[0.23.5] StretchySRB: A StretchyTanks Continuation v9 Final Pre-PP edition 3/21/14

NathanKell

Yay finally :D By the way I have no problem with downloading your tweakable plugin seperately but wouldn't it be easier to include it if it is needed? I guess as both are your own work yoo don't have to worry about license haha :wink:

Hmm... because that TP plugin serves more than just SRB thrust curve tweaking... :)

First of all, thanks for all the mods you've made Nathan :)

Secondly, I haven't read the entire thread in exact detail so I don't know if its been said yet, but when copying a Stretchy tank that isn't of default length (1.875m), the attachment nodes of the copy are at the default position and not changeable anymore (either inside, or outside the tank). It also kinda breaks symmetry sometimes when trying to make multi body rockets with the stock adapter parts. Another thing i wanted to ask, now that we can adjust the diameter of the tanks, why do the tanks with different unadjustable diameters still exist?

Try replacing the dll in GameData/StretchyTanks/Plugins with this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/27hcnol49pxfsxz/StretchyTanks.dll

See if that fixes the issue.

Works. But i installed 8.1 again and it works too. Seems like my installation was just broken.

Btw. how i can create own fuel types/sets? i remember i read something about that.

My plan is a stretchable life support service module for TACLS.

Edited by acc

I'll second frsd's suggestion to remove most of the new tanks, and just use two or three with the new adjustable widths feature (including the adapter piece). If Stretchy can save part count, surely it can also save mod load :)

Also, Solid Fuel tanks are useless - they don't feed into a booster's nozzle. Am I supposed to use this with Uzio's Welding to make a single part out of the SRB and solid fuel tank?

I believe in v8.1 you can no longer put solid fuel in a non-StretchySRB part. In prior versions you could, and it was indeed useless. :)

The node issue I know about, and have been working on, but it's been stubbornly resisting me. I may have to add a special method just to get around it...

I believe in v8.1 you can no longer put solid fuel in a non-StretchySRB part. In prior versions you could, and it was indeed useless. :)

The node issue I know about, and have been working on, but it's been stubbornly resisting me. I may have to add a special method just to get around it...

Mostly it works in subassmebly manager for me. and the copy-issue in editor can be worked around by attaching, detaching the tank. after this the nodes are right.

and my question again :)

Btw. how i can create own fuel types/sets? i remember i read something about that.

my question again :) Btw. how i can create own fuel types/sets? i remember i read something about that.

I'm actually working on the next version of stretchy tanks, which will be a major upgrade. This feature is planned.

I am having a bit of an issue with this mod. I can re-size the parts, I can change the texture but for the life of me I can not get it to put any fuel of any kind into the tanks. In fact it will not even specify what fuel it is suppose to have. The G key does not bring up any GUE and nothing happens when I hold the key down and right click and move the mouse. I am playing in career mode, but I would have thought that at least basic fuels would be unlocked when the tanks unlocked.

Any suggestions and or help would be useful. ( I have already uninstalled and re-installed so that one is out.)

I am having a bit of an issue with this mod. I can re-size the parts, I can change the texture but for the life of me I can not get it to put any fuel of any kind into the tanks. In fact it will not even specify what fuel it is suppose to have. The G key does not bring up any GUE and nothing happens when I hold the key down and right click and move the mouse. I am playing in career mode, but I would have thought that at least basic fuels would be unlocked when the tanks unlocked.

Any suggestions and or help would be useful. ( I have already uninstalled and re-installed so that one is out.)

Are you using Modular Fuel Tanks or Real Fuels?

Are you using Modular Fuel Tanks or Real Fuels?

Real Fuels. I should have stated I have a lot of mods installed. I am using the mod list from the realism overhaul of KSP. I am using all but the launch pad mod from the list of mods here.

Are you hinting that I may need to change some references in the CFG file?

Edited by mcirish3

Real Fuels. I should have stated I have a lot of mods installed. I am using the mod list from the realism overhaul of KSP. I am using all but the launch pad mod from the list of mods here.

Are you hinting that I may need to change some references in the CFG file?

Nope I am hinting that this fully supports both MFT and RF but you have to select fuel via the RealFUels way. Click in the Action Group Editor on the Tank. The G button only works with stock fuel

Nope I am hinting that this fully supports both MFT and RF but you have to select fuel via the RealFUels way. Click in the Action Group Editor on the Tank. The G button only works with stock fuel

Well, Doh. I guess I owe you $250. $2 for responding twice. $248 for knowing what to say :)

If you are playing on career mode you need to unlock new techs to get bigger tanks

Having played career mode with this mod a while now, is there a way to completely unlock size restrictions? If so which technode or how? I have unlocked very heavy rocketry but can not seem to expand past 5m or 2.5m for SRBs.

In a sandbox save creating a 7m wide SRB worked fine.

So I've been launching monstrously huge rockets for a while now (Usually 15-20m in diameter with a lot of F1 engines underneath) and wanted to try my hand at a large SLS like lifter. I've always tried not to use stretchy SRBs (or stock ones for that matter) due to the cheaty way they work. Not only is the enourmous increase in TWR (losing mass, with constant or increasing thrust) not realistic, it also causes over-G issues. So is there any work being done on thrust curves for these SRBs? I really liked the way advanced SRB and Hakari's 1:1 Shuttle booster replica did it, and I feel realistic behaviour for solid motors is something that's really missing from the (amazing) realistic experience that you've so far managed to create.