[0.23] Crowd-sourced Science Logs: SCIENCE NEEDS YOU!

codepants

what do you type before the = sign if you want biome specific ones for like, the mun?

You can find what you're looking for by copying the start of other entries:

MunSrfLandedMidlands = The darker midlands surface appears to be made up of basaltic rocks.

MunSrfLandedNorthernBasin = The sample contains evidence of a weak, localized magnetic field.

MunSrfLandedEastCrater = There are higher concentrations of metals in this crater than other samples.

MunSrfLandedNorthWestCrater = Deeper samples seems to contain more fragmented and shattered formations of rock.

MunSrfLandedSouthWestCrater = There appears to be layers of completely different materials here. It's possible this site has had multiple impacts.

MunSrfLandedFarsideCrater = Tiny flecks of purple flesh dot the mineral deposits here. The texture of the crater looks quite puckered. Is this evidence that this crater was once the home of the legendary Kraken?

MunSrfLandedCanyons = Samples in this location are striated. It's possible that the surface has fractured in this location.

MunSrfLandedPolarCrater = Samples from this location seem to show intense shock patterns.

MunSrfLandedPoles = You examine the rocks you have collected, upon further investigation you realise that there is a strange weight to one of them, it does not feel like it has the same weight as the other rocks you’ve collected and seems hollow. You promptly place it into a sample container.

MunSrfLandedPolarLowlands = Sample seems to contain frozen liquids... We should send them back to Kerbin for further analysis.

MunSrfLandedHighlands = The sample appears to be comprised of a large number of materials layered over time.

MunSrfLandedHighlandCraters = This crater seems to filled with useful materials in high concentration. What luck!

MunSrfLandedMidlandCraters = The patterning of this surface sample is particularly interesting

MunSrfLandedEastFarsideCrater = You're glad that the Mun's gravity is so low. Digging is backbreaking work!

MunSrfLandedTwinCraters = This area has a particularly high concentration of rare elements. Nice!

Good luck!

Sorry for the double post but you guys have to keep it clean. If you can't do that I will shut the project down. No swear words, poop eating, innuendos (explicit or otherwise). I really shouldn't have to say this. Kids play this game.

This is your one and only warning.

Due to excessive pirating I am changing the way this is done. Please hold for an update.

Edited by codepants

Sorry for the double post but you guys have to keep it clean. If you can't do that I will shut the project down. No swear words, poop eating, innuendos (explicit or otherwise). I really shouldn't have to say this. Kids play this game.

This is your one and only warning.

Due to excessive pirating I am changing the way this is done. Please hold for an update.

While this news isn't good in the least it is understandable.

So far it has been awesome apart from some idiotic entries and, well, people not knowing the limits. Of course, upcoming proofreading should remedy that, but I'd like to see some guidelines as well.

Apart from that, I'd like to see less explicit, less direct hints at all the Easter Eggs. Saying that Mystery Goo wants to escape to 'someTHING', for example. Hints should be veiled or followed by the negating statement; and also something looking similar to hints should be added to Easter Egg-free areas as well.

You can now submit entries

here.

I am currently working on a script to move the entries from the form submission spreadsheet to the compiled text document. All I will have to do is tick a box approving or not approving each entry. I could move them manually, and for one or two entries it's not that big of a deal, but for hundreds or potentially thousands it would be a pain. Additionally, I can use the script to sort them by biome so the file looks "nice," something that would be a pain to do by hand. If a script shaves off seconds per entry, that's hours or days of my time over the life of the file.

Why I like this better than Github:

While Github allows version control, reverting, etc., I foresee mostly the same problems we've had with Google Docs. I know they are different systems but bottom line, anybody can still add anything and I still have to go through the entire file once a day to accept or deny changes. With a Google Form, all the changes are in one place. Furthermore, if it becomes a problem I can even add a script to filter out adulterous language, so I wouldn't even know those logs existed. Seconds per entry...

In short, I think this is going to be less work for everyone and make it much easier to proofread everything. Nothing gets put in the file before a human sees it.

I will also open the compiled text document for comments ONLY, so you guys can still have an opinion. I don't want this to be a dictatorship.

That being said,

PROOFREADERS WANTED!

If you can prove to me in a PM you know how to spell, at some point I may become overwhelmed with proofreading these. If you are interesting in lending a hand please shoot me a PM.

- - -

EDIT: Also, if anybody knows how to embed a google form using BB code, that would be great. My best efforts currently yield this:

<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1xTiN2Jk1n9LnzSrlyRMrV4jhK1wDuJo4XGcR3Fu0no8/viewform?embedded=true#start=embed" width="760" height="500" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0">Loading...</iframe>

Edited by codepants

Entries like

or seem to be far outside the style of the Squad entries, to name one issue.

Does anyone else take issue with these?

I do for sure. They really need to fit the style of the game, otherwise it's just random spam. Variety is nice, but variety for the sake of variety is not.

Such a shame people could not be sensible. You keep saying "kids play this game" but I suspect that it is also a case of "kids have been contributing to this mod" (or at least people behaving like kids!). I think the new method of contributing is a good step forward though - nice work.

Oh, and great idea in the first place :)

Such a shame people could not be sensible. You keep saying "kids play this game" but I suspect that it is also a case of "kids have been contributing to this mod" (or at least people behaving like kids!). I think the new method of contributing is a good step forward though - nice work.

Oh, and great idea in the first place :)

not kids, drunk people...

Is it possible to add these to Krags planet mod? That'd be pretty swell.

EG, use biomes from those planets? Don't see why not, if they are implemented properly. You'd just have to know the names of their biomes.

Let me know if you need anything further from me to make this happen.

Interest might wane because of the new submission method.

Honestly, I don't see why it would. It might be "less fun" to hit a button instead of editing the actual file, but it's no more work and people are no less involved. I would go so far as to say it's easier for everyone, since you can't misspell anything in a drop down list, and people are less likely to submit profane posts in the first place.

That being said, I've only got about 18 submissions today compared to the average of 100+ per day in the past four days.

Can you recommend something that eliminates profanity, etc. that people would be as likely to keep interest in?

I'd like to add that some of the lines are very subtle references to easter eggs (like the orange mineral one), so I guess not all of them ought to be deleted.

I just want to make it clear that the goal of this change is not to delete anything that was written. The goal of this change is to prevent future additions from being outside the scope of the spirit of the game. Any entries previously submitted will not be deleted if they were not profane, etc.

The way I see it, if you were writing good stuff, you have nothing to worry about. The only difference is that you use a form to submit the log instead of writing it directly into the file.

Heh.

As an interesting aside, I find it rather funny how hard we as a society try to protect kids from the language they use to refer to each other behind our backs. I've never met a kid older than 6 or 7 that didn't already know most of the major swear words and didn't already use them when the adults aren't looking.

Heh.

As an interesting aside, I find it rather funny how hard we as a society try to protect kids from the language they use to refer to each other behind our backs. I've never met a kid older than 6 or 7 that didn't already know most of the major swear words and didn't already use them when the adults aren't looking.

That's not really what it's about for me. I don't find profanity particularly funny or clever, and I certainly don't think it has any place in the KSP universe. There's a time and a place for everything, but really I don't see any reason for there to be profanity in this particular game. It's nothing about children--heck, they'd find it entertaining I'd bet. I'm an adult and I just don't want to see it.

Heh.

I agree with your view, most of these kids probably use this language daily. If you don't like whats on there then delete it...

This was an innovative idea here at the beginning but because of a little profanity the OP goes back and decides to punish everyone that has been working on this collaboration...

Well if someone else has the time, please set up a google doc where we can all work on it again. Oh and maybe create 2 documents, one where you can write anything and another where it is filtered out. Another option would just be to use kyles list as the kid friendly list.

Heh.

It takes a lot of thinking and a streak of genius to make profanity funny for intellectually capable audience. I don't think there are many people out there with such a talent. Personally, I'm not against some mild old-fashioned swearing like 'damn' or 'what the Hell?' or 'Flight controller is a bloody idiot', but the joke needs to be really funny. And in case of this mod, I believe it's up to its author to set the guidelines and for us - to follow them.

Unfortunately, what this experiment revealed is that most people aren't nearly as funny or clever as they think they are. (Dunning-Kruger, anyone?)

I think you have hit on it. If submissions focused more on improving the depth of the game, rather than trying to raise a laugh then the problem would likely not have arisen.

I support the OP in the new method of submission. If there are only 18 line a day that are appropriate, then that is great - 18 new line. We could do without the 92 other lines that people are not willing to contribute because they are worried that they are not appropriate.