Race Into Space (I WON!)

AmpsterMan

Hah, thanks guys. I think I got quite a few good rolls because I didn't have any catastrophic loses. What I tried to do was:

1: Do all possible missions with Mercury. That is, Suborbital, Orbital, EVA, and Duration B.

2: Gemini, do all duration missions FIRST. This would mean I only needed to have one Launch Pad for the first few launches until I unlocked the Moon probes. When Practicing docking, I only used the Agena test vehicle because it could be launched on an Atlas and because it is cheaper.

3: When I got to Apollo I kinda just rushed to the end with the minimum amount of missions needed so I can't really think, of anything special I did.

One thing I tried my best to do was make sure my pilots had 4 in whatever skill they were assigned to. There were a few times where something or the other would fail on my craft and it specifically would say the astronauts fixed it. I don't know how much the skills affected that but I had a feeling they did.

EDIT:

You guys are really gonna hate me now :D

PPcTxVE.png

Edited by AmpsterMan

Wow. I spent several hours on it when my laptop died on me and I was on my pre-historic linux 11 inch. USSR obliterated me. The US obliterated me. I took many risks. Too many.

A few of the things I thought were strange were the high reliabilitty of rockets and the low reliability of spacecraft when historically it was the other way around. Also, the fact that one only ever gets a 1% increase in reliability for a launch all but eliminates unmanned flights as practical.

At 80% reliability for Mercury it's honestly almost suicide to do anything but a suborbital and then orbital flight. The Soviets are almost always going to be the firsts to get a man in space so one must weigh the options of doing the extended and EVA missions on Mercury or wait for Gemini.

The best tip I can give is to get the most possible from your Gemini Program. Try to run a Pioneer/Ranger program concurrently with your Gemini endurance missions. Assuming you don't do endurance with Mercury, you can get endurance B-E taken care of while simultaneously launching Pioneer Missions. Then do some docking and EVA missions.

While running your Endurance missions, get a 4 astronauts minimum and train them in docking. Having high capsule skill is a plus, but not nessesary. The key is to have those astronauts doing your docking missions when you start them.

As I said previously, I think the key to winning lies in project Gemini. If you can get good at docking and Evas while advancing in the Apollo/Saturn vehicles, you can afford to take a hit with Mercury/Explorer.

Ive just started playing Race Into Space because of this post and now im stuck at how to assemble my rocket at the VAB and I have consulted the manual and that has not helped, any help?

1. Go to the Administration building

2. Got to future missions screen

3. Use arrows on left to pick a mission. The number with the A-OK/Danger/Caution represents how likely the mission is to succeed

4. End your turn

5. On your next turn, go the the VAB and look for your mission name in the big text boxes. Then, click the "Assemble Hardware" button. If you have everything you need, all you'll have to do is click assign. If not, click the autopurchase button and you'll auto-buy everything else you need.

6. Go to the mission control building and assign a date of launch

7. End your turn

8. On your next turn, the rocket should launch.

Edited by Flymetothemun

QQ1Proj.png

That's on level 3 difficulty btw :D

Though i have to admit, I got extremely lucky toward the end. I had an avoid fail on the Nova Rocket, so I launched it with 10% readiness and an avoid fail on the Jupiter, though that one was safe. Didn't even do unmanned flybys or landings.

Merging this into the main Race Into Space thread :)

I'm playing the latest version released under the GPL in 2011, which should be available through this site. It works just fine on my 64-bit version of Windows 7.

Thanks!

Anyways, I'm donating $100 in funds for the game in the Apollo Tier.

Oh, and by the way, a quick question.

In BASIR, I managed to get the US to launch the first man into space along with the first satellite years before the Russians.

I still got fired. :huh:

Edited by NASAFanboy

Hey dude, it happens. This game is super random at times...

s5pFN37.png

What makes this special is that they are all women. Funk and Beeson had both been in my last Gemini flight that failed. Funk got injured and went to the hospital. Beeson went to LM training. They were my best trained Astronauts. They were able to fix four failures, and Beeson was even able to save the flight when landing. It was epic!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.