Will you press the button?

briansun1

• 3 months later...
Just now, TopHeavy11 said:

Eh. *Press* *squirt* OH! It was lemonade! AWESOME!

If you press the button you have 40% chance of being the richest man in the multi-verse, and a 60% chance of terminal cancer.

Even if I do get cancer, I'd probably get fame for it and get rich anyways. So yes, gotta live life. Not like I'm going to last long enough anyways.

Press the button to lose one sense but to have another sense enhanced 1000000000x of what it was. 

• 1 month later...

Well, it looks to me like I have a 90% chance of being omnipotent, which means I don't care if 200 ly of desolation surrounds me. I'm omnipotent. That leaves 10%, 90% of which surrounds me with desolation but doesn't grant me omnipotence. That makes a 9% chance of "everything sucks." So: Given that I am ten times more likely to be omnipotent than to be helplessly alone, and nine times more likely to be helplessly alone than for nothing to happen, I will push the button.

If you press this button, a dirt-cheap reactionless drive (and I mean really reactionless, none of that photon drive nonsense) will be discovered. However, it comes with all the terrible things that make reactionless drives so glorious and awkward, among them such cheery things as:
Complete disruption of several conservation laws
A sudden gain in plot devices
Violations of the causality-relativity-FTL triangle (you might be able to get three of the two)
And, my favorite, civilisation-killing relativistic weapons.

Of course, said reactionless drive might put man into the stars.
But is it really worth potential existential risks?

That button shall remain unpressed; I happen to like this universe, thank you very much.

I'll just leave this here...

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Warning-no button detected.

Press this button, and there's a 60% chance that KSP will advance to version 4.2.3 immediately. However, there's a 40% chance that all KSP games will immediately delete themselves and Squad will be unable to produce KSP ever again.

Nope, will not press that button.

Press this button, and there's a 50% chance in the next 5 years we'll make contact with a peaceful, advanced alien species who will help us go Interstellar, but also a 50% chance we'll instead make contact with a harsh, warlike, alien dictatorship who will invade Earth...

• 3 weeks later...

Insert benefits and risks here. Insert response here. Insert description here (optional.)

If you push the button, all bugs in KSP will be fixed, but you as a person and everyone you know who plays will never be able to play it again.

No. That's an awful button (nothing against Weird Al).

If you press this button, you will be able to know your location down to the nearest meter no matter where you are I the universe, but there is a 15% chance of the universe becoming a singularity instantly.

That's what GPS is for, not going to press it.

If you press this button, you have a 50% chance of winning a trillion dollars. However, you will not be allowed to spend the money on anything but charity, you will be allotted 100,000 a year for the rest of your life, so you won't have to have a job or anything, but the rest of that trillion dollars must be spent within 5 years on nothing but charity, saving lives, ending poverty, curing cancer, that sort of thing.

However, you also have a 50% chance of an immediate, painless death. No one else is affected in this case.

If you won't press the button....how much more likely would the trillion dollar scenario have to be before you'd be willing to press the button?

Edited by EliasDanger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.