[1.0.x (partial)] Atmospheric Sound Enhancement v2.2 (2015-05-05)

pizzaoverhead

How do I insert files into the reply box? The output_log text is very long...

I wouldn't post the text here directly. You can put the file on dropbox (or any other file sharing service), or you could use a service like pastebin.

The settings.cfg options:

• negativeSlopeWidthDeg - The angle (in degrees) behind the shock cone that the shock wave fades away over.
  • interiorVolumeScale - A multiplier for the volume inside the craft. 1 is 100%, 0.5 is 50%, 2 is 200%, 0 for silence.
  • interiorMaxFreq - How muffled the sounds heard inside the craft are. Sounds above this frequency aren't heard. It can be anywhere between 10 (a deep rumble that can only be heard with high-quality speakers) and 22000 Hz (not muffled at all). 0 disables internal sounds.
  • lowerMachThreshold - The Mach number at which the sonic boom starts to kick in.
  • upperMachThreshold - The Mach number at which the sonic boom finishes fading away.
  • maxDistortion - How distorted and crunchy the sound of the shock wave is. 0 is off (normal) and 1 is on fully (may cause crackling).
  • condensationEffectStrength - How thick the white graphical condensation effect is when passing through the sound barrier. 0 is off, 1 is very thick.
  • maxVacuumFreq - How muffled the sounds are when in a vacuum, similar to interiorMaxFreq. 0 disables all sounds, 22000 gives normal, unmuffled sounds.
  • maxSupersonicFreq - How muffled the sounds are when the camera is ahead of the supersonic shock wave., similar to interiorMaxFreq. 0 disables all sounds, 22000 gives normal, unmuffled sounds.

I'll put this in the readme for future releases.

Nope, the sounds when I go supersonic no longer change at ALL for all spaceplanes. I still hear the engines at normal level throughout the entire flight, with both stock and B9 engine parts.

Having the same problem here, please fix, such a nice mod, and amazing attention to accuracy!

Just out of curiosity, does this mod effect decouplers in any way? I tried this and for some reason the decouplers are firing off in full volume and before I start trouble shooting I just want to know whether this is a feature or a bug.

Having the same problem here, please fix, such a nice mod, and amazing attention to accuracy!

More fault specifics after experimenting: Found that the when spawning at the launch pad/runway initially, it doesn't work. However the mod kicks in having once left the atmosphere.

More fault specifics after experimenting: Found that the when spawning at the launch pad/runway initially, it doesn't work. However the mod kicks in having once left the atmosphere.

Sorry to hear that. Could you upload your KSP_Data/output_log.txt to pastebin and post it here? Do you see condensation when travelling around 330 m/s? Thanks for the experimentation, that's very helpful.

Just out of curiosity, does this mod effect decouplers in any way? I tried this and for some reason the decouplers are firing off in full volume and before I start trouble shooting I just want to know whether this is a feature or a bug.

It should affect decouplers, unless you're experiencing the issue above. Crash explosions aren't affected yet however.

For what it's worth, no problems here. The enhancement kicks in as soon as I hit mach 1, sounds are muffled in front of the shockwave and in space.

Glad to hear it! :)

Nope, the sounds when I go supersonic no longer change at ALL for all spaceplanes. I still hear the engines at normal level throughout the entire flight, with both stock and B9 engine parts.

I got the same problem...

Observations: I think this happens more often (or rather nothing happening@all) if the craft has more than one engine, which most of my craft have...it happens from time to time that I get the muffled sounds after I have well passed supersonic speeds an some altitude between 20km-40km - also using existing crafts that where built before I installed the plugin seems to trigger this behavior too. But it also works some times.

It does not matter if I use a plane or a rocket, however my really fast rockets (=getting fast very fast^^) almost always fail to produce any sonic booms...are they too fast for the computation? I noticed that once in vacuum the muffled sounds work but before that: nothing, just the usual roar...

condensation effects seem to work properly no matter what

Sorry to hear that. Could you upload your KSP_Data/output_log.txt to pastebin and post it here? Do you see condensation when travelling around 330 m/s? Thanks for the experimentation, that's very helpful.

It should affect decouplers, unless you're experiencing the issue above. Crash explosions aren't affected yet however.

Glad to hear it! :)

which part of the output log specifically? won't let me upload beyond 500kb pastebin :/

which part of the output log specifically? won't let me upload beyond 500kb pastebin :/

Start the game, do a flight that the bug occurs on and then exit the game. That should leave you with a short log. You could also zip it and upload it to a file sharing service like mediafire.

Do I have to pay for this? The spaceport page says "buy now"

There's a bug with spaceport that makes it show "Buy Now" instead of "Download". It also hides the picture. I haven't been able to fix it so far. It still works as normal though.

It seems the download on Spaceport was updated. I downloaded it and it says 2.01 but neither her nor in the readme I can find anything about it. Any noticeable changes or just some minor tweaks?

It was a fruitless attempt to get spaceport to stop showing "Buy Now" and hiding the image, as RCS Sounds was fixed by an update. Spaceport automatically adds a digit to the end when you upload a file of the same name. I took the opportunity to add the configuration options to the readme however.

zip it first, then upload to pastebin

I can't upload zips to pastebin, or at least I don't know how. I did try, sorry.

The condensation is always visible even when the sound effects aren't working. Personally I think condensation is to visible, almost luminescent at times, maybe make it more translucent?

I'd been having trouble with conflicting module manager files, when fixed by removing unnecessary MM files from game tree the mod behaved slightly better but the issues I highlighted were still largely present.

Maybe try producing a module manager file specifically for this ? I don't know allot about these though :/

It could also be conflicting with other mods I have installed:

RCS sounds (contains own Module manager.dll)

Mechjeb 2.1

ISA MapSat 4r1

S.C.A.N sat

F.A.R (contains Module manager.dll + MMSerbianExt.dll)

New rocket sounds (but unlikely as just replaced sound files)

Deadly Reentry

P.s. A slighly visible 3d shockwave cone when supersonic would/could be awesome!

Good luck with the mod! Really wan't this to develop so let me know if there's anything I can do to help iron out these issues :)

I can't upload zips to pastebin, or at least I don't know how. I did try, sorry.

The condensation is always visible even when the sound effects aren't working. Personally I think condensation is to visible, almost luminescent at times, maybe make it more translucent?

I'd been having trouble with conflicting module manager files, when fixed by removing unnecessary MM files from game tree the mod behaved slightly better but the issues I highlighted were still largely present.

Maybe try producing a module manager file specifically for this ? I don't know allot about these though :/

It could also be conflicting with other mods I have installed:

RCS sounds (contains own Module manager.dll)

Mechjeb 2.1

ISA MapSat 4r1

S.C.A.N sat

F.A.R (contains Module manager.dll + MMSerbianExt.dll)

New rocket sounds (but unlikely as just replaced sound files)

Deadly Reentry

P.s. A slighly visible 3d shockwave cone when supersonic would/could be awesome!

Good luck with the mod! Really wan't this to develop so let me know if there's anything I can do to help iron out these issues :)

Module Manager shouldn't affect it as it doesn't use CFGs in that way, but it's something else to check out. A shockwave cone is something I'd like to do in the future too! You can tweak the condensation appearance by changing the condensationEffectStrength value in settings.cfg. In real life, it is very white:

space_shuttle_sonic_boom.jpg

Question: when I use the muffled options sounds in space gets muffled but when going supersonic they are silent.

How I configure it to make muffled sounds outside the sonic shockwave?

In settings.cfg, change maxSupersonicFreq to a larger number. 300 should work for most computers, but if you're listening to the sound through laptop speakers, it may have to be higher. Try setting it to the same as maxVacuumFreq.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.