[0.23.5] StretchySRB: A StretchyTanks Continuation v9 Final Pre-PP edition 3/21/14

NathanKell

How about making the utilization relate to cost and technology available? For example, making baloon tank would be an early tech, but they'd be restricted in size. On the other hand, with thick walls (low utilization), you could make a very big tank early on. And of course, smaller utilization=less cost, because of easier handling and manufacture.

MAKC: Glad you're enjoying it!

Motokid600: yup. Haven't used any non-stretchy tank but a spherical RCS tank in...forever.

Dragon01: neat idea! I'd suggest you mention that on the PP thread, though, since this one is over and done. :)

YIKES! StretchySRB V9 and Real Fuels v5 have been released, also "Procedural Parts - The next phase of Stretchy SRBs" seems to have escaped my notice. If anyone has attempted to use any of these with any success? I had an odd issue with no stretchy fuel tanks/SRB's in VAB/SPH when i switched to StretchySRB V9 and Real Fuels v5 so i switched back to the previous versions. Anyone else attempt this?? If it matters about tech trees i'm currently using "Realistic Progresion LITE", maybe my issue is due to this?

Note, i got a reply on this in the Procedural Parts thread, but i dont trust it 100% as it suggests making changes to Real fuels. I will wait to receive an answer in this thread so i dont "break" my Stretchy SRB's/Real fuels integration in RPL. If NathanKell has a moment to post his thoughts on that i would feel far better about making the suggested edits

Edited by Guest

Ok, i've been encountering some issue about inaccurate thrust curve with ETC for SRBs. And it took me some time to check the reason.

Now it seems like it's related to useEngineResponseSpeed = true & non-zero engineAcceleration/DeaccelerationSpeed, which causes the actual throttle to be "lerp"ed between the value i gave to and the thrust percent value set in VAB context menu.

An easy fix is to always enable useEngineResponseSpeed but set engineAcc/DeaccSpeed to 0 so that the "lerp" will not change the throttle given by ETC.

I will release the new version here in one day or two. normally if you have already installed the plugin, you just need to overwrite the .dll file. but some thrust curve might need tweaking to adapt to the change. :)

EDIT: here's it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb51rhkgdz814nl/Engine%20Thrust%20Controll%20V2.zip

the DL link is actually the same but i just repost it here because that's lots of pages away from here.

Edited by HoneyFox

Ok, i've been encountering some issue about inaccurate thrust curve with ETC for SRBs. And it took me some time to check the reason.

Now it seems like it's related to useEngineResponseSpeed = true & non-zero engineAcceleration/DeaccelerationSpeed, which causes the actual throttle to be "lerp"ed between the value i gave to and the thrust percent value set in VAB context menu.

An easy fix is to always enable useEngineResponseSpeed but set engineAcc/DeaccSpeed to 0 so that the "lerp" will not change the throttle given by ETC.

I will release the new version here in one day or two. normally if you have already installed the plugin, you just need to overwrite the .dll file. but some thrust curve might need tweaking to adapt to the change. :)

EDIT: here's it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb51rhkgdz814nl/Engine%20Thrust%20Controll%20V2.zip

the DL link is actually the same but i just repost it here because that's lots of pages away from here.

Is you Tweakable Parameters plugin still needed for this one?

Is you Tweakable Parameters plugin still needed for this one?

Yes and the V4 version of TP has been released just one week ago, with the GUI float curve editor completely finished now. Try it! :D

Yes and the V4 version of TP has been released just one week ago, with the GUI float curve editor completely finished now. Try it! :D

I remember you had to setup for your parts if they should work with TP , is this still the case or are the TP configs somehow integrated in ETC so it automatically works... I'm kind of lazy :D

I remember you had to setup for your parts if they should work with TP , is this still the case or are the TP configs somehow integrated in ETC so it automatically works... I'm kind of lazy :D

TP has an MM config that adds TP capability to all parts. ETC has an MM config that adds a certain curve for all SRBs.

so you still need to pick out (by selecting the part and press P key... ) the curve provided by ETC and use TP to define a new one.

it might be possible to automate this "pick out" process by adding a preset entry in TP config but it's not so easy according to the current MM mechanism.

As long I don't need to make any configs outside of the game everthings fine :D Thanks for your amazing work , I hope I get to test it soon :D

Hope you like the new GUI curve editor, and also feedback about it is very welcomed.

As of today im having new trouble with this tank setup.

ZFT5LwC.jpg?1

No matter what engine I try. It only drains the bottom conic tank then cuts off leaving the middle and top still full. And on top of that the center tank is slowly leaking fuel from some unknown source. Havent had this problem before with similar designs.. any tips?

It says right next to the link, installation instructions in the zip. Follow those instructions.

I followed the instructions but It didn't work. I copied the StretchySNtextures in Gamedata but they don't work.

Edited by Dacsi

Dacsi: just to confirm: in GameData you have these two folders (along with all the other folders):

StretchyTanks

StretchySNTextures

Inside StretchySNTextures, you have this folder: StretchyTextures

Inside StretchyTextures, you have a bunch of TGAs and a single CFG.

And you're using StretchySRB v9.

Dacsi: just to confirm: in GameData you have these two folders (along with all the other folders):

StretchyTanks

StretchySNTextures

Inside StretchySNTextures, you have this folder: StretchyTextures

Inside StretchyTextures, you have a bunch of TGAs and a single CFG.

And you're using StretchySRB v9.

Take a look yourself: http://imgur.com/a/kCxdx

(I have both this and procedural parts because in PP the SRBs overheat and explode on launch)

I mouse over the stretch tank and press f. I can get a tiny width change but nothing big. Seems happy to make it thinner though.

What am I doing wrong? Can change length no problem.

Max width 0.625 m.

EDIT: No problem, this is tied to career mode, read this a few pages back

Edited by TimeforAction

I'm using stretchy tanks currently until Procedural Parts is compatible with real fuels.

EDIT: Turns out that in the recent update the real fuels stretchy tanks were moved to the RF download. That's what I get for not reading the OP. :P

Edited by Space_Kraken
Stuff