[1.0.x (partial)] Atmospheric Sound Enhancement v2.2 (2015-05-05)

pizzaoverhead

This is an excellent mod! Sorry if it's been asked before, but are there any plans to add reentry sounds? It's eerily quiet when reentering in IVA mode, even with DREC.

During reentry aren't we still travelling at supersonic speeds? I think if u move the camera behind the craft while it is in reentry and you see reentry burn effects (at 30000 m) you should slow down enough to hear the sound coming from the craft. But I'm not sure astronauts hear much in IVA during reentry.. then again Im not sure.

All sound effects, other than the new engines which are currently unsupported, should be muffled or silenced in vacuum. I haven't tested with the Orion mod however.

Your mod should be stock, that's how good it is. I don't use orion because it's such an OP method of travel in KSP, but it is realistic. IN CASE I convince myself to use orion again, seeing as how much I love this mod, I would like to keep its effects when I use that mod to get into space and travel between the planets.

If you could look into expanding it for that mod or maybe find a way to kill orions engine sound during trans-sonic and space flight, that'd be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I noticed that too.. so I uninstalled Hot rockets.

I really want to use the rapier engines but haven't been willing to since this mod doesn't support the newer engines... any tips on how I can extend this treatment to the newer engines?

Edited by TeeGee

I like the idea ... but it made wired noises* ... so I kicked it out

Also I reduced the engine/ship sounds in the game settings which caused wired circumstance that the sonic boom is 100 times louder than a bunch of Mailsails at full power...

(maybe some sounds should be reduce according to game settings? .. also volume control for the mod in game?)

edit:

I see Hotrockets is not compatible ... well I wont uninstall Cold- and Hotrockets ...

During reentry aren't we still travelling at supersonic speeds? I think if u move the camera behind the craft while it is in reentry and you see reentry burn effects (at 30000 m) you should slow down enough to hear the sound coming from the craft. But I'm not sure astronauts hear much in IVA during reentry.. then again Im not sure.

The noise should be hearable, since most of the noise is made in front of the ship ... as shock waves... causes the heating btw. which would be transmitted trough the ship structures...

Do explosion sfx still occur with this mod? I remember that when I used Orion (nuclear pulse rocket) I could still hear the explosions even when I was in vacuum. Has this been corrected or is it still present?

But isn't that normal? The explosion causes a shockwave ... which hits the ship (otherwise there would be no propulsion from it) even with the dampers present it would transmit through the ship and you would be able to hear it (not as much as a live explosion in that distance, though ... means you can keep your eardrums)

---------------------------------------------

*= e.g. in space with no engine running .. like a clickering noise .. its a little hard to describe ... and I suspect a rare interaction between my system and the mod... I basically have this kind of noise if an audio app doesn't get enough CPU power...so it happens rarely on other apps as well

Edited by Bizz Keryear

I like the idea ... but it made wired noises* ... so I kicked it out

Also I reduced the engine/ship sounds in the game settings which caused wired circumstance that the sonic boom is 100 times louder than a bunch of Mailsails at full power...

(maybe some sounds should be reduce according to game settings? .. also volume control for the mod in game?)

edit:

I see Hotrockets is not compatible ... well I wont uninstall Cold- and Hotrockets ...

The noise should be hearable, since most of the noise is made in front of the ship ... as shock waves... causes the heating btw. which would be transmitted trough the ship structures...

But isn't that normal? The explosion causes a shockwave ... which hits the ship (otherwise there would be no propulsion from it) even with the dampers present it would transmit through the ship and you would be able to hear it (not as much as a live explosion in that distance, though ... means you can keep your eardrums)

---------------------------------------------

*= e.g. in space with no engine running .. like a clickering noise .. its a little hard to describe ... and I suspect a rare interaction between my system and the mod... I basically have this kind of noise if an audio app doesn't get enough CPU power...so it happens rarely on other apps as well

You're talking about sounds heard IN the ship. I'm talking about sounds OUTSIDE the ship. When the camera is watching your spacecraft in vacuum, there is no sound to hear.

Is this mod still being developed or is it finished? I just love it sooo much, but it doesn't cover much of the sounds from other mods or the newer NASA engines or the rapier. Of all the mods I use, ASE is ALWAYS on my stock game and I just want to keep it alive as long as possible..

Pizza said he's working on it about a month ago, but I don't see anything new since then. I hope he returns to update this mod, It'd be really tragic if it had to be abandoned as more and more things shift over to ModuleEngineFX

Is this mod still being developed or is it finished? I just love it sooo much, but it doesn't cover much of the sounds from other mods or the newer NASA engines or the rapier. Of all the mods I use, ASE is ALWAYS on my stock game and I just want to keep it alive as long as possible..
Pizza said he's working on it about a month ago, but I don't see anything new since then. I hope he returns to update this mod, It'd be really tragic if it had to be abandoned as more and more things shift over to ModuleEngineFX

It won't be finished until it works with ModuleEngineFX. A few weeks ago, I had a release candidate supporting single-sound ModuleEngineFX engines (pretty much everything but the RAPIER), until errors started cropping up. Since then, between hard drive failures and moving home, I haven't done any work on ASE. At this point it would be wise to wait and see what is changed by 0.24 before trying to build on top of it.

Had to remove because my ears would shatter when breaking the sound barrier, although this would be real to an extent, it was just too loud.

I Like the sounds though just too loud, I didn't see a setting for volume in the .cfg only for interior volume. I also tried messing around with the frequency but that doesn't have much relation to volume anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll give it a try since there isn't any anticipated problems. :) I'm finding the new update is causing a lot of weird things with mod interactions where some work great alone but don't play well with others. I'll let you know if it seems to work without issue, though if there is problems it may not be with this mod at all. :-/ With updates like this mod devs have my deepest sympathies and appreciation for all the hard work. :)

I downloaded "HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement" today for the first time and while I really like that mod, it doesn't seem to work together with Atmospheric Sound Enhancement as it features new rocket sounds. Anyone know if it's possible to run both?

I haven't tried it yet on .24, but I've yet to get this plugin to work correctly. Sounds keep getting stuck and popping in and out. Effects during sound barrier transition get stuck on if I have to revert to launch or hangar.

As of 0.24.2, the engine sound completely stops playing after like half a minute except when another sound is initiated or when you turn the engine off and start it up again. (i.e. I was firing InfiniteDice's 50 cal while doing High-G maneuvers to check on the sound issue).

As of 0.24.2, the engine sound completely stops playing after like half a minute except when another sound is initiated or when you turn the engine off and start it up again. (i.e. I was firing InfiniteDice's 50 cal while doing High-G maneuvers to check on the sound issue).

Reporting with the same problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.