Establishing an establishment on the beautiful moon of Minmus (Revived in 2019)

Tw1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I suggest the next thing they do is build a oversized kerbin-minmus cycler.

Ooh, I like this idea. Don't know if I want to do such a thing in this save though, it's pretty full, but maybe once I've got some missions out of the way.

I probably should update this some time. Been taking a break from KSP, but this base has seen a little more development since then. Plus, it seems to have mostly survived the upgrade process, unlike some of my stations and motherships.

Stay tuned (But please be very patient, I'll probably work on the next Oceans of Eve next.)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

May the Mods spare this old thread resurrection, for it is my thread, and it's new relevant content 
Hello, and welcome back! It's a 2019 edition of the

wE0mfFm.png

That's right, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. It's time, and so on. 

One of the flaws of the original M.I.S.S.S. Central Hub was it failed to make use of Minmus's low gravity. It was too short and squat. 
But I can't completely redesign  it. It's in the logo. It's iconic. 

sI4NtLx.png

Instead, I've elevated it.

Re0wvBc.png

Now inside, there is room to bounce. A central platform and roof,  both in easy jumping range. 

Fj1BVi1.png

I'll take you on a tour of the new hub another time, as now, I have a new structure to debut. 

The Minmus Communications Tower!

HURGjS6.png

Based on the same principle as a similar, if much more massive tower previously built on Kerbin, and  located on the pole, this will have a near constant line of sight to anything in the solar system. 
Plus, it has that M.I.S.S.S. 20th C/Space Deco aesthetic.

zxiugcp.png

However,  on the pole it won't have any connection to the hub, as it  located near the equator, at 

lat =    3.89
lon = -86.0

I could do a network of satellites, and probably will at some point. But I want something a little more stable. 

Introducing Minmus Subtower 1

hT2WYxI.png

Centrally located between the hub and the tower,  it relays signal between them. zyDW1E0.png

Let me tell you how they got set up. 

Spoiler

The Main tower's launch was tenuous. The rocket was underpowered and not fitted with abort systems, due the flight director on duty's belief that 

kcBiys1.png

Despite this, it made it to orbit. After a few Perikerb kicks, it was set to arrive in 8 days.  
(Or 2 days in old money)

The Subtower launched on a similar set up, 4 days later, 

eWzrc6Y.png

But got a boost from the Mun, and arrived  in Minmus orbit a day earlier than the first tower.

OsyptmG.png

The tower landed, and disposed of its boosters in the usual fashion: 

B9E4hSH.png
tnrzwSF.pngSEjo7rQ.png

The subtower soon joined it, 

4IHEA4D.png

kR03nr9.png

But back at the Hub, I was getting no signal. The sharp eyed, and familiar with LLL mod might have noticed the issue in that last photo. The dish I used was not a relay. Darn.

A mission was quickly mounted to put this right:

OKfAQrX.png

6n9dGjF.png

And now, 

Successful connection. 

GyukB2G.png

Edited by Tw1

Cool!

3 hours ago, Tw1 said:

The Main tower's launch was tenuous. The rocket was underpowered and not fitted with abort systems, due the flight director on duty's belief that

What did the Flight Director believe?

9 hours ago, fulgur said:

Cool!

What did the Flight Director believe?

Opps, that is quite important. This Flight Director believes that abort systems encourage kerbals to give up before they make orbit. None of the kerbals like it when he's on duty, but it happens anyway. 

On 8/1/2019 at 11:32 PM, Geschosskopf said:

Yet another epic build!  I really enjoy your projects, @Tw1

Thank you! That is great to hear.
As someone  currently on my way to a career in architecture,  it's nice to hear that when I'm treating the game like minecraft creative mode. 

Edited by Tw1

On 7/31/2019 at 3:02 PM, Tw1 said:

Fj1BVi1.png

Ahhhh its so good to see LLL parts again.  Easily my favorite base part mod back in the day.  I couldn't find a "continued" thread, is someone still maintaining it per chance?  Normally @linuxgurugamer brings these back from the depths or Laythe and I believe has in the past.  Not a request LGG get back to the shuttle thread. :wink:

SM

12 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Ahhhh its so good to see LLL parts again.  Easily my favorite base part mod back in the day.  I couldn't find a "continued" thread, is someone still maintaining it per chance?  Normally @linuxgurugamer brings these back from the depths or Laythe and I believe has in the past.  Not a request LGG get back to the shuttle thread. :wink:

SM

I actually do have a somewhat updated version, but there are significant issues with the models

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Hub.
Z711WxF.pngRight at the center of Starfield Plateau. 

These days,  with rescue contracts or whatever, anyone could be up there in space. For security, the module is decked out in cameras, each placed to ensure maximum coverage from fewest different angles. 

Rd4WO5X.png

The roof is within jumping distance from the ground. It's easy to get up there, like these two, who were assembling one of the corridors.

TJXS7cy.png

Inside the top middle section are various meeting rooms.

pLWyhHA.png

I envision it having two decks, with the upper being taken up by mostly one room, which  serves as a mission control. 

Ckb41DG.png

The tops of the towers are various specialty  science labs.

KlSGSGp.png

I like to imagine they have various  shelf like internal configurations,  one might be something like this:

TBLir4r.png

It's easy to move between levels in the low gravity. Even wheelchair bound kerbals who still have the use of their arms could work here. 
The rest of the tower is with a more conventional deck and ladder layout, and contains more labs, and workshops for preparing equinemt.  

p4P8AqK.png

The bottoms are are briefing rooms. The both have equipment for missions, and nice furniture to great visitors. 
 xRzcMpp.png

On the inward facing side, the towers feature shelves of ports and hoses for re-supplying spacesuits and small rovers. 

2d8w3Mh.png

You could stretch the hose  out and use it on a big rover, but that' would probably be better done at a fuel depot.

zSEr0G3.png

Equipment developed in the hub is often deployed in the surrounding area,  with kerbals working in teams to set it all up most effectively. 

8LqeTes.png

G1uDZv8.png

The area deck is a half jump from the ground,  between  the miscellaneous offices and break rooms.

kq7vHlY.png

It's got lots of little hidey holes for kerbals to play about- uh, I mean, do science from.

4yYtX5c.png

And that's the Hub. 

W53EFiI.png

On 8/8/2019 at 8:27 PM, Speeding Mullet said:

Ahhhh its so good to see LLL parts again.  Easily my favorite base part mod back in the day.

Such a good pack. I only use the base parts, but they're perfect for making architecture. 

Edited by Tw1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.