[1.1.3] AntennaRange 1.11.4 - Enforce and Encourage Antenna Diversity

toadicus

Miravlix, sorry if I misunderstood the tone of your previous post. Let's see how the next version works out; as was said, it should have the side effect of making relays prefer Kerbin much more often. It's still not always going to prefer a 200× longer connection, but it will sometimes.

I really like how the dev build feels. But if you want something specifically different that can't be accomplished by customizing the ranges (it probably can be), I could potentially put in an "always prefer Kerbin when available" toggle. But, that's going to have some effects that I think many people (myself included) won't want; like all of your Jool moon satellites using a really slow connection back to Kerbin instead of the high speed relay network you put in orbit, just because they can. There are a couple of other options we could explore, as well.

BUT, let's give that a couple of weeks. I'll be releasing the new version with the geometric ranges soon; give that a week or two, play with some numbers in your cfgs, and then bring this up again. :)

Glad you like it, MrBonobo! Also glad MeCripp could help you out with those patches. Note that all custom patches are probably going to need to be redesigned a bit when the new version comes out. I may offer a little "hotfix" patch that tries to identify parts patched by obsolete patches and do some simple math to avoid them being broken and maybe try to help out their ranges a bit, but especially short-range patches (like MeCripp's) will want some revisions.

Just a side note; if I ever provide official patches for compatibility with other mods, I'd like it to be in collaboration with those mod makers. In the meantime, I'd like to provide a more useful venue for user-contributed patches to be found, where users can help curate the collection. Maybe I'll set up a wiki at my github repo for such a use, where users can collect links and add comments like "outdated" or "long range" or "short range" or something. We'll see!

A question, since I'm bad with the math, with the latest version, what's the maximum distance the first small antenna and the big dish can communicate? I have a rocket I'm about to launch to Duna, and its got a sat it will leave in orbit to act as a relay with a big dish, and a rover which has the small antenna. I plan to have the big dish in orbit to act as a relay between Kerbin and Duna, but I don't know if that will work, or what orbit would be too high? Thanks for any help.

Glad you like it, MrBonobo! Also glad MeCripp could help you out with those patches. Note that all custom patches are probably going to need to be redesigned a bit when the new version comes out. I may offer a little "hotfix" patch that tries to identify parts patched by obsolete patches and do some simple math to avoid them being broken and maybe try to help out their ranges a bit, but especially short-range patches (like MeCripp's) will want some revisions.

Just a side note; if I ever provide official patches for compatibility with other mods, I'd like it to be in collaboration with those mod makers. In the meantime, I'd like to provide a more useful venue for user-contributed patches to be found, where users can help curate the collection. Maybe I'll set up a wiki at my github repo for such a use, where users can collect links and add comments like "outdated" or "long range" or "short range" or something. We'll see!

That sounds promising! Anyway, now that I've understood the logic of the patching I might be able to do it by myself, so I will try to fix by myself because of pride and curiosity mainly :) And I totally understand, it's problematic I guess to release an official patch using RT parts without them knowing and agreeing. Anyway now I can start my career save with serenity and the perspective of building relay without working on them 5 hours. And as a side note I might try to produce a patch that will ajust ranges and make it easier to do relays with Outer Planets mod.

A question, since I'm bad with the math, with the latest version, what's the maximum distance the first small antenna and the big dish can communicate? I have a rocket I'm about to launch to Duna, and its got a sat it will leave in orbit to act as a relay with a big dish, and a rover which has the small antenna. I plan to have the big dish in orbit to act as a relay between Kerbin and Duna, but I don't know if that will work, or what orbit would be too high? Thanks for any help.

toadicus has the raw numbers (and some interpretation) in this post over here, but here's how to crunch them out in general (e.g. for other antennas):

To get the nominal range of the link between two antennas, multiply their nominalRanges of the antennas and take the square root. For the 88-88 and 16, that's a hair over 8 million meters (8000 km).

Closer than that and you'll get a bonus to data rate, further and you get penalized. To get the maximum range where maximum data rate applies, divide the nominal range by the square root of the square root of the product of the two antennas' maxDataFactors (whew!). For the two antennas in question, that's sqrt(sqrt(8)), so the maximum range where you'll get max data rate is 4.8 million meters.

Further than nominal, you get penalized by data rate, up to a maximum point governed by the max power factors. To get this range, multiply by the square root of the square root of the product of the maxPowerFactors, which is sqrt(sqrt(128)), so the maximum possible range is about 27 million meters.

To put those numbers in perspective, Duna SOI is 47 million meters, so as long as you're not too far out, you'll be OK. In fact, satellites in a dunastationary orbit will give your surface probes the maximum possible data rate.

- - - Updated - - -

That sounds promising! Anyway, now that I've understood the logic of the patching I might be able to do it by myself, so I will try to fix by myself because of pride and curiosity mainly :) And I totally understand, it's problematic I guess to release an official patch using RT parts without them knowing and agreeing. Anyway now I can start my career save with serenity and the perspective of building relay without working on them 5 hours. And as a side note I might try to produce a patch that will ajust ranges and make it easier to do relays with Outer Planets mod.

Outer Planets already comes with a patch that puts the 88-88's nominal range at 8e11 meters. Its max link distance to a level 3 KSC is 2.7e12, which is plenty to reach Plock (7e11).

I have passed into the stage of game testing my patch, however I am seeing strange results.

I am sure these are due to my lack of knowledge regarding how MM works or something that I am missing, but:

1. Issue 1: The Origami antennas show no nominal and max ranges inside the VAB, even though the patch seems to have been applied Correction: Seems like the problem is that data inside the VAB seems to use simpleRange all the time instead of adjusting itself to the actual setting used:

a) https://bg3.biz/cloud/index.php/s/LHsHhtLJbvyWYji - patch has been applied, but no ranges on Origami Correction: This is due to the aforementioned constant usage of simpleRange for the VAB data tab, a value which I didn't define for the Origami's in my patch.

B)https://bg3.biz/cloud/index.php/s/dANudTIivIDhRO8 - default antennas show ranges Correction: But simpleRange

c) https://bg3.biz/cloud/index.php/s/yWtcCFCMG1CCmm6 - upon launch I see transmission ranges, but they are nothing like the expected ones in my spreadsheet. Correction: Maybe something with simpleRange? I doubt it, it should stay at the simpleRange value if so?

2. As a follow-up to screenshot "c" - An illustrative shot, accompanied with data - I am using additive ranges and no "fixed cost" with the latest version of the dev build.

https://bg3.biz/cloud/index.php/s/HBQKw5Qp6kKdbPQ

EDIT: Yes, MrBonobo, I think the base of the patch I am making came from MeCripp, however I have modified it slightly.

Edited by smunisto

I have passed into the stage of game testing my patch, however I am seeing strange results.

I am sure these are due to my lack of knowledge regarding how MM works or something that I am missing, but:

1. Issue 1: The Origami antennas show no nominal and max ranges inside the VAB, even though the patch seems to have been applied:

a) https://bg3.biz/cloud/index.php/s/LHsHhtLJbvyWYji - patch has been applied, but no ranges on Origami

B)https://bg3.biz/cloud/index.php/s/dANudTIivIDhRO8 - default antennas show ranges.

c) https://bg3.biz/cloud/index.php/s/yWtcCFCMG1CCmm6 - upon launch I see transmission ranges, but they are nothing like the expected ones in my spreadsheet.

2. As a follow-up to screenshot "c" - all antennas show ranges, that are different than the ones I defined in the spreadsheet.

Don't know if this will help but you should inspire yourself from the patch given by MeCripp from the previous page. I tried my own patch but finally he was the one who got it right, you might adapt your patch according to what you see in his.

To put those numbers in perspective, Duna SOI is 47 million meters, so as long as you're not too far out, you'll be OK. In fact, satellites in a dunastationary orbit will give your surface probes the maximum possible data rate.

Excellent, I'm good then.

Hey toadicus, I think your maxTransmitDistance isn't getting properly set in the editor in the additive range case. Looking at the numbers in the editor, nominal range to Kerbin is OK, but the maximum range seems to be getting calculated based on the simpleRange (e.g. 11.4 Gm = sqrt(20500000 * sqrt(8) * 2.25e12) for the Communotron 16). (They work just fine in flight, calculating both nominal and maximum ranges correctly based on nominalRange, since I use additive ranging.)

This has the side effect of causing antennas whose patches I haven't updated to the new AR format (i.e. missing simpleRange) to report a zero maximum range in the editor.

smunisto, I'm sorry, the ranges in my spreadsheets and configs for the KSCs are actually the maximum ranges, not the nominal ranges. So all of your calculations are high by sqrt(sqrt(8)). That's my bad; I didn't properly inform you about that, and wasn't consistent enough to cover the gap. :(

Kerbas_ad_astra is also right; the maximum range to KSC tooltip in the editors is wrong. Fixed now by commit #84925a48.

smunisto, I'm sorry, the ranges in my spreadsheets and configs for the KSCs are actually the maximum ranges, not the nominal ranges. So all of your calculations are high by sqrt(sqrt(8)). That's my bad; I didn't properly inform you about that, and wasn't consistent enough to cover the gap. :(

Thank you for the answer. However, would you care to elaborate on this?

I am sorry, but my math english is terrible. From what I understand, I should probably transfer all of my nominalLinkDistance calculations to the MaxLinkDistance tab. Or maybe I should remove the multiplication from the formula somewhere?

Here's is my chart again for reference:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YZaOYZtx-ikgOV6W0QTF1GErYTbS8uhHgMO-WIRTjUk/edit?usp=sharing

This time it has edit permissions, so feel free to fix it in one cell(or in a few cells in order to make the formula correct), just mark them in some color. I will later revise the chart and my patch.

And of course, thanks yet again for the immense help.

smunisto, fixed the KSC ranges for you. Since your 90-09 was already set up to self-balance itself based on the nominalRange you wanted, it did so. The Farseer might need to be redone manually. :)

Sneaky Edit:

Dun dun duh...

Edited by toadicus
So sneaky.

I found the science transmission bug [R&D]: No Science Subject found with id sciencelab@Mun as well, but without the antenna range plug-in. The only add-on that I am currently running is DebrisFix. The Communotron is extended and the science transmission registers up to 100% (twice), yet no science is transmitted and the antenna remains extended and transmitting. Aborting the transmission only progresses to have a perpetual "aborting transmission" message replacing the "transmitting" message. The antenna is on a docked rover. If I disconnect and/or reconnect the rover, there is no change to the antenna status.

Here is a copy of a section of the Player.log (Mac OS 10.10.3).

[R&D]: No Science Subject found with id sciencelab@Mun

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ResearchAndDevelopment.GetScienceValue (Single dataAmount, .ScienceSubject subject, Single xmitScalar) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ResearchAndDevelopment.SubmitScienceData (Single dataAmount, .ScienceSubject subject, Single xmitScalar, .ProtoVessel source, Boolean reverseEngineered) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RnDCommsStream.submitStreamData (.ProtoVessel source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RnDCommsStream.StreamData (Single dataAmount, .ProtoVessel source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModuleDataTransmitter+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

[CurrencyConverter for Unpaid Research Program]: 0 Reputation taken, yields 0 Science

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[CurrencyConverter for Unpaid Research Program]: 0 Reputation taken, yields 0 Science

mcalisi, as helpful as I'd like to be, if you're not using my mod I'm not sure how I can help you. ;)

I can tell you that there is not a stock experiment definition for "sciencelab", so I'm guessing (just guessing, though) that you have some other mod that is broken and/or installed incorrectly.

As smunisto says, you should probably have a look at the Support (Modded Installs) forum. Good luck!

mcalisi, as helpful as I'd like to be, if you're not using my mod I'm not sure how I can help you. ;)

I can tell you that there is not a stock experiment definition for "sciencelab", so I'm guessing (just guessing, though) that you have some other mod that is broken and/or installed incorrectly.

As smunisto says, you should probably have a look at the Support (Modded Installs) forum. Good luck!

Sorry to butt in but

I found the science transmission bug [R&D]: No Science Subject found with id sciencelab@Mun as well, but without the antenna range plug-in. The only add-on that I am currently running is DebrisFix. The Communotron is extended and the science transmission registers up to 100% (twice), yet no science is transmitted and the antenna remains extended and transmitting. Aborting the transmission only progresses to have a perpetual "aborting transmission" message replacing the "transmitting" message. The antenna is on a docked rover. If I disconnect and/or reconnect the rover, there is no change to the antenna status.

Looks like his is try to say he is ?

EDIT- He could type bad like me and is meaning other then AntennaRange plugin either way more info is needed hehe

Edited by Mecripp2

I'm interpreting "the only add-on that I am currently running is DebrisFix" as meaning "I don't have AntennaRange installed."

Stock doesn't have an experiment named "sciencelab" and AntennaRange doesn't add one. Wherever that message is coming from, one of my mods is not causing it, at least not directly.

AntennaRange has been updated to version 1.10! This version implements "additive" ranges, which means that antenna links will be symmetric, and also vary based on the connected relay or the upgrade level of the KSC tracking station, as relevant. This hopefully adds a bit of complexity and a bit more realism. Don't like it? Turn it off! As with most features, Additive Ranges are optional. They're enabled by default, but if you disable them, the old asymmetric system will take over using the new antenna property "simpleRange".

The ranges released in this version are:

[TABLE][TR][TD][TABLE][TR][TD][/TD][TD]From→[/TD][TD]Comm. 16[/TD][TD]Comms DTS[/TD][TD]Comm. 88-88[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]To↓[/TD][TD][m][/TD][TD]1.80E+04[/TD][TD]6.30E+09[/TD][TD]3.70E+10[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Comm. 16[/TD][TD]1.80E+04[/TD][TD]1.80E+04[/TD][TD]1.06E+07[/TD][TD]2.58E+07[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Comms DTS[/TD][TD]6.30E+09[/TD][TD]1.06E+07[/TD][TD]6.30E+09[/TD][TD]1.53E+10[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Comm. 88-88[/TD][TD]3.70E+10[/TD][TD]2.58E+07[/TD][TD]1.53E+10[/TD][TD]3.70E+10[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]KSC1[/TD][TD]8.00E+05[/TD][TD]1.20E+05[/TD][TD]7.10E+07[/TD][TD]1.72E+08[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]KSC2[/TD][TD]2.00E+11[/TD][TD]6.00E+07[/TD][TD]3.55E+10[/TD][TD]8.60E+10[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]KSC3[/TD][TD]2.00E+12[/TD][TD]1.90E+08[/TD][TD]1.12E+11[/TD][TD]2.72E+11[/TD][/TR][/TABLE][/TD][TD][TABLE][TR][TD]|[/TD][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][/TR][TR][TD]|[/TD][TD]To↓ From→[/TD][TD]Comm. 16[/TD][TD]Comms DTS[/TD][TD]Comm. 88-88[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]|[/TD][TD]Comm. 16[/TD][TD]<Kerbin Orbit[/TD][TD]Kerbisynchronous Orbit[/TD][TD]Kerbin->Mun[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]|[/TD][TD]Comms DTS[/TD][TD]Kerbisynchronous Orbit[/TD][TD]Jool's Moons[/TD][TD]Jool's Moons[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]|[/TD][TD]Comm. 88-88[/TD][TD]Kerbin->Mun[/TD][TD]Jool's Moons[/TD][TD]Kerbin->Duna[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]|[/TD][TD]KSC1[/TD][TD]Low Kerbin Orbit[/TD][TD]Kerbin->Minmus[/TD][TD]Kerbin SOI[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]|[/TD][TD]KSC2[/TD][TD]Kerbin->Minmus[/TD][TD]Kerbin->Duna[/TD][TD]Kerbin->Jool[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]|[/TD][TD]KSC3[/TD][TD]Kerbin SOI[/TD][TD]Kerbin->Jool[/TD][TD]Kerbin->Eeloo[/TD][/TR][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

If you use a custom patch to support your favorite part mod, this patch might help to bring it more in line with the default AntennaRange behavior. It also might really not. The best option is to offer the author an update to the patch in question!

{
@MODULE[ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter]
{
simpleRange = #$nominalRange$
@nominalRange /= 3221
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter]:HAS[!simpleRangenominalRange[>99999999]]:NEEDS[AntennaRange]:AFTER[AntennaRange]
{
@MODULE[ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter]
{
simpleRange = #$nominalRange$
@nominalRange /= 6
}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter]:HAS[!simpleRangenominalRange[<100000000]]:NEEDS[AntennaRange]:AFTER[AntennaRange]

CHANGELOG:

v.1.10 [2015-06-13]
* Now supports "additive" ranges! Relay links will now be symmetric by default, and range limits will vary based on the connected relay or level of KSC's tracking station.
* Various optimizations throughout to reduce perfomance drop due to large relay networks.

Thanks for the update, Toadicus!

Here's an updated config for the Tantares antennas.

@PART[Libra_Antenna_A]:FOR[Tantares]:NEEDS[AntennaRange,!RemoteTech]
{
@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
{
@name = ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter
nominalRange = 500000
simpleRange = 1610500000
maxPowerFactor = 4
maxDataFactor = 2
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceContainer

dataIsCollectable = true
dataIsStorable = false

storageRange = 2
}
}

@PART[Libra_Antenna_B]:FOR[Tantares]:NEEDS[AntennaRange,!RemoteTech]
{
{
nominalRange = 50000000
simpleRange = 161050000000
maxPowerFactor = 8
maxDataFactor = 4
}

MODULE
{

dataIsCollectable = true
dataIsStorable = false

storageRange = 2
}
}

@PART[Vega_Antenna_A]:FOR[Tantares]:NEEDS[AntennaRange,!RemoteTech]
{
{
nominalRange = 13000000
simpleRange = 41873000000
maxPowerFactor = 8
maxDataFactor = 4
}

MODULE
{

dataIsCollectable = true
dataIsStorable = false

storageRange = 2
}
}

@PART[Vega_Antenna_B]:FOR[Tantares]:NEEDS[AntennaRange,!RemoteTech]
{
{
nominalRange = 50000000
maxPowerFactor = 8
maxDataFactor = 4
}

MODULE
{

dataIsCollectable = true
dataIsStorable = false

storageRange = 2
}
}

@PART[Vega_Antenna_C]:FOR[Tantares]:NEEDS[AntennaRange,!RemoteTech]
{
{
nominalRange = 250000
simpleRange = 805250000
maxPowerFactor = 3
maxDataFactor = 2
}

MODULE
{

dataIsCollectable = true
dataIsStorable = false

storageRange = 2
}
}

@PART[Tantares_Antenna_A]:FOR[Tantares]:NEEDS[AntennaRange,!RemoteTech]
{
{
nominalRange = 50000000
maxPowerFactor = 8
maxDataFactor = 4
}

MODULE
{

dataIsCollectable = true
dataIsStorable = false

storageRange = 2
}
}

@PART[Almach_Antenna_A]:FOR[Tantares]:NEEDS[AntennaRange,!RemoteTech]
{
{
nominalRange = 120000
simpleRange = 386520000
maxPowerFactor = 2
maxDataFactor = 1
}

MODULE
{

dataIsCollectable = true
dataIsStorable = false

storageRange = 2
}
}

Any chance of adding a setting for cumulative range based on the number of antennas?

Remotetech has an option to switch this feature on, so for example a probe with two whip antennas has double the range of a probe with just one. It gives you a way to push your range a little further with the downside of the antennas using more total power... makes for some nice soviet looking probes bristling with antennas!

I just switched to 1.10, and just as in the latest dev version, there are some differences between in-game data and my spreadsheet.

After you helped me by fixing the KSC ranges, the max ranges fell in line with the spreadsheet. However the nominal ranges still show values, different than the ones I have in the spreadsheet.

Until I fix this, I am posting the Origami antenna re-balance pass, which modifies all the AR ranges across the board to accommodate 2 more antennas within AntennaRange's stock behaviour.

These are all the possible ranges in the re-balance pass:

https://bg3.biz/cloud/index.php/s/Bik4dE0txPR8767

The patch is set up to work best with the 1.10 "Additive Ranges" option, but has Simple Ranges too. The simple range values correspond to the MaxLinkDistances of each antenna with KSC2(the green row in the bottom chart).

Since the ORIGAMI antenna part mod has been released under GPL2, I have packed the whole part mod, along with the custom config in this download:

https://bg3.biz/cloud/index.php/s/sNSgO3KmCRGUVOE

Install like any other mod in your Game Data directory.

All credit for creating the Origami foldable antenna dishes themselves goes to the original author - IGNOBIL.

Here is a link to the original mod thread for reference.

Shots of the antennas themselves:

34qpmhs.png

j920ck.png

AntennaRange has been updated to version 1.10! This version implements "additive" ranges, which means that antenna links will be symmetric, and also vary based on the connected relay or the upgrade level of the KSC tracking station, as relevant. This hopefully adds a bit of complexity and a bit more realism. Don't like it? Turn it off! As with most features, Additive Ranges are optional. They're enabled by default, but if you disable them, the old asymmetric system will take over using the new antenna property "simpleRange".

I hate to be dense, but can somebody explain this to me like I'm a total idiot?

I hate to be dense, but can somebody explain this to me like I'm a total idiot?

In the old system (also known as "asymmetric" or "non-additive"), your transmission range was based solely on the antenna of the active vessel. The antenna on the other end of the transmission didn't matter. This system was "asymmetric" because it meant that sometimes Vessel A could transmit to Vessel B while Vessel B could not transmit to Vessel A, if the two vessels had different antennae.

The new system (also known as "symmetric" or "additive") takes into account the antennae on both ends of a transmission (the sender and the receiver). This means that a small antenna can transmit a longer distance if the other antenna is more powerful, and the range will always be the same in both directions. This is particularly relevant when communicating directly with Kerbin, because ground-based antennae are very powerful relative to those found on spacecraft. The range of your ground-based communication will increase as you upgrade the KSC tracking station.

Mulbin, for right now I'm going to say "probably not". As far as I'm aware that's not a particularly realistic model, and at this point I don't have a way to make more than one antenna transmit and thereby spend ElectricCharge. I'm pretty sure I'd have to overhaul Squad's whole transmission subsystem for that, which isn't currently on my to-do list. :)

smunisto, I took another pass at your spreadsheet; see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13BxJQrxNytTETv-YluwmPEq6xYcQrNRmy7kxHsYaOOc/edit?usp=sharing

I'm pretty sure all the math should be updated to reflect the way the mod works, and I think I've done all the right assignments to get the values that you want out of it. Take a look and see if that helps you out. :)

Guys, there's one particular antenna, called @PART[AntennaDF2] { // AIES CommTech DF-RD Antenna. It is meant to be phased array, electronically steered, like on Messenger probe. What if I want it to have 2 modes - undeployed, eating almost no ElectricCharge but having small range, and deployed - full throttle? Can this mod do that? If yes - give me a clue.

BTW, any attempts to do a similar balance re OPM/CTT? For now I just extended the Farseer to cover Neidon, and was planning to mess around with the RT2 RTGigaDish1 for Plock, but I can't really claim that I know what I'm doing :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.