Realistic Solar System Crafts - MEGATHREAD

Okay, i'll change it to "RealSolarSystem Craft Showcase", i just wanted it to be a general thread, since it is mod related :)

And RedRobin, this is a delta-v map of the real solar system, so it should be the same in RSS, although the numbers are a little small :)

http://spaceexp.tumblr.com/post/69885541643/delta-v-map-of-the-solar-system-by

Edited by Mr.Rocket

It seems so, as long as the mod is accurate, although i have found that it takes a little more than 9000 delta-v to reach orbit, maybe because of FAR, or my launch procedure. I have a feeling it is accurate, although the atmospheric info may be a little of? Oh, and that map is of real-life, not RSS i'm pretty sure.

Really cool craft, folks! I'll have to post a few of mine too... :)

The dV map is accurate if and only if you use FAR. Note that the dV for reaching Earth orbit assumes, I think, a non-equatorial launch and decent gravity losses; if you're launching from the equator and have a high thrust ascent, you may be able to get under 9km/sec total dV expended. And of course if you're not using FAR, add another km/sec or two of "soupodynamics" drag losses.

It seems so, as long as the mod is accurate, although i have found that it takes a little more than 9000 delta-v to reach orbit, maybe because of FAR, or my launch procedure. I have a feeling it is accurate, although the atmospheric info may be a little of? Oh, and that map is of real-life, not RSS i'm pretty sure.

The lowest Delta V I've managed to get to orbit with is 8.8 km/s. That was with a rocket that had a terminal velocity of 800 m/s and a take of TWR of 1.8 or so.

As long as your rocket is huge and aerodynamic it's mostly about the gravity losses.

BTW I flew my Mars mission :)

This booster gets to orbit with just a hair over 9 km/s. It would be less if it had more thrust on the upper stages.

Edited by maccollo

"This end should point towards the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today."

I'm sorry, I had to.

Exactly. Launching towards ground is good for your crew's health.

The lowest Delta V I've managed to get to orbit with is 8.8 km/s. That was with a rocket that had a terminal velocity of 800 m/s and a take of TWR of 1.8 or so.

As long as your rocket is huge and aerodynamic it's mostly about the gravity losses.

BTW I flew my Mars mission :)

This booster gets to orbit with just a hair over 9 km/s. It would be less if it had more thrust on the upper stages.

http://youtu.be/mrjpELy1xzc

I have to ask, did you slow down before your re-entry into Kerbin or did you just fly from Duna to Kerbin and splashdown? If so how did your heat shield survive that?

So, about a month ago, NeonEagle (not sure who they are on KSP forums) posted a great looking RSS Skylon on Reddit. He implied he'd share the craft after making some final tweaks, but I haven't seen it anywhere, or any other Skylon replicas as close as his. I asked in a reply comment in that thread, so hopefully we'll get it soon, but for now, have there been any good Skylon craft files available (besides the B9 ones)?

Edited by curiousepic

I present to you, the Soyuz-TMA atop it's rocket, ready for it's launch to glorious MIR Station in the name of the Revolution.

9gjO6D5.png

Powered by 4 KW Rocketry Griffon G8D's and a single Griffon XX at launch, the Soyuz has a TWR of 1.45.

DYeOJDx.png

In this photo, Comrade Bob Kerman prepares for the launch by singing the People's Anthem.

The Soyuz Rocket is propelled by only the finest RP-1 rocket fuel, unlike those Americans and their cryogenic hydrogen. The same hydrogen that continually yearns to escape from their tanks, like the loyalty from their hearts.

swQtAxV.png

Picture of the Soyuz Spacecraft without it's protective fairing and Launch Escape System. The foolish worker who forgot to add the fairing will be sent to a reeducation camp.

TDQvILw.png

Picture of the Soyuz from a 300Km orbit taken by Comrade Political Officer Jebediah Kerman.

Payload to LKO: 25 tons.

Stages: 2

Boosters: 4 Griffon G8D's with RP-1 Kerosene fuel: DeltaV- 1948 m/s

Stage-01: 1 Griffon XX with RP-1 Kerosene fuel: DeltaV- 3094 m/s

Stage-02: 1 Wildcat XR with RP-1 Kerosene fuel: DeltaV-6993 m/s

Soyuz-TMA: 12 Linear RCS points with Monopropellant: DeltaV-1500 m/s

Launch Profile: Turn 10 degrees at launch, and slowly turn until you are pointed at 45 degrees by 30Km. By 70Km the rocket should be pointed at 30 degrees, and by 200Km should be oriented at 0 degrees (if the ship has not yet reached orbit).

Never let go of the throttle, while Kerosene may be a cheaper fuel for the communist on a budget, it does not have a high TWR, and every second counts.

MODS: KW Rocketry, Real fuels "Stockalike", HGR for the Soyuz Module, Near Future Propulsion for the Solar Panels, Stretchy Tanks, Deadly Reentry, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, Mechjeb, FASA, and Remotetech 2.

Craft File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2UfSbILNRzeQzE0ZXluTGRlMFE/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by GamerGaius

Sternjaeger, Nadel, Saber: Stretchy Conic (press b a few times to get desired curvature).

Swift, Viper: Firespitter nose intake.

Attacker, Dart: Firespitter oblong tail.

Falcon: Stretchy Conic tank + rescaled and repainted Rocket Nose Cone (as 340kg warhead in RftS pack)

Schwable: proc fairing interstage with egg sides, 340kg warhead nose (see above).

Sometimes I add a Communotron 16 (unextended) to the nose when using a Stretchy conic or the FS tail; it looks like a pitot tube and it closes the node to avoid open-node drag.

About 520. Lags to hell.

But I've launched 500 part rockets before that don't lag nearly as much. I'm thinking it might be FAR being more expensive for larger crafts (larger reference area).

*Edit

Well this is a bit of a bummer. I made orbit, all 320 tons, and then the NERVAs exploded.... From reentry...

... Wat?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/NERVAoverheat.png

But of course! Ahh those bugs...(and sorry for the late reply!)

Welp, I've spent the last few days attempting a Skylon replica. I've finally got something promising, but now I'm stuck. I can get into a stable cruise at 30-40k altitude, but acceleration with the SABREs seems to flatline and I can't get above ~1800 m/s. I assume it's because I can't get enough intake air, but much lower and I'll overheat.

Hodo, you're using 2 SABREs on that first spaceplane, right? What's the optimal flight plan?

Also, with the normal suite of RO mods, the FAR analyzer in SPH is not working. Also my COM is not appearing. Are there any known compatibility issues? (Procedural Wings, Real Fuels, RCS Build Aid are the only things I could think of).

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by curiousepic

Welp, I've spent the last few days attempting a Skylon replica. I've finally got something promising, but now I'm stuck. I can get into a stable cruise at 30-40k altitude, but acceleration with the SABREs seems to flatline and I can't get above ~1800 m/s. I assume it's because I can't get enough intake air, but much lower and I'll overheat.

Hodo, you're using 2 SABREs on that first spaceplane, right? What's the optimal flight plan?

Also, with the normal suite of RO mods, the FAR analyzer in SPH is not working. Also my COM is not appearing. Are there any known compatibility issues? (Procedural Wings, Real Fuels, RCS Build Aid are the only things I could think of).

The first SSTO I made that works in RSS, has a single SABRE engine. The SABRE-M to be exact. I followed the profile for the Skylon for flight. I would climb to about 20-25km, and bring the nose down to 20deg but maintain a possitive climb of no less than 10m/s, but try and keep it below 50m/s. At that point I would be pushing for max speed under open cycle, the Skylon wasn't slated to switch over to closed cycle till above mach 5. Usually when I hit mach 5 I am pushing past 35km altitude, as soon as I go closed cycle I would nose up to 40deg and climb as fast as I can without losing speed.

My second SSTO space plane uses two SABRE-Ms which used the same flight profile as the first.

But lately I have been having issues with one of the two engines flaming out or suddenly losing power. Like now both SABRE-Ms when switched to closed cycle drop to 21kn of thrust per engine. Which is maybe 1/100th of what they should be. If I throttle back from 100% to say 50% they kick up to about 800kn per engine but if I go above 51% one of them drops back to 21kn of thrust and the other hits just shy of 900kn. Which ends up being bad.

I had this problem before and I can not remember how I fixed it or what caused it.

Edited by Hodo

Please, PLEASE release a craft file of that. I NEED it.

That's why I'm making it (since no one has shared a similar craft). I'd like to get some input on my current problems and then I'll release a WIP craft file even if I can't get it to orbit so you guys can help me tweak it into space :)

Hodo, thanks - I'll try that profile with my current craft and see how it goes. I'll keep an eye out for unusual flameouts or power losses as well.

Raptor powered Falcon BFR Heavy

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Falcon Heavy on the left compared to the massive Falcon BFR Heavy

Stats:

489tonnes to LEO

Gross mass: 9344t

Dry mass: 440t (without payload or fairings)

Thrust per engine- 4500kN (4711kN for vac version)

ISP- 321(SL) 363(vac) ISP vac engine- 380 Sea level

TWR: 1.17 2nd stage

TWR: 0.50

Total DeltaV ~9450m/s

Layout- 9 engines per 10m core; 1 on the upper stage

Fuel: methane/LOx

100% fuel crossfeed (not entirely accurate at the moment)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.