If you were the Lead Dev.........

Lundmunchkins

I would scrap career mode until there was a clear plan of how all the pieces are supposed to fit together. Then I'd get back to the important stuff: reentry heat and damage, life support, optimization (that's on the way already, nice!), more places to explore, more parts.

I'd love to see a budget added so we have to pay for the parts, fuel, kerbals and R&D.

As others have suggested more planets and moons, possibly asteriods and comets??

Wouldn't want to see time travel, warp drives, space weapons or ships at light speed. :-)

Launch planning (interplanetary maneuver nodes from the command center - then go to the launchpad at launch window)

Stock fairings and some metrics like Delta-V and TWR (let's turn that science data we collect into some Knowledge Base information!)

Edited by Caelib

I'd like to flesh out the rest of the planets and moons. Multiple biomes for each body, and ideally an additional system of notable or interesting geological features to find and research (cryovolcanic vents on Eeloo, metallic asteroid fragments on Dres, and giant hurricanes on Jool, stuff like that). I'd also like to see improved ground scatter to make planetary surfaces more believable.

just to spite the kiddos who rant and whine on the forums, I'd tell my devs to stop interacting with the customers, stop reading the forums, stop all daily and weekly announcement posts, and then go do something completely opposite to everything those kiddos have been asking for.

Which would be good as what those kiddos ask for (military, competitive multiplayer, making things harder, etc. etc. etc.) are not what the majority of potential customers want, and it'd mean a lot less frustration for the devs as well, and a lot more time to get actual work done.

More planets! Resources! New parts that can be customized by players, mission requirements ( Like to do this mission you have to visit Duna..)! Also Satellites can send Data and Scan ( make a map ) for the celestial body and finally! DOCKING CAM!

I would add more things in game that allow modders to flourish with. I wouldn't worry about making parts but just making additions that allow for new kinds of parts, etc.

But, if I really could do anything significant in a timely manner it's 64bit support and multi-core optimization for Windows.

First: release 0.23 relative quickly with

• Game optimizations (which are supposed to be nearly done)
  • Science fixes
  • Biome maps for Minmus, Duna and Eve

For .24: Expanded career!

• Add expanded [new game] screen. With options like Career/Sandbox, Perma-death on/off, and a difficulty slider (which will influence your science yield, and later budget and payment as well).
  • Add budgets, and paid objectives. Some propaganda (we want a rocket in Space! A Kerbal on the Mun!), some 'usefull' (satellite network).
  • On low difficulty your budget is still unlimited (payed by Cool-Stuff-Tax, something every Kerbal pays with pleasure).

Future stuff:

• Implement Observatory planet discovery, somehow linked to science. ('discovery' might also be 'accurate orbit determination' since one can expect Kerbals to have known of Jools existence a long time)
  • Add 1 more gas giant with rings and moons, and add a comet (which will be a near impossible target)
  • Incorporate 'usefull' plugins like FIGARO (gps-like) and SCANsat (mapping). These can be linked to objectives. Maintainence of said mechanics might still be 'outsourced' to the current devs.
  • Add Remote Tech limitations for higher difficulty

And the holy grail:

Incorporate mission planning and crew tasks based on a Mechjeb-KOS hybrid. You make a list of tasks/commands, and Kerbals can execute these tasks. (On command, and you'll be able to issue new unplanned ones, but you'll miss the 'I trained for that' bonus).

Kerbal performance will be based on simplyfied Mechjeb mechanics, perhaps with added noise in the PID controller based on Stupidity and experience levels.

Edited by OrtwinS
added bits

Just to grab the three main things I use mods for...

resource management and grabbing (steal Kethane, and extraplanetary launch)

communications (steal MapSat, and remote tech mods)

certain parts (NU 1/2 parts, MultiWheels/BobCat wheel systems, about 1/2 of KW-Nova-B9)

then for those lazy programmers to do during lunch breaks and when they think they are allowed to sleep KerbCam (and any other camera mods).

Basically all updates from .23 to .30 would be getting the parts list fleshed out and intergrated to tech tree, give tools to the players for more activity after figuring out orbits and docking.

Alacrity

There was something used in a game called Spore. Although the game was disappointing, it did have a really cool idea. It would integrate stuff that other people had made into your game, like different species and such.

I think it would be interesting if people could connect there KSP program to a server, which can download progress of other peoples KSP careers, if you ever had inter systems, it would be cool to have a giant telescope and see people building stuff in another system, while your building your own stuff.

Maybe even opt in for a joint career option, this way u could play offline, then it would just upload your progress when u quit or something, download progress of the other person, so wouldn't have to be in real time. You could have maybe other peoples degree or stuff found on moons on occasion. Or you could rescue another person kerbal.

I would change the crew management to actually be worth some thing

Each kerbal would have a modifier for example: Jebediah Kerman+3 controllability

And Scott Kerman+10 fuel effiency and stuff like that so you actually had to plan out your crew.

I'd also make it toggle able so you don't have to have it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.