In-Flight Modifications

Hey again, everyone,

Is there any sort of mod which would allow a kerbal on EVA to remove parts from a ship? I'm playing in career mode and have hit a bit of a snag.

I've been spending today, having just started playing career mode this week, by executing free-return orbits past Mün with a science bay and two goo canisters in tow trying to rack up as many points as I can. As part of this I've also been doing EVAs when near the moon, though it doesn't give many points now. Once I got my FRT correct my pods were returning a little hot so I switch out the single chute for three of the heavier chutes. I also added some struts between the pod and the science bay after a couple of frustrating losses on splashdown. Something in that mixture obstructed the crew door on my pod in such a way that when Jeb went out for his EVA he was forcefully ejected from the ship. I got him back and tried to re-board but nothing was working. Dang ;.;

Good news is, I've just executed a flawless recovery of a stranded kerbal from Mün orbit. Having swapped out my science bay for a second command pod I inserted into Mün orbit rendezvous with Jeb and got him on board for a safe, uneventful return to splashdown.

Bad news, I've got a perfectly good rocket, fuel, and valued science points up in space. I'd like to go up there, remove the two chutes and one strut that i think are blocking the hatch and have one of the two kerbals fly it back. Any such luck?

I now MAC's if you use two fingers (Instead of one) it's a right click, not sure if the same principle applies.

If you immediately close and reload the game (Before it autosaves) you should be ok (You must be quick about it)

Edited by Taki117
New info

Hmm... so it does seem like the Whack-a-Kerbin is firing but it is coming from random places off the screen. Doesn't matter at this point though, I accidentally destroyed the ship. Is there a revert to last auto-save?

No, that's what quicksave is for. F5 to quicksave, F9 to quickload

I wrote a perl script last night that can safely remove parts from a ship in orbit (as long as the parts are not parents to other parts). Needs a little work for parts with more complex connections. It did successfully remove 14 solar panels from my 626 part space station without breaking any other parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.