[0.23.5] StretchySRB: A StretchyTanks Continuation v9 Final Pre-PP edition 3/21/14

NathanKell

Yeah but I have tanks with a larger width that im using, do you know what node gives you the ability to make it wider? I looked through the cfg file for the ki 7000 and there didnt seem to be any other tech requirements but basic rockets....

I'm running into an issue where liquid fuel only tanks contain 110 oxygen when spawned at the launchpad. This is annoying, because I'd really like to be able to make nice big fuel tanks as the bodies for my long-range drones. I'm suspecting it's adjusting the liquid fuel content on spawn properly, but it's not removing the oxygen for some unknown reason.

I'm running Linux, so that may be an issue.

The other mods I have installed that might involve fuel are:

Firesplitter (Required by B9)

Exurgent engineering (Required by B9)

ResGen (Required by B9)

Ship Manifest

Feature suggestion: tweak-able with text input boxes for base radius,tip radius and length, a bit annoying/fiddly having to drag while holding a key if you know the number you want

I definitely agree. Using both Tweakables and a separate GUI would be ideal. Integrating the GUI into the Toolbar Plugin would be even better.

Is there a way to change the minimum height for the stretchy tanks? And/or a way to change the default size for a specific tank, but not for all of them. I'm trying to make a stretchy decoupler for my RSS contraptions.

Oh cool, someone already posted one on that thread. I had always thought it was a spinoff, but its awesome that you guys are collaborating for a massive procedural parts pack. Happy to help with any development stuff if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

As always but ESPECIALLY this time it is vital you follow the installation instructions for both this (if you haven't switched to PP yet) and Real Fuels v5 when upgrading. Files have moved.

Changelog:

v9 =\/=

*Final pre-Procedural Parts release

*Moved RF tanks over to RF mod. Will no longer clutter partlist

*Deprecate non-superstretchy tanks (available to old craft but hidden in part list)

*Support RF v6

*Fix heatProduction for SRBs when using DRE

*Add Version Checker (Majiir / Ferram)

*Add "utilization" factor: essentially a hack to allow you to copy real rockets. Fat short tanks should have lower utilization; long tall tanks should have higher. Example values: Titan II lower stage: 0.87. Saturn V lower stage: 0.8. Titan II upper stage: 0.7. Atlas D through I: ~0.85. ***NOTE: you MUST rescale the tank slightly after changing utilization or the volume won't update. After that, you can scale it back.***

In combination with the latest RealFuels v5, tank volume errors on rescaling are fixed!

As always but ESPECIALLY this time it is vital you follow the installation instructions for both this (if you haven't switched to PP yet) and Real Fuels v5 when upgrading. Files have moved.

Changelog:

v9 =\/=

*Final pre-Procedural Parts release

*Moved RF tanks over to RF mod. Will no longer clutter partlist

*Deprecate non-superstretchy tanks (available to old craft but hidden in part list)

*Support RF v6

*Fix heatProduction for SRBs when using DRE

*Add Version Checker (Majiir / Ferram)

*Add "utilization" factor: essentially a hack to allow you to copy real rockets. Fat short tanks should have lower utilization; long tall tanks should have higher. Example values: Titan II lower stage: 0.87. Saturn V lower stage: 0.8. Titan II upper stage: 0.7. Atlas D through I: ~0.85. ***NOTE: you MUST rescale the tank slightly after changing utilization or the volume won't update. After that, you can scale it back.***

In combination with the latest RealFuels v5, tank volume errors on rescaling are fixed!

You mean Real FUles v5 I guess :P

Guys, sorry, but I didn't understand some things. First: have I to install StretchyTanks in order to use this?

And, how can I create a Stretchy fuel tank? I see no new part in the editor. (If there is a new part, would you be so kindly to take a screenshot of it in the editor?)

Thank you and sorry for my noobish question

Teobug: No, this supercedes StretchyTanks. Strechy parts look like white cylinders and should appear immediately following stock parts in the Propulsion tab.

No problem. :)

MAKC: not done at all! It's just that stretchy has a new name (PP) and a new lead coder (swamp_ig).

AndreyATGB: While I've contributed only very little (mostly chatting with swamp_ig about how to handle stuff, especially MFT/RF integration, and the source [this] which he rewrote for PP), I'm still invovled at least notionally.

And--it's not really just the natural evolution of this; it *is* this (but, err, evolved). We just changed the name. :)

Could you elaborate on this "utilization factor"? I've been making real-world rockets with this mod since day one, so.. Does it have something to do with Real Fuels? Haven't tried that mod yet I fear it'll make getting to orbit even easier then it already is.

Here's an example, a cutaway of the Titan II.

Note how for both the first and second stage there's a lot of "wasted" space--the intertank and the fore and aft skirts--when you think of the entire stage as a cylinder. This is because usually a rocket stage is made up of an outer shell (cylindrical) and two large inner pressure vessels (the fuel and the oxidizer tank) as well as some other small pressure vessels (for N2 or Helium or whatever) and other sundries.

But also note how, proportionally, the second stage has a lot *more* wasted space. This is because it's much shorter and wider, and so two capsule-shaped pressure vessels fit less optimally.

On the other hand, some stages (like the Saturn S-II and S-IVB) have a common bulkhead, where the upper dome of the oxidizer tank is also used as the bottom bulkhead of the fuel tank. That lets them cram more propellant into a smaller volume than a normal tank+intertank+tank setup can.

That's where utilization comes in. It lets you capture that fact.

However, rather than calculating it internally, Stretchy lets you set it by hand. This brings up the second use of utilization: replicating real rockets. If you know how tall a rocket stage is, and how much volume of fuel/oxidizer it should actually hold, you can set the stretchy to the appropriate height/width and then use utilization to tweak the volume until it's correct.

Ohh I see so it lets you mimic real-word dimensions to the T. Very cool. I guess when I say "I've been making real-world rockets" I should say replicas. Thanks Nathan. This is turning out to be one of the best mods in my gamedata. The amount of memory it saves is astounding. I delete ALL fuel tanks stock and from mods and only use the one, superstretchy tank, Conic and SRB. Along with MF it handles all my fuel needs. Its nice to look in the propulsion tab and just see engines.