Tutorial: Unity and Part Tools Setup + Model/Texture Import, Setup and Export to KSP

Tiberion

All of the old videos on doing this seem to be broken or out of date, so I decided to give it a try. This is the 1st time I've really narrated a video, so be kind :)

It's just the basics of getting things setup in a fresh project, getting some assets inserted into the project and setup, and then exported into the .mu format (with textures) so you can add them to KSP. Does not include any config file editing because there are better sources for that.

Hope you like it :)

Edit: if you need some guidance on setting up your part.cfg file, I wrote a short tutorial with some screenshots here: Link

Edited by Tiberion

Part Tools for 0.20 (which works in 21 and 22 as well) and Unity 4.2. But the UI in Unity 4.0 is the same so it should work there too.

Probably the biggest difference from older versions of Part tools (which you migth see in other tutorials) is the dialog you see when added part names and paths on the PartTools component you add to GameObjects; you have to set a path to the GameData folder. It can be in your KSP directory so the parts are output directly, ready to be loaded (If you have the config done anyway) or it can be elsewhere, like in the video.

Are you having trouble? If you tell me which step is causing issues maybe I can help you.

• 1 month later...

Tiberion,

Great Video, I have been contemplating putting together a WIKI for a "One Stop Shop" on all thing KSP modding related as it seems like you mentioned most of the tutorials are out of date or just broken. I'm hopping to start it soon and have as many of the premium modders for KSP all submit there updated videos and tutorials on there ...everything from Blender modeling, Unity, Gimp, Making animations...exporting them to unity and getting them into game. Including engine emissives, creating lights, hatches and ladders and the process of setting up the tags and triggers in unity for these objects. It seems all this data and then some would be much more useful to the newer modders if it were all in one place. Took me three days just to finally find the PROPER tutorial on colliders and triggers for hatches and ladders and much trial and error before finding it. And we really need some good animation, particle system and lighting tutorials. There are some good tutorials for some of these for-mentioned processes, but you may spend as much time searching for them as you do making your mod.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys. I am maintaining the OPT Spaceplane mod and i would like to ask how to import the mod into unity. I dont have access to any of the blender files etc, all i have is what K.Yeon has publicly released. Is there a way for me to do this?

Edited by stali79

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:21 AM, stali79 said:

Hi guys. I am maintaining the OPT Spaceplane mod and i would like to ask how to import the mod into unity. I dont have access to any of the blender files etc, all i have is what K.Yeon has publicly released. Is there a way for me to do this?

There's a mod floating around here that allows you to load a part mod into Blender, complete with 3d model and textures and UVs. I think Taniwha made it? Anyway, I posted this info to the main OPT thread and someone replied with a link to the Blender mod, shouldn't be too hard to find.

On 6/4/2016 at 9:21 AM, stali79 said:

I know you probably already found it, but here's a link incase any one else is wondering:

Blender .mu Import/Export Tool

Yeah i think i got that. I was able to import the .mu into blender then export it as a .fbx to import into unity but suddenly when i write the part there is a cube appearing and i cant attach the part in ksp.

@stali79 In case you didnt know, and what I do, is before writing the part in Unity, at the bottom of the Part Tools component (below the Write button), theres a checkbox for "Show materials"... I usually check that, and hit the "Compile" button... Double check to make sure everything is assigned a KSP shader... I also check thru the resulting list o make sure the collider(s) isnt (arent) in there anywhere...

Also, over in the Project window that shows your Assets & folders, I'll select the "Console" button... Then write the part... If there are any errors, or if the colliders are still assigned to a material, they'll show up in that window...

It sounds like you still have a collider assigned a Mesh Filter and/or a Mesh... Do you get a menu popup when you click on the part in the KSP editor?... If not, then yeah, it sounds like you have a collider not setup sorrectly in Unity.

After recently watching/reading many Blender/Unity tutorials for KSP, one of the better ones I found was by @Nifty255. He has a series of them, but this one might help you:

Edited by Stone Blue

30 minutes ago, stali79 said:

By menu popup you mean the lil info box for the part in the game? Will give your suggestions a go later today.

Yes... If you are in the VAB or SPH (the "editor"), if you right click on the part, do you get the menu popup?... Ive found out usually if nothing happens at all when you right click the part, its usally been a due to a collider issue.

ok I have made SOME progress woohoo. I ended up importing the .mu into blender, deleted the colliders and then exported to Unity. Once in unity I told it to generate a mesh collider, I also changed all of the 'coordinates' to bring the model to the centre (I THINK this is what is causing my current issue) Once I made sure everything was correct I did the things that @Stone Blue suggested and exported. I have the parts in the game buuuuuuut a slight issue in placement lol.

EDIT: seems I didn't reset ALL of the coordinates to 0, retrying now.

Edited by stali79

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.