[1.0.x (partial)] Atmospheric Sound Enhancement v2.2 (2015-05-05)

pizzaoverhead

Awesome. Here's an advice, to make sound gradually disappear while crossing the Mach cone, instead of a suddenly cut-off.

I thought that was intentional. When you cross from ahead of the mach cone to behind it, you hear a bang which I took to be the sonic boom of the spacecraft. The effect is really satisfying... when it works.

I thought that was intentional. When you cross from ahead of the mach cone to behind it, you hear a bang which I took to be the sonic boom of the spacecraft. The effect is really satisfying... when it works.

Nope. I mean when you rotate the camera at supersonic speed.

Having the problem with the game slowing way down then going supersonic as was reported and fixed back in 1.1. The slowdown starts as the supersonic transition starts and as soon as it finishes the speed jumps back up.

Do you see any error messages in debug console (Alt + F2)? Try changing maxDistortion to 0 in settings.cfg and see if it still occurs.

Awesome. Here's an advice, to make sound gradually disappear while crossing the Mach cone, instead of a suddenly cut-off.

[...]

Uhh... It seems that the gradient of volume changes hasn't been included. This should be fix...

[...]

Nope. I mean when you rotate the camera at supersonic speed.

This is intentional. Moving the camera from an area where no sound has yet reached to an area where many sound waves are occuring simultaneously is the sudden change change in volume that makes the sonic boom.

Dopplereffectsourcemovingrightatmach1.4.gif

Have the maxDuration set to 0 already when trying to sort it out and reading the effects of the settings on the OP. I'll check the debug report today and see if anything shows up. Maybe getting a conflict with a different mod, will get more info and post it up.

This is a fantastic mod! I've noticed that sometimes for initial stages, the sound cone doesn't actually form. I am not sure how to predict when it will and when it won't work, because it seems fairly random. When it does run into a problem, it usually fixes itself by the next stage. Also sometimes when going into and coming out of time acceleration, the RCS noises will come back. Are either of these bugs known? If not I'd be glad to try to look more deeply into the problem to see if I can reproduce it regularly.

I'm glad you like the mod! If you're able to track down a method of reproducing these issues, that would be a great help.

I've also noticed that sometimes the sound-code/muffling doesn't happen. Occasionally it will kick into action after I've gone to map view and back, but it's not consistent.

Thanks for the bug report, I'll check it out.

Does this work with Deadly Reentry? Awesome Mod By the way. I love it!

Yes, this mod was designed to be compatible with Deadly Reentry. Glad you're enjoying it!

Have the maxDuration set to 0 already when trying to sort it out and reading the effects of the settings on the OP. I'll check the debug report today and see if anything shows up. Maybe getting a conflict with a different mod, will get more info and post it up.

Thanks. What other mods do you have installed?

In total using Toolbar, Action Group Manager, Beastly Science, BioMass, Crew Manifest, Deadly Reentry, Firespitter, Ion Hybred Electric pack, Kerbal Attachment System, Kethane, Procedural Fairings, L-Tech, Infernal Robotics, MechJeb, BROMOMAN, Nova Punch, Orbital Construction Redux, Osprey Propultion (afterburner jets), Procedural Wings, Real Chute, Romote Tech, PWB Engine Fairings, SCANSat, Surfect Lights, Targetron, Tarsier Space Tech, TAC Life Support, Tweakable Everything, Wolf Pack Aeronautics, and of course Atmospheric Sound Enhancement.

The slowdown seems to correspond to Tweakable Everything or Deadly Reentry from what limited narrowing down I have been able to do so far.

Debug entries during the time of transition / slowdown. The slowdown began right at the first entry and speed returned to normal right at the last entry. I made no camera movements or any other changes during transition:

ASE - Switching to falling edge

ASE - Switching to rising edge

ASE - Switching to falling edge

ASE - Switching to rising edge

ASE - Switching to before shock

Also, when moving the camera and observing the debug, every time ASE - Switching to falling edge came up it would slow down greatly

Edited by JeffreyCor
Debug entries

Try with a low part count jet, at least 2.4km away from other nearby vessels.

Your mileage may vary depending on part count, system performance, and mods installed.

* Each part can have multiple audio sources and mods can add more. This mod adds filters to every source. That's why part count and mods have an effect on performance here.

* The plugin creates up to 3 audio filters for every audio source loaded within the scene and adjusts them every frame. This is a big hit to performance, coupled with the above. This can be fixed with a smart bit of code to silence most parts and manipulate only the most relevant (loudest). I haven't really thought about how to do this because I was hoping some bugs in KSP got fixed before I tackled this again.

* Filters are adjusted inline with the frame updating in no particular order with what other mods may be doing. This kinda needs to change. It would be better run as a coroutine or threaded and updated at a slower interval than framerate, AND set as a very low priority task.

Basically, this mod is really fun when using small jets, but is way too busy for large vessels/crafts, but in time will be fixed. :)

I am having a couple of issues with this. If I activate an engine throttled up on the launchpad and take off the sound inside the cockpit is the same as outside. In order to fix this I have to stop and start the engine again mid flight in order to get the muffled sound in iva view. This also happens when pausing the game using the ESC key and then resuming the game, all sounds default to their original loud/on state until I go into map view and back, which fixes it.

Also, If I activate another stage while above the threshold where the sound starts to fade out but still in the atmosphere the sound is the default sound for that engine, not the muffled/reduced sound the first stage was making. This only happens on activated stages once the sound on the current running stage has already begun to fade out.

Also, a couple engines always have their original sounds in IVA view, and won't muffle using any of the quick fixes mentioned above.

I have the realistic setting config set so no sound in vacuum or in front of supersonic.

Edited by raidernick

I'm glad you like the mod! If you're able to track down a method of reproducing these issues, that would be a great help.

The sound appears to revert to stock behavior if you hit either escape or alt+escape while the engines are running. More testing will be necessary to be sure, but this just happened to me and the only thing I did was alt+esc out of the game.

EDIT: Yes, indeed hitting escape while the engines are on appears to revert the sounds to stock behavior. Something that might be worth testing: Load up a rocket that can easily break the sound barrier, and do so. Then, hit escape and revert to launch and see if that triggers the bug. It appears something about pausing the game while the mod is running causes the mod to not want to work.

Edited by tntristan12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If it's true that FAR breaks it, no one has explained how, why or given reproduction steps, and has simply stated that it breaks. FAR doesn't have anything to do with the way sounds are played or how the effects are rendered, so it shouldn't interfere with what this does. I suspect that means that something else is wrong and it's simply the echo chamber repeating false information again.

If it's true that FAR breaks it, no one has explained how, why or given reproduction steps, and has simply stated that it breaks. FAR doesn't have anything to do with the way sounds are played or how the effects are rendered, so it shouldn't interfere with what this does. I suspect that means that something else is wrong and it's simply the echo chamber repeating false information again.

Indeed, I have been using this with FAR without issue since v1.1 of this plugin.

It seems that if you install hot rockets(which comes with the smokescreen plugin), it will disable the Atmospheric Sound Enhancement mod, is there any way around this?

I want the nice particle effects, but not at the cost of this plugin...

It seems that if you install hot rockets(which comes with the smokescreen plugin), it will disable the Atmospheric Sound Enhancement mod, is there any way around this?

I want the nice particle effects, but not at the cost of this plugin...

HotRockets requires using the new "EFFECTS" cfg parameter as seen in the RAPIER engines. It redefines audio in a way that is incompatible with ASE. I'm working on a way around this, but the RAPIER wasn't designed with this kind of audio modification in mind. No success so far.

HotRockets requires using the new "EFFECTS" cfg parameter as seen in the RAPIER engines. It redefines audio in a way that is incompatible with ASE. I'm working on a way around this, but the RAPIER wasn't designed with this kind of audio modification in mind. No success so far.

Thanks, and good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.