Need to upgrade pc

Stealth2668

So I've got an old computer (about 95 Y/O in human years) and I need to replace it. However I've got other things to pay so I can't get a whole one right off the bat. I've got a GTX 460, Phenom II X4 @ 3Ghz and 4 GB ram.

I'm a total noob at pc building so feel free to tell me if there's a better option.

My plan is to get a new mobo:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130693 [newegg.ca]

and new CPU first:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899 [newegg.ca]

... and put in my old parts (corsair 750 psu, the 460, my old HDD etc.). Now I know the GPU and RAM will be very outdated and will hold me back but there's not much I can do till I work again in the summer. When I have the money I will get new RAM and a new GPU.

What I'm wondering is; Does this Mobo have "good" expandability and is this going to be compatible with new hardware coming out in the next couple of years. I don't know much about PC building but from what I gather, Haswell (intel 4th gen) has a new chipset from the 2nd and 3rd gen (Sandy and Ivy bridge respectively) So I'm assuming since this mobo is new, I should be good for a while but want to get advice from gamers. I know KSP is heavy on a CPU and you need good single core performance, so as far as I5's go, would this be the best one? (i7's are a bit much, and this one can be over clocked.)

Also, will it be a simple "transfer everything and go? I will be using the same HDD so will windows and all my stuff just be there when I plug it in? No need to install anything to make it work with a new mobo?

You never watch the Activity stream? Most posts are in here...

Also, I don't upgrade that often but I find myself having to upgrade the mainboard with every CPU update anyway, so having a board that's going to last for the future has never really been a concern.

Memory can usually be reused but as you'll find, slow RAM can hold back a system, but so can a slow hard drive.

The biggest change will be that graphics card, most games need a powerful GPU these days and that's where you'll get the biggest performance increase.

Edited by sal_vager

Ya, I've got slow RAM. It's 1333 (Mhz?) I'll be getting 1600 when I get around to buying more (8GB as well). However, since my mobo is old, IDK if it can support new stuff, so I wanna try and change that out first, which means I need a new cpu to go with it. After that I wanna save up for other stuff. My pc is also pretty sluggish overall which might be improved by a new cpu. It's either a new cpu + mobo OR a new GPU but I think my current cpu will bottleneck a high end GPU.

If you are replacing the whole thing over time then yeah, you will need to start somewhere, not sure if you can get something like this on newegg but some places offer upgrade bundles, where several parts are matched up and you just put it in your existing case.

Something like these: http://www.novatech.co.uk/motherboardbundles/all/

My laptop has almost the same specs as your current setup...I wish i didnt get a laptop! But my gtx460m is still holding up pretty well.

From what I've read (i havent read much about computing in a while) Higher speed ram makes very little real world difference.

If its gaming and soley gaming then clock speed is more important than a bajillion CPU Cores. a higher speed i5 dual core for example will outstrip a lower clocked quad i7 if you are gaming (Like my current laptop)

GPU wise, a gtx660 will be a decent upgrade and they are becoming a half decent price these days.

However what are you planning to play? Are you a crazeh hardcore gamer? or are you like me and just want games to look sorta good and run well. Have you thought about overclocking your current 460card? I almost doubled the clock speed in my laptops gpu (450 to 800mhz!) and it made a massive difference.

If i was in your position i would keep your cpu and spend all your money on a new graphics card and maybe some ram (if your hell bent on more ram). or another option (if your current board supports SLI) is to just buy another 460 (they must be cheap by now) a new psu and run two? Depending on what phenom you have atm you can overclock it to get some extra speed from it (if its the 940 you can get 3.5ghz quite happily) My current i7 (bottom of the range) is retard slow but I run games fine all day long, including ksp.

Edited by vetrox