KSPMM Reloaded - Beta #2 - Functioning Modpacks!

KSPMM Reloaded

PGxqHvB.png

Original thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/13155-Win-With-Auto-Updater%21-Kerbal-Space-Program-Mod-Manager

There is a post down below detailing the need for change. Go ahead and download the beta.

Download Beta #2

Where to go for issues, suggestions and bug reports: https://github.com/Norway174/KSPMM-Reloaded/issues

Don't expect much features (or just much, for that matter) from this, as it's still an alpha beta.

Planned features (and dev ramblings)

To-do list if you are lazy:

Program Auto-Updates

Mod Updates

Mod Packaging Toolkit for Modders

Modpacks

Team:

ROFLCopter64bit

Norway174

(and other people if I remember, maybe)

Source: https://github.com/Norway174/KSPMM-Reloaded (Included in download)

License: LGPL

Credits:

famfamfam Silk Icons

Ionic.Zip.dll - DotNetZip

Edited by ROFLCopter64bit
Beta #2 - 6/4/14

Could you please summarize the reasons why you move forward from regular KSPMM, and what the differences are? I've read the planned features list but as I'm not a KSPMM user right now, it's difficult to perceive what's new. I always wanted to used KSPMM but got crashes on both my machines, so I gave up some time ago and remained frustrated, this alpha is some sort of hope for me!

Edited by Korb Biakustra

Could you please summarize the reasons why you move forward from regular KSPMM, and what the differences are? I've read the planned features list but as I'm not a KSPMM user right now, it's difficult to perceive what's new. I always wanted to used KSPMM but got crashes on both my machines, so I gave up some time ago and remained frustrated, this alpha is some sort of hope for me!

Alrighty, lets put the team's thoughts into one post.

Once upon a time, a programmer named ROFLCopter64bit wanted to make KSPMM the greatest mod manager of them all.

But, as with any good story, a problem plagued their path. Bugs. Bugs everywhere.

Our protagonist had great ideas for this application, but the way the wizard Norway174 had conjured up this program made adding new features difficult beyond belief, plus the bugs. So many bugs.

And, this is where ROFLCopter64bit teamed up with Norway174 to create a new, addition-friendly program, and blah blah blah.

Any questions?

I would also like to add, this program will be much more focused on the social aspect. Connectivity. Especially with SpacePort, for downloading & installing mods. Because installing mods in KSP is easy as a breeze now.

And funny how you thought of me as a Wizard. :P

Also, by the way, in case anyone is wondering, KSPMM stands for "Kerbal Space Program Mod Manager".

I would also like to add, this program will be much more focused on the social aspect. Connectivity. Especially with SpacePort, for downloading & installing mods. Because installing mods in KSP is easy as a breeze now.

And funny how you thought of me as a Wizard. :P

Also, by the way, in case anyone is wondering, KSPMM stands for "Kerbal Space Program Mod Manager".

So. Should I delete KSPMM now or wait till you iron out the bugs for this baby?

Also. What do you think about this? http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/ksp-mod-admin/

Edited by Durabys

So. Should I delete KSPMM now or wait till you iron out the bugs for this baby?

Also. What do you think about this? http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/ksp-mod-admin/

With the amount of bugs in KSPMM working together to actually break it, this is the only one that works. Delete it.

At one point, we were looking at asking MacTee if he wanted to merge his application with ours. We eventually dismissed it along the lines of because KSPMM had too many bugs (Excuse me if I can't grammar, I had a late night), and that MacTee didn't have much, if not nothing, to gain from this. So, we created a new mod manager with it based on addition-friendlyness (You can even make plugins for it, I'll add that feature if enough people give interest). If we get enough features into this, we might consider making a proposal. Ignoring the possibility that programming language is a problem, as we use VB.Net and he uses C#.

With the amount of bugs in KSPMM working together to actually break it, this is the only one that works. Delete it.

At one point, we were looking at asking MacTee if he wanted to merge his application with ours. We eventually dismissed it along the lines of because KSPMM had too many bugs (Excuse me if I can't grammar, I had a late night), and that MacTee didn't have much, if not nothing, to gain from this. So, we created a new mod manager with it based on addition-friendlyness (You can even make plugins for it, I'll add that feature if enough people give interest). If we get enough features into this, we might consider making a proposal. Ignoring the possibility that programming language is a problem, as we use VB.Net and he uses C#.

And is your or his mod manager better? Could I use both at the same time?

PS: How do you delete the old KSOMM?

PS: How do you delete the old KSOMM?

Deleting the KPSMM.exe will remove the application.

You can also delete the --MODS-- folder if you don't want it anymore.

And if you really are paranoid, there are some Registry entries you can delete as well.

But as I'm on Win8, and I can't seem to find the KSPMM entry, only the filetype entry. I can't write a detailed guide on how to find all the Registry entires now.

However, if you search for KSPMM, you should find them. But be careful, registry is a very dangerous place if you don't know what you're doing. And I don't recommend going there.

I'd say it would just be better to leave it as it. It won't affect your computer is any way whatsoever.

And I don't think any of us can really comment on who's mod manager is better. I think when it really comes down to it, it's all just about personal preferences.

And KSPMM wasn't that buggy, was it? :sticktongue:

Deleting the KPSMM.exe will remove the application.

You can also delete the --MODS-- folder if you don't want it anymore.

And if you really are paranoid, there are some Registry entries you can delete as well.

But as I'm on Win8, and I can't seem to find the KSPMM entry, only the filetype entry. I can't write a detailed guide on how to find all the Registry entires now.

However, if you search for KSPMM, you should find them. But be careful, registry is a very dangerous place if you don't know what you're doing. And I don't recommend going there.

I'd say it would just be better to leave it as it. It won't affect your computer is any way whatsoever.

And I don't think any of us can really comment on who's mod manager is better. I think when it really comes down to it, it's all just about personal preferences.

I am just wary of thing with "ALPHA version" in the name.

Are those registry entries dangerous for the future of my machine?

I am just wary of thing with "ALPHA version" in the name.

Are those registry entries dangerous for the future of my machine?

Alpha just means that it's prone to crashing, and doesn't have much features. It's not dangerous to your system in any way.

The registry entries that the old KSPMM put in only affected .kspmm files. If you leave in the registry entries, all that happens is that whenever you try to open a .kspmm file, it'll go to "Open with..." instead. Nothing dangerous at all.

Remember the bug where whenever you tried to apply the mods, KSPMM froze at "Creating Virtual KSP folder..."? That kinda defeated the purpose of it.

Alpha just means that it's prone to crashing, and doesn't have much features. It's not dangerous to your system in any way.

The registry entries that the old KSPMM put in only affected .kspmm files. If you leave in the registry entries, all that happens is that whenever you try to open a .kspmm file, it'll go to "Open with..." instead. Nothing dangerous at all.

..snippet..

Has it more features then the previous version of the manager?

Edited by Durabys

If I could humble make a suggestion, is it possible for you to add a projected RAM allocated field? Or better still, that and a column showing how big each mods footprint is? Knowing how close your are to hitting the ceiling (for windows users anyway) would be a huge help.

If I could humble make a suggestion, is it possible for you to add a projected RAM allocated field? Or better still, that and a column showing how big each mods footprint is? Knowing how close your are to hitting the ceiling (for windows users anyway) would be a huge help.

I'm not sure on how to do this (if you could point somewhere to approximate this, please do), but a general idea for an absolute minimum would be the size of the folder. I could put in a minimum RAM usage for the new "Modding" tab (which is coming along nicely) which just uses the size of the uncompressed folder.

I've tried doing that on my own by examining the GameData folder (which is sitting at 1.21GB). Squad takes just more than half of that and when I'm running KSP I'm right at 2.8GB in RAM. I usually see it crash at 3.4GB. Does Squad let you guys know what the upper limit is for RAM usage or is that a Unity thing? It would be as simple as knowing what a stock install uses in RAM, less what the maximum 32bit Unity allows, which would equal the maximum allowable amount of memory left over for mods (minus say 10-15% for a buffer). In the manager you flag the last mod installed that exceeded that limit by changing the font to bold red or something.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.