[1.1.3] AntennaRange 1.11.4 - Enforce and Encourage Antenna Diversity

toadicus

I was using AntennaRange as described above, and was getting errors, so I've recompiled it against 1.1.3.  I also recompiled the other two DLLs and repackaged the whole thing, you can get it here:

(updated download link here): https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/AntennaRange/releases/tag/1.11.3-lgg

Please note that this is totally unofficial.  Other than fixing one syntax error and adding a single "if" to avoid an exception at startup, there are no changes to the files.

I can say that I am NOT getting any more errors in the log from this.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I'm having a bug (I think related to Kerbal Construction Time, maybe?), where after in-flight-reverts, antennas display "Infinity [the symbol] EC" for the packet cost. This makes it so nothing can be transmitted, and all attempts instantly report "Done!" with no data returned. Has anyone else had this bug?

• 4 weeks later...

AntennaRange has been updated to version 1.11.4!  Special thanks to @linuxgurugamer for providing a code update for KSP 1.1.3.

This version fixes some issues that caused vessels -- and especially the active vessel -- to be much more attractive than Kerbin in many cases, leading to confusing network resolutions.

CHANGELOG:

* Fixed an issue with adding improper fractions that caused vessels to be considered twice as attractive relative to Kerbin during range finding.
* Fixed an issue with reloading that could cause data speedups to be significantly multiplied, making the active vessel significantly more attractive than all other targets during range finding.
* Code update for 1.11.3 by linuxgurugamer.  Thanks!

I know I'm just in time for 1.2 to make this mod pretty irrelevant; this will probably be my last update here unless @linuxgurugamer, @rasta013, or others have some really cool ideas for what we might do going forward.  It's truly been a pleasure, folks!

Edited by toadicus

43 minutes ago, toadicus said:

I know I'm just in time for 1.2 to make this mod pretty irrelevant; this will probably be my last update here unless @linuxgurugamer or others have some really cool ideas for what we might do going forward.  It's truly been a pleasure, folks!

Thanks for the mod and everything you've done (also VOID and TweakableEverything).  I watched some of the KSPTV preview streams and it looks like they took some inspiration from your mod.  I somehow don't think this will be the end of this mod.  There are some things I saw that I wasn't too crazy about the stock 1.2 comms, so your mod might live on tweaking the built in system.

Thanks again for your mods.

7 hours ago, toadicus said:

I know I'm just in time for 1.2 to make this mod pretty irrelevant; this will probably be my last update here unless @linuxgurugamer, @rasta013, or others have some really cool ideas for what we might do going forward.  It's truly been a pleasure, folks!

Thanks for doing it anyway.  A lot of people reference Remotetech, but to me it seems that AntennaRange inspired much of the stock system.  You've effectively joined the exclusive ranks of mods that have become stock, and that is something to be proud of!

I can think of a couple reasons to keep the mod around, there are definite differenced from the new system, but you have to be the one to decide if it's worth the maintenance effort.

Edited by Starbuckminsterfullerton

5 hours ago, NJC2 said:

so your mod might live on tweaking the built in system

4 hours ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

You've effectively joined the exclusive ranks of mods that have become stock, and that is something to be proud of!

Thanks folks!  I really have enjoyed this: I've learned a lot and I've had fun with a few of the most supportive user groups on these forums.  I'm not sure how much I'm going to play 1.2, but if you see an opportunity for a mod to improve the stock relay system, feel free to let me know.

15 hours ago, NJC2 said:

Thanks for the mod and everything you've done (also VOID and TweakableEverything).  I watched some of the KSPTV preview streams and it looks like they took some inspiration from your mod.  I somehow don't think this will be the end of this mod.  There are some things I saw that I wasn't too crazy about the stock 1.2 comms, so your mod might live on tweaking the built in system.

Thanks again for your mods.

What, in the stock antenna system do you not like?  Just curious, I am NOT going to move this mod forward (says he, who keeps picking up abandoned mods)

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What, in the stock antenna system do you not like?  Just curious, I am NOT going to move this mod forward (says he, who keeps picking up abandoned mods)

Unless they add an option to turn these off, I didn't like is that it limits control of probes when not in contact with the KSC.  The way I see it, I'm the probe core carrying out pre-programmed commands when out of contact.  You also can't add or edit maneuver nodes when a probe is not connected.  Maneuver nodes should be something scientists at the KSC are doing, not the probe core.  That's why I use AntennaRange because it gives me the option to stay in control of my probes.

3 hours ago, NJC2 said:

Unless they add an option to turn these off, I didn't like is that it limits control of probes when not in contact with the KSC.  The way I see it, I'm the probe core carrying out pre-programmed commands when out of contact.  You also can't add or edit maneuver nodes when a probe is not connected.  Maneuver nodes should be something scientists at the KSC are doing, not the probe core.  That's why I use AntennaRange because it gives me the option to stay in control of my probes.

Ummm, but that is exactly what AntennaRange does:

AntennaRange has a small handful of optional features to enhance gameplay: a line of sight requirement, a probe connection requirement, and a "fixed power cost" requirement. As its name implies, the line of sight requirement requires that antennas must have an unobstructed line of effect from their origin to their target, whether that's Kerbin or another relay. Only a planet or a moon can block line of sight at this time. The probe connection requirement will disable control of unmanned craft whenever no connection can be made from the active craft to Kerbin. Finally, the fixed power cost makes the "long range" penalty mirror the "short range" benefit -- slowing down data transmission instead of increasing power cost. This makes it simpler to design probes that will remain controllable while transmitting, at the cost of using up more of your time to do it.

9 hours ago, NJC2 said:

You can already do that in the advanced settings.

1 hour ago, toadicus said:

@linuxgurugamer, AntennaRange has that feature as an option that defaults to "off".  It's there for people to enable if they want, but I agree with @NJC2 (and have explained my rationale a few times before; it's basically the same as his) so it's not something I enforce by default.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that

Thanks

thank you Toadicus, now i've switched to the stock system, but i really enjoyed AR.:)

perfectly in the spirit of what is now stock, i'm sure, AR inspired the squad team to develop their, congratulation!

Edited by Skalou

Toadicus, your mod was the first time I felt inspired to do something even remotely modding-like.

I think the best you can do is redo the stock system. I don't know if this will be done via a cfg or a dll implementation, but there are some quality of life options some of us would like to keep using from AntennaRange. I have not downloaded the pre-release 1.2 version, but this is what I would like to see in 1.2:

1. No "fuzzy-ness". Below the horizon means below the horizon.

2. Limit probe control of any kind without connection to the KSC.

3. More antennas. I still want my +Origami config :)

That being said, at least decoding how the now "stock" system works and giving the tools to mod it, would be amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the exact same values and formulas. It has actually been confirmed that the "complex" ranging uses the formula AR uses - square root of the ranges of the two antennas.

I would be happy if you maintain some sort of "collaboration" with stock, even if it just by "adding" to its options.

Thank you for your work.

@toadicus

I have an idea for what you can do to continue AR:

There is a lot of talk about stacking vs non-stacking antennas, and the different ways to stack.

So, why not do the following:

1. Option to select between different types of stacking
  • Additive stacking
  • Sqrt stacking
  • other (there is a thread where this dicussion is going on now)
  1. Option to allow/disallow different antennas to stack together
  2. Option to check to see the orientation of the antennas, and only allow stacking if they are pointing in the same direction (within 1-2 degrees)

and I'm sure there is other stuff which can be done along these lines

• 3 weeks later...

@toadicusThanks so much for your mod - I've thoroughly enjoyed it and did not consider my KSP install complete without it.

I haven't played KSP for a while (RL concerns, and Elite Dangerous..) but will at least be giving 1.2 a shot for a bit just to try out all the new stuff. Looks like AR is pretty much stock now so not sure whether this mod has much of a future now, but just wanted to let you know that you brought great enjoyment to us in earlier KSP releases!

@toadicus, if you're still looking for a reason for your mod to exist, for me it is the short range EVA antennas.  There is no reason a Kerbal on EVA should lose contact with Mission Control and behave like once they put on their helmet they can't talk to anyone anymore.  Radio home that science, tell the boys what geological features you are seeing, etc.

For the record, I do not intend to continue this mod in any way.  If I get the urge to write a good EVAManager sometime, maybe I'll release that along with a patch to add antennas to EVA Kerbals, but for now I leave that to others.  It's truly been a joy, folks!

• 1 month later...

@toadicus I'll add my voice to those thanking you for this great mod. It made antennas useful and meaningful in the game, without being in any way tedious or feeling like make-work. KSP + AR was still first and foremost a fun game. In the end Squad went with a communications implementation that was a bit more complex, but I have no doubt that AR provided the benchmark and parameters for defining what  a stock communications system implementation should try to do.

I feel that the Snacks mod does the same for consumables and life support. I'm sure a stock life support system would be somewhat more involved than Snacks, but sometimes you need to strip an idea down to it's core essentials before building it back up to hit the sweet spot in terms of challenge and fun. You did exactly this with AR, a mod for which you can be truly proud. I completely agree it's played it's part and it's time to turn out the lights, but it will always have a place in KSP history for those of us that used and loved it.

Simon Hibbs

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.