KSPMM Reloaded - Beta #2 - Functioning Modpacks!

I've tried doing that on my own by examining the GameData folder (which is sitting at 1.21GB). Squad takes just more than half of that and when I'm running KSP I'm right at 2.8GB in RAM. I usually see it crash at 3.4GB. Does Squad let you guys know what the upper limit is for RAM usage or is that a Unity thing? It would be as simple as knowing what a stock install uses in RAM, less what the maximum 32bit Unity allows, which would equal the maximum allowable amount of memory left over for mods (minus say 10-15% for a buffer). In the manager you flag the last mod installed that exceeded that limit by changing the font to bold red or something.

The 3.4GB thing is Unity only, since it's a 32 bit application (32 bit applications have a RAM usage ceiling of 3.4GB). Could you try and move the Squad folder somewhere else (Don't delete it) and try and run KSP? If it works it, the amount of RAM it uses should be the base RAM usage.

The 3.4GB thing is Unity only, since it's a 32 bit application (32 bit applications have a RAM usage ceiling of 3.4GB). Could you try and move the Squad folder somewhere else (Don't delete it) and try and run KSP? If it works it, the amount of RAM it uses should be the base RAM usage.

I'm at work presently but will check it out as soon as I get home.

KSP, less the GameData folder takes up approximately 2 GB in RAM.

So the amount of RAM it uses is directly related to how much HDD space it uses. Thanks! But I might need more tests done, like how much RAM is used at half/quater res (It seems obvious, but it might not be 1/2 or 1/4 usage).

So the amount of RAM it uses is directly related to how much HDD space it uses. Thanks! But I might need more tests done, like how much RAM is used at half/quater res (It seems obvious, but it might not be 1/2 or 1/4 usage).

Well, I don't know about that. From what I can see, my installation of KSP takes up exactly 2GB on the HDD of which 528mb are my mods. Just over 700mb belongs to Squads parts and stuff. I misspoke earlier, when I'm running KSP, with mods, I'm at 3.1gb. Some sort of table creation and data propagation is taking place when KSP boots up, expanding it's footprint beyond it's static HDD size.

Tracking graphic settings will be a bit tricky. KSP does seem to cut the footprint when different settings are used but it is in relation to the number of parts loaded into memory (at least that's how it looks) So, if you're rocking a lot of high detail parts, lowering texture resolution has a corresponding and noticeable reduction in RAM. For example, I loaded up a fresh .21 KSP, booted it up and played with the texture settings. The impact was almost nil. My .22 install sees a noticeable reduction in memory when I do it (going from Full to Half nets a 600mb return). I believe a percentage can be derived from it, but I'll have to get back to you after some note taking on that.

And why exactly do you require 1) a login & 2) me to create an account?

As RolfCopter said, we don't.

We do have plans to add more social aspects of this program sometime in the near future.

Which will require an account to access.

The plans for these social modules can be found in our Google Doc's page in the OP.

Please note, those may not be our final plans. And we may change them anytime we see appropriate.

But we will greatly accept and consider feedback anytime.

Also, on a side note, I still have all the PayPal information of everyone who donated. You are not forgotten, and we still worship you. :wink:

Alright, sorry for lack of updating. Exams.

Exams, exams, exams.

I've almost finished exams, but I'm going on holiday right after I finish.

So I might be able to squeeze in some small projects, but not big ones. Big ones including KSPMMR.

So, unless Norway can get some work on this done, KSPMMR will be on hold for about 2 weeks. Sorry.

Is this a windows only app? or will you be compiling a Mac version?

Mono (a tool to compile .NET applications into other operating systems) is kind of hard to use at the moment, as it requires normally massive amounts of code to be changed. But, that doesn't mean a lite version couldn't be developed for Mac and Linux (Maybe the whole program if some vital code doesn't need to be changed).

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, need to talk serious here. Working on this alone is getting harder and harder as I go on. This may be because this is too ambitious, or there is too much workload on me. I've been doing most of the program, while Norway174 has been helping in small bits when he can, as he is incredibly busy (You know, job stuff). Now, the only way for this project to continue is in my 2-tier plan:

1. Complete User Feedback, Designs and Suggestions - You heard us right. We want you to post right below this anything you want this program to be. It can be anything from small suggestions to completely detailed designs. All that matters is we don't want to make it our way, we want to make it your way.

2. HELP wanted - This one might be a little bit more needy, but important nonetheless. If you can print "Hello World" in a .NET programming language, you can help. No matter how much or how little work you provide, we will recognize you for your efforts. PM me if you want to help out.

There may be a third tier, but only if it is plausible.

Must say, up to now I never found the need to use a mod manager with KSP. I have some knowledge about very simple mod managers with other games, and those games really need something or no mod would work. But with KSP, up to now I just have to put the mod directory within gamedata and that's all.

However, that may easily change if I consider mod dependencies. The only required plugin up to now is modulemanager, so it is eay enough to keep updated. Another one becoming increasingly useful is the toolbar plugin by Blizzy78. But already a few mods are actually based on other mods: Realism Overhaul by Nathankell probably the most known, but I could name another 3-4.

Therefore, one needed feature out of your Kerbal mod manager would be to check dependencies, applying a sort of "configuration control" with mods.

If you feel really serious, such "configuration control" may be extended to the mod versions in respect to KSP, I mean to check what mods can be considered compatible with the stock KSP version installed.

Now we need designs. Even sketches made in MS Paint will do.

What kind of designs are you thinking about? If you mean like software designs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_design), it is a very broad subject. Something like software modeling, perhaps (as done e.g. with UML, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Modeling_Language) ?

What kind of designs are you thinking about? If you mean like software designs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_design), it is a very broad subject. Something like software modeling, perhaps (as done e.g. with UML, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Modeling_Language) ?

Designs as in what the user will see when they use the program (AKA frontend).

There are a few things I find ... less than optimal. Any mod manager should have:

1) Drag/drop functionality. Currently, every mod has to be individual loaded via the 'add mod' button. Example: I maintain all my mods in a d/l folder (E:\VideoGames\KerbalSpaceProgram\Mods). KSP.exe is here: C:\Games\KerbalSpaceProgram. I should be able to drag from E to KSPMM and have the mod added to C.

2) Mods should retain the zip-package name when imported. Ex: B9-Aerospace-Pack-R4-0c.zip load as 'GameData, Ships, Source, Textures_Reduced changelog.txt, readme.txt' It should all stay bundled under B9-Aerospace-Pack-R4-0c.

3) Mod names should be customizable. Ex: I should be able to change B9-Aerospace-Pack-R4-0c to B9 Aerospace Pack R4.0c

4) Mods should remain persistent in the mod manager.

There are a few things I find ... less than optimal. Any mod manager should have:

1) Drag/drop functionality. Currently, every mod has to be individual loaded via the 'add mod' button. Example: I maintain all my mods in a d/l folder (E:\VideoGames\KerbalSpaceProgram\Mods). KSP.exe is here: C:\Games\KerbalSpaceProgram. I should be able to drag from E to KSPMM and have the mod added to C.

2) Mods should retain the zip-package name when imported. Ex: B9-Aerospace-Pack-R4-0c.zip load as 'GameData, Ships, Source, Textures_Reduced changelog.txt, readme.txt' It should all stay bundled under B9-Aerospace-Pack-R4-0c.

3) Mod names should be customizable. Ex: I should be able to change B9-Aerospace-Pack-R4-0c to B9 Aerospace Pack R4.0c

4) Mods should remain persistent in the mod manager.

If you're quoting how KSPMM-R is now, then you're right, it does kinda suck. But, I plan to add it to my new T3R3 initiative, which involves redoing all my past applications (not limited to KSP) to make updates/new products easier to produce. After that, there will be no more problems to finish this.

• 2 weeks later...

1 Drag to select custom amount of mods, then manage them with a simple right-click; de-activate, remove, make active,

create new pack as... (see 4 and 4.5), etc. Selecting multiple mods: A simple shift + left-click would work as well

2 Will the front-end come in black/greyish for us light sensitive ppl?

3 Copy a link from say, spaceport and then paste it in a "add manually textbox" (also ability to add multiple links at the same time separeted with an empty space " "

(ex: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/exampel_1 http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/exampel_2/)

4 Ability to make packs of mods. and then share them to other people with an auto-generated code. This code contains what the launcher needs to understand which mods it is, (preferably the code would also contain download links to the mods (works with spaceport only?)

4.5 Also save presets of numberous packs. So one day i may wanna play with realism, or sometimes i only wanna play with graphical enhancements. And with my own-made presets i can easily swap between these.

5 Filtering (search) the visibility for mods in the mods list (example: filter options could be; active mods, inactive mods, up-to-date(if possible), contains specific characters, added xx days ago, file size, updated since (xx days), etc)

6 Sort by size, date, active, inactive, name. In mod list.

7 Turn on/off auto update for specific, or all mods

Edited by provet

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.