[0.24] SafeChute v1.2.2

Red3Tango

• 2 weeks later...

This mod is awesome and I don't want it to die, so I went ahead and updated it for 0.25 and got it sort-of working with RealChute again: https://github.com/henrybauer/SafeChute/releases/tag/v1.3.2

Source is here: https://github.com/henrybauer/SafeChute

License is the same (BSD).

Changelog:

v1.3.2

[Fixed] - update changelog and .version

v1.3a (unreleased)

[Fixed] - Removed DEBUG

v1.3 (unreleased)

[Added] - KSP-AVC version checking compatibility (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79745)

[Fixed] - Recompiled for 0.25

[Fixed] - Updated RealChute compatibility, however it stops warp on semi-deployment and near-ground, not deployment and near-ground like it should

I sent Red3Tango a PM.. if he's still around he can take my changes and re-release them; if not, I'll make a new thread.

Didn't the problem of breakages during high warp parachute deployment get fixed in 23.5?

I mean... it used to be a killer problem, but I don't recall experiencing it since they reworked the nodes.

Didn't the problem of breakages during high warp parachute deployment get fixed in 23.5?

I mean... it used to be a killer problem, but I don't recall experiencing it since they reworked the nodes.

You're right - I just tested (with and without FAR) and wasn't able to reproduce the main problem (parachutes opening at 4x would break your ship when they wouldn't in 1x).

However, there's other things SafeChute fixes:

• Landing on an engine at 4x will break the engine, but landing at 1x won't. Yes, yes, that's what landing legs are for, but sometimes the legs are forgotten/broken off/burned up.
  • Landing on wheels (like a rover) at 4x will break, but landing at 1x won't.
  • Landing on actual landing legs, but on a slope, will often tip over at 4x, but settle down correctly at 1x.
  • With RealChutes, they open slowly and so don't put as much stress on your ship.. but they seem to open in real-time (like solar panels do), not game time, so don't open correctly if you're descending at 4x. Without SafeChute, a few times I've had my main parachutes open at 700m, but they didn't expand fast enough and I slammed into the ground at 4x speed. Ouch. When SafeChute stops warp, there's enough time for the parachute to work.

So there's still use for the mod, although it may not be as required as before.

Dude, seriously, you're the best. This is such an essential mod for me because of how often I forget about slowing down. I was quite sad to see it start fading away, and then you pop up. So, I personally wanted to thank you for making my game even better!

And I was almost ready to forget this mod and sign it off. Thank you for taking the task! Is it possible for you to start a new thread and CONTINUE this mod officially?

Yep, I'll give Red3Tango a few days to reply to the private message first. If he's not around, or if he doesn't want to continue it, I'll start a new thread and put it up on KerbalStuff and Curse.

Dude, seriously, you're the best. This is such an essential mod for me because of how often I forget about slowing down. I was quite sad to see it start fading away, and then you pop up. So, I personally wanted to thank you for making my game even better!

You're welcome! I'm happy it's continued too. :)

Yep, I'll give Red3Tango a few days to reply to the private message first. If he's not around, or if he doesn't want to continue it, I'll start a new thread and put it up on KerbalStuff and Curse.

This ^ is a lifesaver! I believe I speak on behalf of the KSP community - THANK YOU!

hab136, I also believe you've mistakenly added an outdated version file to the 1.4 release that says it is the 1.3.2 version. AVC provides this information.

Whoops! Updated the ZIP file. You can redownload, or just edit the .version file.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.