[0.24] SafeChute v1.2.2

Red3Tango

Thanks for the info, testing was going good on my end too. Always good to hear its working from an outside source though hehe.

Surprised though, as looks like 0.23 really messed up some other mods pretty bad.

Edited by Red3Tango

• 1 month later...

There is one more feature i think would be good to implement in this, then I'd consider it complete.

Currently the plugin checks the deployment altitude of all attached parachutes and slows time a certain height before each of these (Which is great). The only issue I have, which really is a very minor thing, is timing. With the current implementation of the plugin the delay between time slowing and parachute deployment grows as the vessel moves slower and slower, as it takes longer to fall from the safety height to the deployment height. I think it would be awesome (and quite simple) to calculate the margin based on the speed of the vessel, such that the delay was constant.

Anyway even without that, great plugin, good work :)

@Trueborn:

Thanks for the permission, I was thinking of doing that, I attempted to look at the Alarm Clock code but that was "way above my pay-grade" lol

@stupid_chris:

If I cannot figure it out on my own, I will definitely take you up on that offer!

So I am looking into adding support for RealChute, but havent been able to do any rigorous testing with that mod yet.

I have yet to have my ship break apart when RealChute's open, is this even a problem?

Or is having it disable timewarp near the ground sufficient? I'm just wondering what people are looking from SafeChute that are using RealChute.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Red3Tango

Red3Tango, Hi. Can you help me debug reason why SafeChute isn't working? Logs show that dll loads ok, but actual time warp slowing isn happening. I have quite a bunch of mods installed, including RealChute, but time isn't slowing even with stock chute. Maybe you dll with verbose logging? Thanks in advance :)

So I am looking into adding support for RealChute, but havent been able to do any rigorous testing with that mod yet.

I have yet to have my ship break apart when RealChute's open, is this even a problem?

Or is having it disable timewarp near the ground sufficient? I'm just wondering what people are looking from SafeChute that are using RealChute.

Thanks in advance!

What you could want to do is to deactivate time warp once the parachute is fully deployed. They don't usually break on deployment, but the calculations can be borked if they are deployed and on physical time warp, which can lead to accidents (by that I mean a massive spin out of control)

@Red3Tango, thanks. I managed to understand what was happening. With RealChute installed, even stock chute registers as RealChute (stock count reported as 0, de warp offset is default 100). So, it looks like I'll have to wait till you implement RealChute support :)

@Net-burst, It should still work with the stock chutes, unless there is another Module Manager config you are using for them? I have RealChute, SafeChute, and ModuleManager installed for my test build and stock chutes still display correctly. If you can figure out what would be modifying them, I would love to know, to make sure everything works properly with that as well.

Edited by Red3Tango

@Net-burst, It should still work with the stock chutes, unless there is another Module Manager config you are using for them? I have RealChute, SafeChute, and ModuleManager installed for my test build and stock chutes still display correctly. If you can figure out what would be modifying them, I would love to know, to make sure everything works properly with that as well.

I managed to solve it. I installed optional ModuleManager configs, that were bundled with RealChute. After I removed them, all went back to normal. Thanks for pointing in right direction.

I have uploaded another Dev Build, this one REQUIRES that RealChute be already installed (it is not packed or soft-linked yet)!

You will notice a small UI display on the screen with some debug data (this can be ignored mainly). I would like if some people could test it out more in-depth, and report any problems you may have before I clean up the code and release it as an update.

Again thanks to everyone that is helping me improve this mod!

http://genesisrage.net/ksp/SafeChute_dev2.zip

Version 1.2 is now uploaded, please uninstall older version if you have v1.1 or earlier.

This update adds functionality when using the RealChute Parachute Systems mod!

Thanks to stupid_chris for helping me with the code to dynamically link plugins!

=== CHANGE LOG ===

v1.2

[Changed] - Altitude buffer, now turns down timewarp based on state

[Added] - Compatibility for Real Chute mod (optional)

NOTE: uninstall first if version is v1.1 or earlier

Edited by Red3Tango

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting a NullReferenceException from SafeChute when the game loads up. Seems to happen just after TextureReplacer loads and just before ModuleManager loads. Maybe there should be a check that SafeChute isn't loading in non-flight related game scenes? Or at least catch the exception. Cheers, essentially mod idea.

[TextureReplacer] Detected TextureCompressor, disabling texture compression

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

[B]NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at FlightGlobals.get_ActiveVessel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at GenesisRage.SafeChuteModule.ListChutes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at GenesisRage.SafeChuteModule.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
(Filename: Line: -1)
[/B]
FF: adding toolbar buttons
(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

[ModuleManager] Processing Node Switch.

I get these errors when switching scenes:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

And this code before the first scene:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at FlightGlobals.get_ActiveVessel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Maybe you should check that there's a vessel or something before starting the plugin.

Thank you for your plugin :-)

@Llorx: Are you using the latest version? There was some fixes for null reference errors.

UPDATE: I found the problem, merged the wrong debug code into release, it should now only run when in Flight mode.

Download link is updated, let me know if you find any more problems :)

I thought I got them all, but I will look into it nevertheless. Honestly though, other than the error line in the log there is no adverse effect with this error, because of the way Unity handles references of this nature.

Edited by Red3Tango

I certainly like how useful this mod is, but I'm no longer getting warp stopping effect after updating RealChute -- maybe stupid_chris has altered something again? :) I've also updated some other mods, but that's the one I can think of that would directly affect this.

Thanks for your help!

@Llorx: Are you using the latest version? There was some fixes for null reference errors.

UPDATE: I found the problem, merged the wrong debug code into release, it should now only run when in Flight mode.

Download link is updated, let me know if you find any more problems :)

I thought I got them all, but I will look into it nevertheless. Honestly though, other than the error line in the log there is no adverse effect with this error, because of the way Unity handles references of this nature.

Yay, thank you! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.