[1.1.3] AntennaRange 1.11.4 - Enforce and Encourage Antenna Diversity

toadicus

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod, PickledTripod! That's what it's here for. :)

Visualization of the various connections is an oft-requested feature. It's on the list of things I'd like to do, but there's some technical obstacles to overcome (read: I tried it once and my solution made the game crash, so apparently I don't know how to do it right ;) ). I'm slammed at work right now, so development time is at a premium, but it's something I'd like to get to sooner rather than later. :)

• 2 months later...
Hey all; I've got updates for 1.0 just about ready, but am too busy at work to get them up during the day. Will upload this evening (America/Los_Angeles). :)

Yay, another one of my must haves about to update!

Hey all; I've got updates for 1.0 just about ready, but am too busy at work to get them up during the day. Will upload this evening (America/Los_Angeles). :)

Outstanding

This, along with chatterer, is one of the Mods I absolutely cannot play without

AntennaRange has been updated to version 1.8! This version brings almost no material changes, but features Official Support for KSP 1.0. :)

Also, thanks to all of you (and KasperVLD) for your appreciation and support!

CHANGELOG:

v.1.8 [2015-04-27]
* Updated for KSP 1.0!
* Toolbar button will now set its status to "Important" when the active vessel has no connection.
* Miscellaneous behind-the-scenes changes.

Edited by toadicus
Gratitude++

hey couple of questions, possibly a bug report but let's see...

So I'm out at Minmus orbit with one of the folding Dishes (DTS-M1) have enabled LOS mode at the ksc scene. The AR icon in the bar is yellow (I'm assuming that means' I'm stretching the limits but still can connect?)... Anyway when I xmit any sci reports, the little white text shows up in the top left and it displays the % of the transmission, but no sci points are displayed in Green text...

I've also installed Science Alert, so there could be some kind of interaction there I'm not aware of.

Any thoughts?

Could you give us the "what the icons mean" run down?

hey couple of questions, possibly a bug report but let's see...

So I'm out at Minmus orbit with one of the folding Dishes (DTS-M1) have enabled LOS mode at the ksc scene. The AR icon in the bar is yellow (I'm assuming that means' I'm stretching the limits but still can connect?)... Anyway when I xmit any sci reports, the little white text shows up in the top left and it displays the % of the transmission, but no sci points are displayed in Green text...

I've also installed Science Alert, so there could be some kind of interaction there I'm not aware of.

Any thoughts?

Could you give us the "what the icons mean" run down?

Got the same problem (same mods too), deleted Antenna Range - still the same problem.

Edit: Seems to be a problem with Science Alert. Error goes away as soon as that mod is gone.

Edit2: Newest version of Science Alert has fixed the problem

Edited by Tellur

It should still be there, though I haven't tested it in 1.0 yet. I do recall seeing it in the context menu for a Kerbal, though. If you're installing via CKAN, CKAN is not currently configured to install EVAManager for this or TweakableEverything. Hopefully I'll fix that tomorrow.

You know, I got so used to RemoteTech, that I thought this was stock, somehow. I think I'd like to leave the complex sat constellations behind, so I'm going to use this as a slightly less-rigorous alternative, and as what should be stock behavior. :)

No don't use no CKAN and transmit is there but when you try it says no com device to send ?

I'm noticing the same thing in my games with the latest version. When you EVA, it will say that there is no communication device available to transmit from. Not a big deal regardless though, thanks for the great mod!

Hey all,

I used to be an avid Remote Tech fan, but I always found it fiddly. I want to create a communications network, but I don't want it to be a hassle to manage. Then I found this mod, and I love it. Once I turned on "Enable Line of Sight", and "Require Connection to Control Probes", this was pretty much exactly what I wanted.

But I missed having a few more options for my antennas. The stock ones are ... okay at best. I really don't love the look of the DTS-1. Back when I used RemoteTech, I used the ORIGAMI Folding Antenna that I saw featured on one of Bob Fitch's videos. They look amazing, and they are exactly the kind of thing I want to use for my AntennaRange install, but they aren't currently supported.

Until now.

You can find the ORIGAMI Dishes at: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98205-0-25-ORIGAMI-foldable-antenna-dishes-for-RemoteTech

Now, we just need to create a config file to add these dishes to AntennaRange and scale back some of the ranges on the stock antenna. In the AntennaRange folder, create a new file in your favourite text editor (Notepad or something) and call it NAU_for_AntennaRange.cfg. Technically you can name it anything you like, but this should ensure that you remember exactly what it is. Then grab a copy of the file here, and then paste it into your new .cfg file (make sure the extension stays .cfg and : http://pastebin.com/dbHHjxXQ

Save your file, and then everything should be working perfectly! Thanks toadicus for helping me fix up the Module Manager code for this. It was giving me some strange hassles (I could add new antenna, I could modify the TechRequired, but I couldn't update the nominal values for the stock probes for some reason).

Here is the changes I made to the logic:

Communotron 16 - Stays the same. It's good for LKO communication, up to geostationary(ish). Tech unlock stays the same at Engineering 101.

Comms DTS-1 - This has been scaled down to allow for a max range of about 15Mm, which is good enough for the Mun. Tech unlock stays the same at Basic Science.

Communotron 88- This has been scaled down to allow for a max range of about 40Mm, which is good enough for Minmus and the rest of the Kerbin system. Tech unlock has been moved up to Electrics.

ORIGAMI 69 - This folding dish is suitable for reaching the Inner Planets. It has a nominal range of 30Gm and a max range of 84Gm. Tech unlock at Electronics, where the 88-88 used to be. REQUIRES LEVEL 2 SCIENCE FACILITY.

ORIGAMI 350 - This is the biggest folding dish, and can reach the Outer Planets and most of the Kerbol system. Nominal range of 150Gm and a max range of about 425Gm. Tech unlock at Specialized Electrics. REQUIRES SCIENCE FACILITY LEVEL 3.

I hope you enjoy it!

Here's to clear skies,

Kesselya

Edited by Kesselya

ManuxKerb, I have no reason to believe it won't. The outer planets are farther away, so it'll cost more ElectricCharge to transmit, but things should work fine!

Kesselya, here's a version of your patch that should patch my patch and eliminate the need to edit AntennaRange.cfg directly, which is a nuisance during updates: http://hastebin.com/ludubehine

Everybody who's pointed out that EVA Kerbals sometimes couldn't transmit: this was an EVAManager issue because female Kerbals have a different Part name than male Kerbals. I've updated EVAManager and things seem to be working well! I've repackaged the mod as 1.8a with the updated EVAManager; downloads in all the usual places.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.