[0.23] Crowd-sourced Science Logs: SCIENCE NEEDS YOU!

codepants

All - Just broke my arm (snowboarding). Typing/computer work is a pain. Apologies for not prioritizing this but expect no updates for a week or two.

Pieman -- just copy the file over the existing one. Maybe one of the moderators can type a little more. :)

I'm confused, sorry, I'm new here. I downloaded the file as a .txt, but I cant change the file type from a .txt file. Is it as simple as renaming it and adding a .txt acronym, or do i have to change the "open with" option. I'm on a windows 7 laptop. In other words, I cant change the file type away from a text file...

I'm confused, sorry, I'm new here. I downloaded the file as a .txt, but I cant change the file type from a .txt file. Is it as simple as renaming it and adding a .txt acronym, or do i have to change the "open with" option. I'm on a windows 7 laptop. In other words, I cant change the file type away from a text file...

You mean that you just want to change it from a .txt file to a .cfg file? Just open it in notepad, go to file, save-as and type in sciencedefs.cfg (or whatever you want to name it, just add the .cfg at the end).

You mean that you just want to change it from a .txt file to a .cfg file? Just open it in notepad, go to file, save-as and type in sciencedefs.cfg (or whatever you want to name it, just add the .cfg at the end).

Yes, I understand that part. I am unable to change the file type however and even when I move it into the correct folder (and delete the original), I cannot use the mod... in fact, no science works at all when I click on it. The file still says txt file even though I changed the name and simply added a .cfg to the end of the name

Ok, I figured it out. If you have your folder view options set to hide filetype extentions, then even if you put .cfg at the end of a txt file, the actual name of the file will be ScienceDefs.cfg.txt, so what you need to do is this :

open any folder. go to folder and search options (under organize in top left corner). under view options deselect "hide extensions for known file types". now go to the file you want to change it will be say "suchansuch.txt" change last three letters making it "suchansuch.cfg"

I just did that, and the name of my file suddenly showed as ScienceDefs.cfg.txt, so now I can just rename it properly, and it will change the file type as well.

Edited by pseudocalm

Ok, I figured it out. If you have your folder view options set to hide filetype extentions, then even if you put .cfg at the end of a txt file, the actual name of the file will be ScienceDefs.txt.cfg, so what you need to do is this :

open any folder. go to folder and search options (under organize in top left corner). under view options deselect "hide extensions for known file types". now go to the file you want to change it will be say "suchansuch.txt" change last three letters making it "suchansuch.cfg"

I just did that, and the name of my file suddenly showed as ScienceDefs.txt.cfg, so now I can just rename it properly, and it will change the file type as well.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Yes, if you reference this thread, including a link, and acknowledge that your version won't have our updates unless you pull from us (not good or bad, just something to know -- not that we're getting a lot of submissions right now).

Thanks for asking. :)

Included many links and a place in the readme.

I find it depressing that spaceport is reading zero downloads for your custom biomes mod, it's something I'd been looking forward to ever since they first added biomes. Ah well, at least one has been downloaded now ^..^

Oh, and the reason I've been gone so long is life stuff. Sadly I won't have the free time to help out with filtering submissions anymore.

how do i download this? could someone explain?

!!!These instructions are only good for WINDOWS installs. If you're on mac or linux I can't help you!!!

go into your KSP directory, look for this file:

gamedata/squad/resources/sciencedefs.cfg

open that with a text editor, then set it aside. Load up this file and click inside the window, then press "Control+A" and then "Control+C" on your keyboard. this will copy the file.

Bring up the text editor you had open. click inside the text area and press "Control+A" and then "Control+V" this will paste the new text into the file. Save and close.

If you have KSP installed into your Program Files directory, you may have to run the text editor as admin or temporarily move the file to your desktop to edit it. Once the new data's been injected, it should run just fine. the only in-game difference you should notice is that now dozens more bits of dialogue have a chance of coming up when you run experiments.

Has anybody seen "KerbinInSpace" text in game? Because there is wrong syntax in this name. As i understand it shoud be like PlanetName+ExperimentSituation+Biome.

Biome can be empty.

But "InSpace" is not in ExperimentSituation enum. It should be "InSpaceLow" or "InSpaceHigh" or some other situation.

There are also some names like "KerbalSrfLandedLaunchpad". There is no planet named "Kerbal".

Edited by Alsimexa

Hi dudes. I am a horrible lazy so I wrote a simple Perl script that downloads the latest version of the file with science.

If differs from that in the folder with the game script updates it.

Cons? You need to have Perl. But if you're lazy like me you probably have.

Enjoy: http://bit.ly/scupdate (github gist)

Has anybody seen "KerbinInSpace" text in game? Because there is wrong syntax in this name. As i understand it shoud be like PlanetName+ExperimentSituation+Biome.

Biome can be empty.

But "InSpace" is not in ExperimentSituation enum. It should be "InSpaceLow" or "InSpaceHigh" or some other situation.

There are also some names like "KerbalSrfLandedLaunchpad". There is no planet named "Kerbal".

He is right, there are quite a few mistakes in the "checked" cfg. Also, there are [body]InSpace (not [body]InSpaceHigh/Low) Biomes listed for any planet in the file for submitting entries. Is this a mistake? Will it just use them for High and Low?

He is right, there are quite a few mistakes in the "checked" cfg. Also, there are [body]InSpace (not [body]InSpaceHigh/Low) Biomes listed for any planet in the file for submitting entries. Is this a mistake? Will it just use them for High and Low?

Guys, if you've found any mistakes please leave a comment in the cfg file itself (Google docs allow it). I've already marked KerbAl entries.

When Kyle gets better/less busy he'll fix it.

Guys, if you've found any mistakes please leave a comment in the cfg file itself (Google docs allow it). I've already marked KerbAl entries.

When Kyle gets better/less busy he'll fix it.

This is by far the best way to get me to do something. My new job has taken over my life and I no longer remember to check these forums on a regular basis. If you leave a comment in the file I will likely make the change or reply within 48 hours.

The script still runs daily; whether things are getting approved is up to the moderators. Speaking of which, we can always use more -- see application instructions in the first post. If I don't get back to you in a week, e-mail me, my address is in my profile info.