Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

You can get close, but even if you get them exact, KSP has issues when it comes to warping. KSP's math isn't perfect during high warps. The little simplifications add up. Geo-stationary may look pretty, but just isn't worth the effort. Anything that requires maintenance defeats the purpose. And if you are playing under career mode, the low-power engines necessary to perfect an orbit aren't available when you need them. The molniya orbit's I described are very simple, do not require exact positioning, and survive decades of warping without degradation.

Whether one describes an orbit in terms of dimensions (altitudes) or periods is wholly a matter of preference. I prefer dimensions because apoapsis+periapsis provides an exact description, whereas two very different orbits can share identical periods (ie a molniya orbit with a 6h period is not properly geo-stationary).

I'm thinking I'm going to be looking at doing your moniya type setup. How many relays per orbit though?

Ok... version 1.2.1 does not appear to play nicely at all. The flight control computer jerks the throttle all over haitch and back, and there does not seem to be a way to disable it. (The 'kill' button doesn't seem to kill anything.)

This happens for me too, it usually stops after some X presses. I use FloorIt, so it works the opposite as well for max throttle by pressing Z. No idea what's causing it, seems to randomly happen.

Anyone find this helpful?

Yes, definitely. I have a follow up question though.

y817IbK.png

I have shifted four of my relays into Molniya-type orbits. They now have a very low periapsis (80km+/-) and high apoapsis (3000km +/-). Their orbital speeds vary from around 560m/s at apoapsis to 3000m/s at periapsis. This means most of their time is spent loitering high over Kerbin, where they are best able to act as relays to the KSC. I have also left a couple sats in their initial 700km orbits to act as links between the Molniyas. Because orbits are stable in KSP, there is no clumping. Each relay remains clearly separated in its respective orbit. This basic formation should give you 99.9999% uptime for probes out to 5000km, the max range of the communitron 32.

What does this setup look like after a few years of warping? Is it somehow immune to the orbit drift, or is the slow apo-speed and wildly different orbits causing the drift to take a longer time to become apparent?

Based on quick math, my current hastily built (temporary) network is in a few weeks-months going to have drifted to a point where it's not really usable anymore, so I'm in the market for a new network pattern :P

Edited by Sacred Aardvark
the word "definitely" definitely isn't written definately

Hey cliph

Great work, remote tech is an essencial mod for KSP.

But the RemoteTech2_Release_1.2.0 seems to cancel Bobcats ECLSS support system from the American pack 1,0.

I have testede this with a clean install:

KSP + American pack = ECLSS support

KSP + American pack +Romte tech 1,2 = no ECLSS support (vessels ECLSS IVA control panel says 0 to all resources)

Deleted remote tech 1,2 againe and ECLSS support is back

Ok... version 1.2.1 does not appear to play nicely at all. The flight control computer jerks the throttle all over haitch and back, and there does not seem to be a way to disable it. (The 'kill' button doesn't seem to kill anything.)

kill button kills rotating. and i dont see any problems with flight computer, even more - its much better than in remote tech 1 version, which i used until yesterday...

about sats...

launch 100500 of them on all orbits, and land few on Mun on visible and invisible side too. much more effective and faster :)

ecoli360

my ECLSS and remote2 work together without any problems

Edited by rocketsBuilder

I'm thinking I'm going to be looking at doing your moniya type setup. How many relays per orbit though?

I'm planning on 6 total, 3 around the equator, 3 in polar. All 6 at 2868750. I'm using kOS though, and working on fine tuning a program to do it all automatically. Hopefully with luck intense planning, one of the equatorial ones will be directly above KSC, or at least close enough. I'm planning on having maybe 3 of the fold out dishes, 2 will point to the other relays, one will be set to active vessel, and then maybe the large fold out dish for interplanetary and maybe the duna dish (I should really learn their names lol) but we'll see. Also discovered in testing my kOS script that on occasion they run out of power so I may change my design to include an RTG or 2.

Edited by Sma

I'm a bit of a noob at RT2, so if I set up sats around kerbin in a geosynchronous orbit and i want them to communicate with other probes on kerbin, do the sats need 2 dishes so they can point at each other and communicate with other probes? thanks

I'm a bit of a noob at RT2, so if I set up sats around kerbin in a geosynchronous orbit and i want them to communicate with other probes on kerbin, do the sats need 2 dishes so they can point at each other and communicate with other probes? thanks

Yes, in fact, put as many dishes on as you can. One dish can communicate with one probe.

Yes, in fact, put as many dishes on as you can. One dish can communicate with one probe.

Not true. One dish will communicate with as many dishes as fall into into its cone and range. Well im not sure if the number is infinite but its definetly >1.

I don't understand how to connect to probes beyond Kerbin SOI. I have a 4 KEO sat network which works fine for anything in the Kerbin system, but the moment I leave not even the biggest dish will function. Pointing at Kerbin doesn't work, pointing at a specific sat in the network doesn't work, pointing at mission control directly doesn't work when the KSC comes into line of sight. I was under the impression you stuck on a dish, pointed it at Kerbin and as long as a sat in line of sight in the KEO network will pickup the signal and relay it to KSC, am I wrong?

I was under the impression you stuck on a dish, pointed it at Kerbin and as long as a sat in line of sight in the KEO network will pickup the signal and relay it to KSC, am I wrong?

Your impression is correct something else is the problem.

I don't understand how...

Do you have one of the probes in the KEO network pointed at the probe outside of kerbin SOI and the probe outside of kerbins SOI pointed to the (same) probe inside? (also the probe inside kerbins SOI needs a connection with ksp as well as with the one outside) ... now i look at what i have just written, it looks really confusing :P

Do you have one of the probes in the KEO network pointed at the probe outside of kerbin SOI and the probe outside of kerbins SOI pointed to the (same) probe inside? (also the probe inside kerbins SOI needs a connection with ksp as well as with the one outside) ... now i look at what i have just written, it looks really confusing :P

I see what you're saying, I thought about that but the satellites I have atm was early in the tech tree, the dishes only reach inside the Kerbin system, so I'm the process of launching replacements. But if that is how it works what happens when said satellite in the KEO network goes behind Kerbin, wouldn't that mean you would need all satellites pointed as said probe in deep space to keep 100% coverage? That doesn't sound correct to me.

Not true. One dish will communicate with as many dishes as fall into into its cone and range. Well im not sure if the number is infinite but its definetly >1.

I tried it, but it is not working for me, I have 2 rovers, 1 on the Mun and another on Minimus, also have 2 geo-synced com-sats and I pointed their SS-5 dishes to the Mun and Minimus (and the rovers Communotro 88-88) and as soon as I cut their previous direct connections with the rovers they lost connection.

Can someone fill me in on the ranges of each dish or antenna, I understand the ones that say Km, but others say GM and MM, I have no idea what those measurements are or their relation to the solar system.

Re: Throttle jitter

This happens for me too, it usually stops after some X presses. I use FloorIt, so it works the opposite as well for max throttle by pressing Z. No idea what's causing it, seems to randomly happen.

That works when you're trying to set up for launch... not so much when you're trying to fly a maneuver, manually or with MJ.

I'll remind everyone that bug reports not messaged or put on the github issue tracker will be from now on completely ignored. Keeping track of them is a huge time waste.

The throttle jitter, it might be possible that it happens when your signal delay is increasing and it 'skips' your input for one frame. It should be fairly harmless. I'll see if I can straighten that out and instead just kill throttle when you have no signal instead of no throttle when no input is received.

Edited by Cilph

I tried it, but it is not working for me, I have 2 rovers, 1 on the Mun and another on Minimus, also have 2 geo-synced com-sats and I pointed their SS-5 dishes to the Mun and Minimus (and the rovers Communotro 88-88) and as soon as I cut their previous direct connections with the rovers they lost connection.

Can someone fill me in on the ranges of each dish or antenna, I understand the ones that say Km, but others say GM and MM, I have no idea what those measurements are or their relation to the solar system.

Mega and then Giga. Just add three zeroes from Km to Mm and three more from Mm to Gm.

I'll remind everyone that bug reports not messaged or put on the github issue tracker will be from now on completely ignored. Keeping track of them is a huge time waste.

The throttle jitter, it might be possible that it happens when your signal delay is increasing and it 'skips' your input for one frame. It should be fairly harmless. I'll see if I can straighten that out and instead just kill throttle when you have no signal instead of no throttle when no input is received.

I don't know what github is, nor how to use it, but I'll try to figure it out, but I have throttle stutter right off the launch pad, with no signal delay. Throttle will jump from full, to null, to somewhere in between and back again.