Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

This may be a stupid question, but how do you install? Where do I put the files? I can usually install mods fine, but this one just wont work. Also, are any big mods incompatible?

If you have a correct download file with RT2, you have a zipfile that just includes the folder structure as required starting by Gamedata; as you stated to be able to install mods, you certainly know what is required is just to copy that Gamedata folder within your KSP install (so it updates the existing /KSP/Gamedata structure, effectively placing the RemoteTech2 files where they need be).

But, as you say this doesn't work, means you have a uncorrect download. RT2 ver 1.3.3 can be downloaded from the new repository created by Starstrider42; I also want to suggest to then install the patch from this post.

I've never heard of that one. Please post on the issue tracker, with a description of when it does/doesn't happen, persistence file, modlist, KSP_Data/output_log.txt, etc. Anything that will let us reproduce the problem.

Ok I will do so.

Some questions, since I'm trying to follow Scott Manley's Interstellar Quest. I've installed the version from the new repository in my seperate 023.5 modded install, but as soon as I want to launch an unmanned probe I can't activate the throttle of my craft on the launchpad and when I try to activate antenna's there's a cryptic message telling me there's no signal, or something like that???

Is there a wiki or any text to explain how this is supposed to work because I'm quite lost were to switch this remote control on or off for starters. ;-)

Greets,

Jan

If you have a correct download file with RT2, you have a zipfile that just includes the folder structure as required starting by Gamedata; as you stated to be able to install mods, you certainly know what is required is just to copy that Gamedata folder within your KSP install (so it updates the existing /KSP/Gamedata structure, effectively placing the RemoteTech2 files where they need be).

But, as you say this doesn't work, means you have a uncorrect download. RT2 ver 1.3.3 can be downloaded from the new repository created by Starstrider42; I also want to suggest to then install the patch from this post.

I guess my download was messed up. Thanks!

Some questions, since I'm trying to follow Scott Manley's Interstellar Quest. I've installed the version from the new repository in my seperate 023.5 modded install, but as soon as I want to launch an unmanned probe I can't activate the throttle of my craft on the launchpad and when I try to activate antenna's there's a cryptic message telling me there's no signal, or something like that???

Is there a wiki or any text to explain how this is supposed to work because I'm quite lost were to switch this remote control on or off for starters. ;-)

The next version will have a manual, including a "getting started" tutorial. But it's not quite ready for release yet. :wink:

There are three ways to get a signal while on the launchpad:

• Use the Reflectron DP-10, which, as Alewx said, is active by default.
  • Use any other antenna, but activate it by right-clicking on it in the VAB (but with an important catch, see below)
  • Use a launch clamp, which in addition to the stock benefits acts as a land line.

The catch to the second point is that about half the dishes, and all omnidirectional antennas except the DP-10, will break off in the atmosphere (Alewx is not quite correct here; this will happen whether or not you have FAR installed). If an antenna has "breaks under high dynamic pressure" in the extended VAB description (the one you get by right-clicking on the regular description), then you should only use it while landed or while above about 35 km.

Since dishes require a bit more micromanagement to use, I suggest you stick to the Reflectron DP-10 for your first mission. If you're launching into low Kerbin orbit, and aren't building a satellite network yet, then that one antenna will suffice for all your needs.

Good luck, and don't get too discouraged by the learning curve. :)

Minor correction, I did not create the new repository, Cilph did, and a pretty big team of people is running it. I'm sure you didn't mean to imply otherwise, but credit where it's due. :)

The next version will have a manual, including a "getting started" tutorial. But it's not quite ready for release yet. :wink:

There are three ways to get a signal while on the launchpad:

• Use the Reflectron DP-10, which, as Alewx said, is active by default.
  • Use any other antenna, but activate it by right-clicking on it in the VAB (but with an important catch, see below)
  • Use a launch clamp, which in addition to the stock benefits acts as a land line.

The catch to the second point is that about half the dishes, and all omnidirectional antennas except the DP-10, will break off in the atmosphere (Alewx is not quite correct here; this will happen whether or not you have FAR installed). If an antenna has "breaks under high dynamic pressure" in the extended VAB description (the one you get by right-clicking on the regular description), then you should only use it while landed or while above about 35 km.

Since dishes require a bit more micromanagement to use, I suggest you stick to the Reflectron DP-10 for your first mission. If you're launching into low Kerbin orbit, and aren't building a satellite network yet, then that one antenna will suffice for all your needs.

Good luck, and don't get too discouraged by the learning curve. :)

Damn, :D , I just watched the ranges of the antennas and dishes and completly overlooked the "can get broken during launch" note.

Try the omnidirectional antenna with 500km range, that is active by default, and does not get broken by FAR, like the commutron 16.

As often when posting questions like this I had the equivalent of a little light-bulb glowing up on top of my head and tried the antenna that came with the package instead of the smallest default one. lol

Thanks for the info nevertheless. Now if I could find some documentation on the buttons in the Planet view screen..., but maybe that's asking too much. ;-)

Added: Ah, some posts crossed while typing, so thanks for that additional info on breaking antenna types. A beginners guide will be useful, I look forward to that, on the other hand I don't get discouraged too quickly so no worries. :-))

Greets,

Jan

Edited by Jananton
addition

Minor correction, I did not create the new repository, Cilph did, and a pretty big team of people is running it. I'm sure you didn't mean to imply otherwise, but credit where it's due. :)

OK, sorry. I can see your name as releaser on that github page, that's why I wrote so.

But indeed the release date tells differently.

Perhaps it's a glitch with github when rights are transferred.

As often when posting questions like this I had the equivalent of a little light-bulb glowing up on top of my head and tried the antenna that came with the package instead of the smallest default one. lol

Thanks for the info nevertheless. Now if I could find some documentation on the buttons in the Planet view screen..., but maybe that's asking too much. ;-)

From left to right:

• Toggles display of the path your current ship's signal takes to mission control. No effect if you're out of contact, of course.
  • Toggles display of fields of view of dish antennas (on any ship, not just the current one) that are pointed at planets or moons.
  • Cycles through display of any omni-omni connections between satellites, any connections involving at least one dish, and all connections.
  • Displays a list of all dishes on your current ship.

The first of these displays is really the only one that's interesting while you're just starting out, the rest are more useful once you have multiple satellites in orbit.

Edited by Starstrider42

If a user has FAR installed would it be possible to get shielded/unshielded support for antennas? Not sure if Ferram is exposing that value anywhere.

RT2 for some reason is not working with my RSS RO install. I am not sure why, but I have purple/pink squares where there should be RT2 icons. Possibly the MM isn't reading it right?

Can Anyone Tell me Why this is Happening I have Remotetech 2

a>

Can you check if GameData\RemoteTech2\Plugins\RemoteTech2.dll exists? If not, can you try re-downloading from https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/releases/tag/v1.3.3?

RT2 for some reason is not working with my RSS RO install. I am not sure why, but I have purple/pink squares where there should be RT2 icons. Possibly the MM isn't reading it right?

Sorry, don't have an answer for that one. There seem to be a lot of RSS compatibility problems, though.

Edited by Starstrider42

I just wanted say a big thank you to you guys for taking up RT2.

It is literally a mod I can't play without anymore and I would have pained me to desinstall it.

So, love you guys (obviously that includes you Cilph :kiss:).

I tried to find some information on this thread but I didn't managed to.

So here a few questions.

1. (With the community fix installed) Are there any (more/new) problems on 23.5?

2. Any new patches available?

As for the pink squares, I had that too at first, you need to install the version 1.3.3 from the new repository first and then overwrite the dll with the one from the download here. If you only install that last update you only get the dll and the resulting pink squares... ;-)

Greets,

Jan

Ok guys i know RT2 is not supported with 23.5 but i have heard of many people using it with no problem but iv encountered a problem. iv got 2 relay sats around the mun at about 1000k orbit. but for some reason its not relaying the signal through omni directional from directional dishes. so the signal is not getting through.

Ok guys i know RT2 is not supported with 23.5 but i have heard of many people using it with no problem but iv encountered a problem. iv got 2 relay sats around the mun at about 1000k orbit. but for some reason its not relaying the signal through omni directional from directional dishes. so the signal is not getting through.

Did you watch for the correct ranges of the antennas and dishes? Maybe you show screenshot of the sattelite?