. What hotfix do I need to add to get this working consistently with 23.5?

Alright I have been reading several pages now, with many different "hotfixes" and what not. So I'll be yet another one of the people asking. What hotfix do I need to add to get this working consistently with 23.5?

I've been using the fix posted on the first page. The tracking station doesn't show connections, but that's tolerable for me. Jinks posted a fix that should address that issue a few pages back: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56399?p=1081193post1081193.