Space Exploration Agency [pic hvy] - Fictional story of human space flight

SFJackBauer

UI-3 - First communications satellite to geostationary orbit

Mission Briefing

Primary goals

- Station CSAT-1 in a equatorial stationary orbit.

Secondary goals

- Further expand knowledge on remote control of orbital vehicles.

- Test photovoltaic arrays as the primary source of power in a satellite.

Payload

CSAT-1 satellite, 3.19t

sfKLkdq.png

Launcher

RL-3B

Summary

Space Exploration Agency prepares to mark a milestone in the history as the first stationary artificial satellite, CSAT-1, is being readied for launch at KSC. The satellite will be a critical asset in further exploration of Earth from space, serving as a telemetry and data orbital relay for future launches.

The satellite will be positioned approx. 37º east of KSC at 12h 33m after launch. This position will assure maximum coverage of future eastbound launches.

After launch the craft will complete one orbit at 200km for checks and tests of its components. It will ignite its transfer motor while overflying KSC, sending itself into an elliptic transfer orbit, which intersects the final orbit at two opportunities. In the second circularization window, the transfer motor will separate and retrorockets will send it into an Earth-bound path, to be destroyed upon entering the atmosphere. Meanwhile, the craft will ignite its injection motor 11h and 3m after the transfer burn, to adjust its orbit into a circular one, at exact 35,786km of altitude. It will then deploy its solar panels array and commence regular operations.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by SFJackBauer

Oh hey, one other thing you might like. Just before I left I edited some parts to realistic values (Solar panels based on Medieval Nerd's work)....

Thanks for these configs, it is much better than making an endless stack of batteries :) And the RTGs are much more sensible too.

Well, so many good AARs in such a short time! You guys make me feel very proud of playing the same game as yours. :)

Maybe I'm a bit late, but i've got a suggestion for the GTO sat: you can launch a satellite in a Tundra- or Molnjia-like orbit with a period of 6h (or 24h, if you're using the realism mod) and use it as a relay for sending the burn command to the proper geostationary satellite on the other side of the planet.

Thanks! I considered your suggestion, had never heard before of of the term "Molnjia orbit", thanks for this :) But I did want to solve this without two launches. In the end, the Hohmann would be more efficient with a good position in the 4th and 6th apogee pass, but I liked the challenge of computing the results for the one-tangent orbit. In the end it also gave a slight advantage since the separation between KSC and the sat will be a bit more than with the maximum achievable with the Hohmanns (20º).

I have everything pre-calculated in a spreadsheet since one of my goals is also learning orbital mechanics to the bone :)

Just a little problem for that ten ton lifter. I can't design rockets with these new mods for the life of me. It could be MJ though... what is your ap Jack?

EDIT: Never fear! The MOESCR is here! Been working on some real life inspired designs, been watching *some rocket launches and brushing up on LV design in rl. Been working on a 9-10 ton to LEO launcher with 9600dv with a dummy 11t payload on it, should be enough? Sorta based on Ariane 5 (Really Pretty 5) and after that, thinking of a Delta-IV type launcher, and maybe a 20t Angara-style asparagus launcher. If you don't mind *coughs* "cheating"

*a lot

Nice to hear! Yeah 9600 dv should be enough. Oh and asparagus reminds me to create another restriction - not discarding empty stages directly over KSC. A good guideline I guess is that the first stage should burn for at least a minute, this will give time to drop things at a safe distance.

Do continue, I quite enjoy your missions.

Thanks!

Well hey this is all theory, I can be entirely wrong and botch the mission - particularly if I can't get control of the satellite in time to perform the maneuvers. I'll perform the launch now and see how it goes .

LIVE UPDATE 1 - Phew, circularized low orbit with few seconds of losing contact with KSC. Amazed by how circular and low inclination it turned out, given that I flew with no MJ. Also with 300m/s left on upper stage :)

LIVE UPDATE 2 - Planned the two burns as maneuver nodes... surprisingly things look good!

Edited by SFJackBauer

UI-3 - First communications satellite to geostationary orbit

Mission Results

Success!

In an extraordinary feat of engineering, Space Exploration Agency has confirmed the deployment of the first permanent man-made, artificial satellite of Earth. The CSAT-1 will provide critical assistance to future missions in near-space.

UI-4 - Extend the array of geosat comm satellites

Mission Briefing

Primary goals:

- Deploy further three CSAT satellites in geostationary orbit.

Mission Results

Success!

SEA deployed further three CSAT satellites to the Earth orbit. The CSAT constellation gives SEA the ability to track and manage spacecraft located anywhere on Earth orbit.

The satellites are:

- CSAT-1 (Earth, GEO, 37º W)

- CSAT-2 (Earth, GEO, 51º E)

- CSAT-3 (Earth, GEO, 145º E)

- CSAT-4 (Earth, GEO, 125º W)

Jack, I'm really lazy... Could you give me your persistence file with the geo-sats? That parts that are in orbit, do they have any KW or AIES fuel tanks on them? Beacuse I deleted both to reduce their RAM footprint and free up space for stuff...

Cheers, CP

Have you been able to open the lifter I attached before? It contains the satellite, so if you can open that, you're good. I think I used two different RCS tanks from AIES.

Anyway here is the save: http://www./download/sqvzy6oqf6t22or/persistent.sfs

BTW I am adding another mod to the mod stable: the Flight Recorder mod. I hope to be able to create nifty graphs from this.

Edited by SFJackBauer

US-5 - Launch an Earth-mapping satellite in a highly-inclined polar orbit.

Mission Briefing

Primary goals

- Position EarthSAT-1 into a polar orbit.

Secondary goals

- Certify launch capability of the RL-1B lifter.

- Verify operation of Earth mapping equipment supplied by SCANsat Inc.

- Verify operation of the telemetry package.

Payload

EarthSAT-1 satellite, 430kg

1uN3EkK.png

Launcher

RL-1B, 36t

Bp7Qfi3.png

Summary

Under pressure for more scientific missions, SEA pressed forward its Earth-mapping project, using a modified RL-1 lifter for its requirement of a polar orbit. It will be the maiden flight of the RL-1B lifter.

Edited by SFJackBauer

US-5 - Launch an Earth-mapping satellite in a highly-inclined polar orbit.

Mission Results

Success!

Today the EarthSAT-1 was positioned in a polar orbit (437x435km, 85º) beginning its long-duration mission of mapping the Earth surface.

It also marked the first use of the CSAT tracking network, which provided engineers with vital information during the spacecraft flight to Earth orbit.

There were, however, two small incidents - the first, when the payload fairing didn't separated cleanly as expected, and the second, when the third stage engined failed to throttle down to limit the max-G load factor. The spacecraft seems to be in regular conditions, and technicians are working on fixing this for the next flights.

m3wuzD3.png

DbWpEWP.png

I1V12GH.png

Edited by SFJackBauer

US-6 - Establish an Earth and space weather monitoring program.

Mission Briefing

Primary goal

- Launch the MeteoSAT system into orbit, thus completing the satellite constellation needed for LEO exploration.

Secondary goals

- Test the concept of multiple payload deployment per launch.

Payload

MeteoSAT-1 e 2. Dedicated platforms to mapping of radiation belts around Earth, to monitor the Earth weather from space, and to monitor incoming Sun radiation.

HVrwr1N.png

Lifter

RL-3C, 170 tons, 4.5t to LEO

Mission Results

Success!

Yesterday the KSC saw the trusted RL-3 rocket engines roar one more time to deliver another payload to space. The MeteoSAT twins will perform monitoring of Earth's complex weather system, crucial to mission planning in regard of launch and recovery windows. Also the twins will help scientists to build a profile of the radiation present in Earth's near space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.