The Wrong Brothers - career mode done differently (pic heavy)

katateochi

And where should the next mission take them? Jeb had much to ponder.....tbc

If you can do a manned Eve return mission using rolling takeoff and staged-ascent with wings, you will have won the game forever.

I'd never flown an aircraft on any other planet before, so it was pretty interesting! I did manage to find a place on Duna which was "reasonably" flat(ish), the kinda darker areas when viewed in map mode. Was your aircraft powered or a glider during descent?

Wow! Awesome Duna mission there! Congrats :).

Anyway, as to my Duna flying machine, it was a permanently-on-Duna airplane using Firespitter electric props that ran off a hybrid Kethane-solar powerplant. It entered the atmosphere as a glider but when it got low enough for the engines to work (they require air as coolant), I switched them on and flew it down under power. It could land in the roughest dune fields anywhere on the planet up to about 2700m elevation, maintain about 6000m cruising altitude (reached about 15 minutes after takeoff), and could circumnavigate the planet without refueling. I was so proud of it I made equaling or bettering it the goal of the "Flying Duna Challenge" linked in my sig. And damn if several folks haven't done rather better :). Now that you know what flying Duna is like, you should give the challenge a try.

I note we both arrived at the same method of getting our Duna fliers off Kerbin. Anything with enough wing for true flight on Duna is a total ***** to launch. Mine utterly refused to go up on a rocket so like you, I built a huge winged ascent stage on the back and flew it off the runway.

• 2 weeks later...
Great mission report katateochi, I like it so much I've stickied you :)

WOW!! You Sir have made my New Year!! That's awesome!! Thanks!

This was amazing.

Now. do it again in .23!

man. that sounds hard.

Again!? erm, would you mind if I wuss out from doing it again? It's been great fun, but man has it taken me a long long time. Still not quite done with it, I'll be finishing it off in 0.23, soon.

He probably forgot to copy his save game. So what happened was he probably has to start his career over.

No no, save is intact. Thankfully everything from this works just fine in 0.23, with one exception, the large SSTO Transporter, with its heaviest cargo couldn't get off the runway, but I just had to shift the cargo back a little bit and then it worked again. Weird that that was the only thing which changed and I'm a bit baffled as to why. Maybe something to do with how the control surfaces work now, but then all the other planes worked ok, hmmm.

Katateochi is still working on this campaign, but he moved recently and it's taking forever for them to set up his home internet.

Thanks for letting folks know why I'm kinda not here much atm (and for letting me know about this thread being stickied!)

Yeah, been moving house, getting stressed about work and I STILL don't have an internet line (using my phone to connect atm). Also I've been rather side tracked by 0.23 and had to run throu career mode in that real quick (much quicker with rockets than with planes!!).

I will be finishing this off soon, still not 100% sure what the next mission should be. The plan is to finish unlocking the tech tree in 1 more mission and I think I'm going to Laythe, but not 100% sure yet. Got a few designs I've been kicking around but I don't really like any of them so far, so more work is needed!

Amazing thread :) I'll follow it

edit: I didn't see you posted updates IN COMMENTS O_O

after reading them all...

I'm truly speechless...

amazing work

Thanks man.

hmmm, I guess others might have missed the other updates too, I'd not thought about that. I'll put some links in the initial post.

If I may weigh in, I do not believe Lathe alone will be enough for the rest of the tree in one mission. Now any SSTO that can take off on Lathe can easily land on Bop and Pol lander style. If you bring enough juice in the transfer stage to hit them too (and optimistically Vall too) then tech tree == done. Lathe alone most likely == tech tree != done. And for good measure, you can always drop a science missile into Jool for some atmospheric readings. :)

That said, you've done a hell of a lot more with planes than I've ever seen (that is, without obscene intake spam and/or CPU melting monstrosities) or could do myself. I struggle with SSTO aircraft. I much prefer rockets and am happily mozying my way through the tech tree on vertical take off. :wink:

If I may weigh in, I do not believe Lathe alone will be enough for the rest of the tree in one mission. Now any SSTO that can take off on Lathe can easily land on Bop and Pol lander style. If you bring enough juice in the transfer stage to hit them too (and optimistically Vall too) then tech tree == done. Lathe alone most likely == tech tree != done. And for good measure, you can always drop a science missile into Jool for some atmospheric readings. :)

katateochi already has a thin atmosphere, rocket powered glider. so send that into Jool!

katateochi already has a thin atmosphere, rocket powered glider. so send that into Jool!

Jool is like eve in the sense that nothing that goes in comes out. I personally wouldn't risk it, and my dev install has custom rocket fuel engines which work like jets (need atmosphere) but can burn on Jool and Eve. THEY can't go into Jool and come back. Jool == sinkhole for spacecraft.

Wow! I followed this initially but then lost it again (I think I follow too many threads... may be loosing track of some) Great work there in getting this far through the tech tree and for getting stickied (Hey, for once I didn't do a joke about stickying!). Definitely sub scribing to this, and have some rep. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.