[0.23.5] StretchySRB: A StretchyTanks Continuation v9 Final Pre-PP edition 3/21/14

NathanKell

Procedural Parts does work in Linux. So does Stretchy.

Crozius, make sure you don't have Procedural Parts installed as well as Stretchy -- PP has configs that will hide Stretchytanks from your catalog.

Very strange, I'll try it with PP. Definitely didn't have both installed, but I do have a ton of mods (why else get Linux?)

Edit: Confirmed PP does work. Thank you for the suggestion!

Edited by Crozius

I'm not sure where to post this, but the old stretchy tanks do not work anymore with the new RSS/Procedural tanks. The parts load, but their size is all the default size, and they do not hold the correct amount of fuel. This makes in-flight ships not happy, and craft in the VAB look weird, and not function properly. See image. Weirdly, the editor does seem to know how far the part extends, but the calculation for tank capacity and the display (at the very least) are definitely borked.

http://i.imgur.com/Bbb3CGS.png

• 2 weeks later...

Question. I've noticed a trend on procedural stuff. Rather than using mouse-over keys to stretch or scale the object, they've added tweakables to it. Did you have any plans to add such functionality to these tanks?

I've noticed a greater usability with the tweakables so was kinda wondering.

Phredward: wow, sorry, I totally missed your post!

That should be fixed with the latest ModuleManager, presuming the .craft and .sfs files haven't been overwritten.

rosenkranz: As the OP says, Stretchy is no longer being developed and is replaced by Procedural Parts.

How would I go about making SolidFuel amounts in SSRBs tweakable? I'm making a sub-orbital spaceplane and I need large, but not full SRBs centered on the CoM, lest it will move too much when they're depleted.

Does the tweaked fuel return on launch or something?

There is no option to tweak the SSRBs in the first place. I can only change utilization & tech level. The only thing I can think of that might be causing this is some MM patch but I haven't made any patches to remove tweakable fuel. Gonna investigate.

Edited by MAKC

• 3 weeks later...

So I know the recommendation right now is to switch to procedural parts, but that's not really an option for me just yet as Load on Demand doesn't seem to be compatible with it yet (textures load and stay extremely low resolution), so in the meantime I'm stuck with StretchySRB. Anyway, I've got a bug that just won't go away... I like to use conic tanks on the bottom of cylindrical tanks to create a fueled adapter when I'm using an engine of a smaller size than the tanks above it, anyway, occasionally when I do this, igniting the engine from that stage shoots the engine and the conic tank its attached to straight up through the rest of the rocket, and out to about 500m in from of the rocket where it catches and starts flying around randomly like its on a bungee cord and dragging the remains of the rocket along with it on a wild ride. This seems to happen most often after I've removed and then reattached large sections of the rocket (adding a new engine to my payload for example), and the only way to be sure its fixed is to delete the offending conic tank (and usually any that exist below it) and then rebuild the rocket below.

My guess is this is something to do with the way the nodes between the two tanks are interfacing, but I can't be sure as I'm not really sure how that actually happens at a technical level. If anyone else has experienced this and / or knows of a fix, I'd really like to hear your input. Thanks.

EDIT: Ok, so I figured out finally why PP wasn't working for me and have since fixed it so I'll give PP a try now and hopefully I don't have this issue there.

Edited by SpacedInvader

Note: StrechySRB is in the process of being replaced by Procedural Parts. This will be the final release of StretchySRB under this name; for all further development (and many amazing new features) see the PP thread.

It's no longer a 'recommendation'. Procedural Parts replaced this mod, and this mod is no longer supported. Seems like the tree you need to bark at is getting LoD to work with Procedural Parts.

Since you know how to fix/prevent the problem, I suggest you keep doing that, otherwise https://github.com/NathanKell/StretchySRB/tree/master/Plugins/StretchyTanks.

• 2 months later...