Amateur Rocketeer joining the ranks, welcomes critique

scootersoup

Hey all, I've been fueling an on/off addiction to KSP for quite a while now. I picked up the game on Steam in March, and it's one of the few digital purchases I've ever made at full price. I had a blast building rockets and planes (and mostly watching them blow up), but never seemed to get the hang of extra-Kerbinary travel. Though I managed to begin assembly of a rather large space station before realizing there was a much more structurally sound way of doing so. Then 0.22 came out and a few days ago I read that the campaign option was available! This only made the game more appealing to me, as it seems the very restrictive amount of parts you are given at the beginning helped me to refine my rocket building greatly. They are still over-engineered, but they've gotten me successful manned missions to Mun, Minmus, and a probe stranded on Eve due to an accidental staging. Anyway, I hope to become a member of this community, and wish to improve and expand my and others' building skills and knowledge of orbital mechanics :D

it seems the very restrictive amount of parts you are given at the beginning helped me to refine my rocket building greatly.

Yep, it's a good discipline to learn to build with a reduced toolset. Painters often try painting with a reduced palette, as they say it encourages creativity.

Welcome, btw!

Probe stranded on Eve cause of accidental staging? Were you planning on recovering it? You do know Eve requires like 10 or 12 thousand dV to reach orbit right? :P If youve been interplanetary then you've got the skills to go anywhere! I recommend trying the Kerbal Flight Engineer mod, it just lets you see a lot more of your ships stats, so you actually know whether or not you've got enough fuel without busting out the rocket equation and doing math(s).

Thanks everyone!

This looks like a fun thread. I will try to contribute for sure

You do know Eve requires like 10 or 12 thousand dV to reach orbit right? [...] Kerbal Flight Engineer mod

I didn't reach orbit, I just got an intercept, and redirected my trajectory to aerobrake xD or do you mean from the surface? Yeah, I've been seeing that mod in some screenshots, and been thinking about getting it. Been using vanilla KSP thus far