Krag's Planet Factory - New Planets

Mr Shifty

If you match speeds with the surface, you end up going fast enough that you can't actually encounter it.

So the centrifugal force is even larger than the gravity down there? Wow that means we need:

1. some engine pushing down the lander while maintaining zero horizontal velocity in surface mode.

2. eject some KAS grapples down towards the surface and pull the lander down... seems like it's quite hard... but an interesting challenge.

EDIT: Ah, actually the first step can be skipped. we just orbit around the body, the orbit velocity will be quite smaller than the surface velocity, so once we eject grapples down to the surface, we will be pulled by the surface and after some maneuvers to avoid being over-pulled by the surface, we can stay straight above the place where the grapple hit the ground, then we just gradually retract the cable and get down there.

To lift-off from that planet will be more interesting, we don't need any engine, just release the grapple and we are good to go. :D

Edited by HoneyFox

Checking out a few of the new Planets from "Planet Factory"

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Copying over what I said on the reddit thread:

Full stream (Over 4 hours) if anyone wants to skim over it or watch: http://www.twitch.tv/ksptv/b/477107633

The Mission (as chosen by the viewers) was to visit Inaccessable, but after doing so we still had a large amount of fuel remaining so we detoured by Ascension as well. Could have hit 1 more target even, but it was getting late so the remaining fuel was used to return Jeb back to the KSC Helipad.

Even with a couple glitches still (don't Hyperedit with the mod installed) I cannot tell you how excited I am too have this be out. I strongly feel community created planets & other recent projects (such as re-scaled Kerbin & the Multiplayer mod) are the future of KSP for the hardcore crowd. And the future is looking brighter by the day! :D

The entire mission was 100% stock parts (used Engineer in VAB only for building), no quick-loads were made either. So much fun!

Doesn't appear to work on my Linux install; the culprit appears to be the use of '\' instead of '/' as separators for resolving all asset paths for the mod. If someone else got it to run without any problems on Linux, then feel free to correct me.

Edited by rifter

For those who are interested, I've put together a config for clouds for Erin and Sentar in the Clouds and City Lights mod.

CLOUD_LAYER
{
body = Sentar
radius = 1.008
main_texture
{
file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/jool1
offset
{
x = 0
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = .000005
y = 0
}
scale
{
x = 1
y = 1
}
}
detail_texture
{
file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/detail1
offset
{
x = 0
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = .000005
y = 0
}
scale
{
x = 1000
y = 1000
}
}
color
{
r = 0.592
g = 0.741
b = 0.922
}
}

CLOUD_LAYER
{
body = Sentar
radius = 1.013
main_texture
{
file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/joolLayers1
offset
{
x = 0
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = .000065
y = 0
}
scale
{
x = 1
y = 1
}
}
detail_texture
{
offset
{
x = .25
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = .000065
y = 0
}
scale
{
x = 1000
y = 1000
}
}
color
{
r = 0.592
g = 0.741
b = 0.922
}
}

CLOUD_LAYER
{
body = Sentar
radius = 1.018
main_texture
{
file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/joolLayers2
offset
{
x = 0
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = .00002
y = 0
}
scale
{
x = 1
y = 1
}
}
detail_texture
{
offset
{
x = .25
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = .00002
y = 0
}
scale
{
x = 1000
y = 1000
}
}
color
{
r = 0.592
g = 0.741
b = 0.922
}
}

CLOUD_LAYER
{
body = Erin
radius = 1.015
main_texture
{
file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/eve1
offset
{
x = 0
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = .00001
y = 0
}
scale
{
x = 1
y = 1
}
}
detail_texture
{
file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/detaileve1
offset
{
x = 0
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = .00001
y = 0
}
scale
{
x = 100
y = 100
}
}
color
{
r = 0.669
g = 0.741
b = 0.673
}
}

CLOUD_LAYER
{
body = Erin
radius = 1.011
main_texture
{
file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/eve1
offset
{
x = 0
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = .00004
y = 0
}
scale
{
x = 1
y = 1
}
}
detail_texture
{
offset
{
x = 0
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = .00001
y = 0
}
scale
{
x = 100
y = 100
}
}
color
{
r = 0.669
g = 0.741
b = 0.673
}
}

Anyone, how to create new planet? Is this possible?

It's possible, but not with this mod as it currently is. I've been working on a mod that should allow anyone to make their own custom planets and moons completely from scratch (which is clearly not the case here - all of Krag's new planets and moons are modified versions of existing bodies in the Kerbol system), but it's not so far along in development.

It's possible, but not with this mod as it currently is. I've been working on a mod that should allow anyone to make their own custom planets and moons completely from scratch (which is clearly not the case here - all of Krag's new planets and moons are modified versions of existing bodies in the Kerbol system), but it's not so far along in development.

you are doing it with this mod, right? Or on someone another?

you are doing it with this mod, right? Or on someone another?

No. I am not using this mod, and I'm not associated with Kragrathea. It's my own mod I have been working on when I've had the time on and off since 0.21.

No. I am not using this mod, and I'm not associated with Kragrathea. It's my own mod I have been working on when I've had the time on and off since 0.21.

wow. It's cool. and how is the progress? do you have WIP thread of it?

There are .bin files that contain the meshes. Not sure what you mean by modified versions of existing bodies. One planet has a large volcano on it too.

wow. It's cool. and how is the progress? do you have WIP thread of it?

I don't have much time to work on it right now as I'm at university. No WIP thread yet, but there probably will be one in a little under a month when I have the time to resume work on this.

There are .bin files that contain the meshes. Not sure what you mean by modified versions of existing bodies. One planet has a large volcano on it too.

The binary files are for the scaled space meshes - the simplified meshes that you see from high orbit. The actual body instances with their terrain generation configurations (used for higher detail near the surface) and other features are cloned directly from existing planets/moons. They then have their properties altered to come up with new terrain and new texturing for the new bodies. There are particular limitations in this approach. Anyway, this is Mr Shifty and Kragrathea's thread, so I don't want to get into the details and derail the thread, but as an example, Sentar is a modified version of Jool.

I don't have much time to work on it right now as I'm at university. No WIP thread yet, but there probably will be one in a little under a month when I have the time to resume work on this.

The binary files are for the scaled space meshes - the simplified meshes that you see from high orbit. The actual body instances with their terrain generation configurations (used for higher detail near the surface) and other features are cloned directly from existing planets/moons. They then have their properties altered to come up with new terrain and new texturing for the new bodies. There are particular limitations in this approach. Anyway, this is Mr Shifty and Kragrathea's thread, so I don't want to get into the details and derail the thread, but as an example, Sentar is a modified version of Jool.

Ah scaled mesh. Makes sense. No worries on derailment. I'm ending conversation about that now. Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve.