[0.23.5] StretchySRB: A StretchyTanks Continuation v9 Final Pre-PP edition 3/21/14

NathanKell

Hello Nathan,

Thanks for several really nice mod packs. I did not bother to ask this when I installed RO3-RSS and related stuff to v0.23, but now that I have completed my 3rd installation round with RO4 etc to v0.235... hacked RT2 etc to work somewhat I decided to ask as I start to feel like an idiot trying to re-install and re-install =).

Maybe this picture explains my confusion better than 3948759 lines of text. I suspect I have some configuration error.. ie missed some config file.

http://paste.nerv.fi/34272706-config-problem.png

Installed engine packs: KW, AIES, Nova and real engines.

Somehow I have this strange feeling that when 4th tier from RP-lite is open I should be able to use at least some of the 4th tier engines. But it seems bit hard to fit them when with curren max 2.5 diam tanks. =)

Can you quickly comment have I missed some configuraiton file update, or is this normal. =)

I have tried to go step by step with your instructions and other modders instructions, but to be honest its is quite confusing to try to follow them. (Yeah I know its lisencing thingy with mods.. no complaints there). But I kinda guess you know the possible problems right away. =D

Yeah and thanks very great mod packs.. IMO some of those should be integrated to KSP. ;)

--- edit ---

Engines in picture should be:

top-left-up: HM-7B 1 tier too high

bot-left : RD-253

top-middle: H-1

bot-middle: RS-25D : info says tech lev 4-4

bot-right: yet another HM-7B

Edited by prc

Hi prc--thanks!

Your problem, I'm sorry to say, is that you missed a step. The RPL readme/OP direct you to download RftS Engines, rather than RealEngines. RPL only supports RftSEngines, and right now you are obviously using RealEngines. Since the tech tree is built for totally different engine configs, everything will be out of order.

Hi prc--thanks!

Your problem, I'm sorry to say, is that you missed a step. The RPL readme/OP direct you to download RftS Engines, rather than RealEngines. RPL only supports RftSEngines, and right now you are obviously using RealEngines. Since the tech tree is built for totally different engine configs, everything will be out of order.

Ah thanks for the info, and nothing to be sorry about. My bad. I think I have made mistake when reading those packages as the names are quite similar and I have minor reading disorder, so its easy to make mistakes like that.

I will sort it out next time I am going to play KSP. Thanks for the instructions.

I kinda was wondering why my engines look bigger than small probes I would want to lift :D

-- edit 13:12 EET --

Thanks Nathan!!!

Works great now. Required fuel amounts and given thrust makes sense now, engines can be fitted to available tanks etc.. (and I dont need 100m long fuel tank to reach 200km orbit ;) )

U don't even want to see what I had to build when testing ro3 @ v0.23 KSP to get a small drone to mars (duna). Its like easy-mode now :P

Edited by prc

I have an issue that seems to be related to Stretchy Tanks... here is what I've worked out so far posted in another thread:

I've encountered a strange bug that may have something to do with Fuel Balancer. Not sure yet. In any case were it not for Balancer I probably would not even know it existed.

Basically I'm getting a phantom fuel tank in my rocket builds... it's always the same Stretchy Tank with 720 units of liquid fuel. It shows up in Balancer but not in the resource panel. It has no weight but the fuel can be used... once it is used or dumped and you switch to another ship and back it disappears altogether.

It's definitely not a tank that is clipped inside the rest of the vehicle. For one thing it would be too large to go unseen but I have in any case done complete rebuilds and it's still there. I also don't think I've ever even used a Stretchy tank with 720 units.

You can see all this in my latest stream from about 30 minutes in.

My full list of mods is on my stream page here.

The workaround is obviously to dump the fuel from the tank on the launchpad but I'd really like to work out why I have the issue in the first place. Any ideas welcome.

After some more testing...

Further to my last post I've done a bit more digging.

Using Part Lister I could see the tank did not exist in the VAB, but it appears in the Balancer list once you are on the launchpad. If the tank is drained and you session change away from the craft and back it is refilled (whether on the launchpad or not).

By highlighting the tank I've identified that it is associated with a Stretchy Tank of smaller size that contains monopropellant. Checking the persistence file however the part only contains monopropellant. The default size and content of that tank is 720 liquid fuel, so what appears to be happening is the script is somehow applying that amount of rocket fuel to the part in addition to the monopropellant (while not adding anything to the persistence file or applying any weight).

All very perplexing and obviously I cannot fix it by editing the persistence file.

And later still...

UPDATE:

Okay I've done even more testing and now I'm unsure whether it might be Fuel Balancer that is causing the issue or just not playing nice in combination with Stretchy Tanks.

Removing all other mods I tested using just Stretchy Tanks and Fuel Balancer. Same issue was replicated. Interestingly if I reverted to launch the extra tank disappeared from the FB list, but if I then session changed and came back to the launchpad it was there again. Then I removed Balancer and had the offending monoprop tank sat above a normal rocket fuel tank and motor... it just burned that fuel and no extra fuel flowed from the bugged tank.

As previously mentioned the phantom tank does not add any weight in the VAB or once spawned (this double checked with Flight Engineer).

So... even if this is just an issue with Stretchy Tanks in practice it is only an issue if Fuel Balancer is balancing the tanks, since I otherwise wouldn't even know the problem existed (as the phantom fuel produces no weight). For now therefore I have removed Fuel Balancer... which makes me a sad panda because it's otherwise fantastic. Hope someone can shed some light on this as I don't have any hair left to pull out! :)

Edited by Senior Slaphead

This is from an output_log.txt created during a KSP session when the phantom tank appeared, right?

2 things to try. First, try running without Engineer. I'm seeing some exceptions from it. Second, replace Stretchy with Procedural Parts and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the prompt response. The log is from the session in the video.

I had already tested it without Engineer, that was only included to show the lack of mass. Even so, just double checked it again without Engineer and got the same result... not sure why it throws errors but it's clearly unrelated.

Not touched Procedural Parts yet, will have a look now.

Okay I see you are doing things differently in Procedural Parts given that you have a separate part for RCS. The good news is that this is not creating a phantom tank in Fuel Balancer.

What will happen to legacy RCS Stretchy Tank parts if I upgrade to Procedural Parts do you think? I have a shed-load of vessels on mission using Stretchy Tank RCS that are producing the phantom part in balancer.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah. They're my custom textures for Procedural Fairings. You can get them in Realism Overhaul, although soon enough e-dog is adding support for stretchy/PP textures so you can just use the stretchy version.

how do i get blackheart Textures to work download. they work on Procedural Parts but not on StretchySRB is there something more i need to do