Realistic Solar System Crafts - MEGATHREAD

Well, holding stable at 20-25k, I still top out at ~1750m/s and begin overheating. Check the new screen in the album in my post above. Any ideas?

And Scripto, nice Big Falcon' Rocket :D

EDIT: I see now that I should actually be switching over to rocket mode at about the speed I'm stalling at. I thought I'd get a lot more velocity out of the air breathing mode, but I'll try it - I'll probably have to change fuel ratios since I only get a 1-2k dV with my current oxygen level (which I thought was proportional to the real thing).

Edited by curiousepic

Well, holding stable at 20-25k, I still top out at ~1750m/s and begin overheating. Check the new screen in the album in my post above. Any ideas?

And Scripto, nice Big Falcon' Rocket :D

EDIT: I see now that I should actually be switching over to rocket mode at about the speed I'm stalling at. I thought I'd get a lot more velocity out of the air breathing mode, but I'll try it - I'll probably have to change fuel ratios since I only get a 1-2k dV with my current oxygen level (which I thought was proportional to the real thing).

Yeah the switch over should be around mach 5 to mach 5.5. Much faster than that and your losing speed and momentum because your engines are losing power. The promotional video I seen on Youtube for the Skylon project said that it would switch from air breathing to closed cycle around mach 5. So that is how I did the flight test.

You maybe able to get a bit more altitude on your air breathing mode before you switch over. Which may help cut the dV requirements to get to space. But for the life of me I am not sure how that craft is to get into a stable orbit. It just uses WAY to much fuel in closed cycle.

Okay, I worked a bit on a similar design, and instead of going stable at 30K, I stay pointing at around 30-33 degrees all the way up, with engines on full for as long as possible. At 40K I swap to Rocket Engines, and I start to pray to any god that will hear me, and I manage about 7000 m/s in the atmosphere, which would be good enough... if there wasn't an atmosphere that just eats up all my velocity as soon as I shut off the engine.

It looks like the SABREs are causing a bunch of exceptions when running the FAR analysis AND causing the COM to disappear. Hmph.

Well, now my issue is that as I increase the amount of LOX, it drastically weighs the whole thing down and causes stability and fragility issues.

I've taken the liberty of merging Mr. Rocket's thread into this one, since there's really no need for two separate showcases covering the same topic. Carry on :)

But now the title makes no sense. When the other thread was about aircraft and the like, this is about the launchers, rockets and SSTOs.

If you are merging this one then you should perhaps merge the three threads on stock craft replicas.

Edited by Hodo

I've brought these concerns up with the rest of the moderation staff, and we've come to the following decision:

Based on a closer look at the original posts from the two threads, we've decided that keeping them merged is the best thing to do for now. While Captain Party's original post on the older thread indeed contained a launcher and much of the discussion after it tended towards launchers, there's nothing in the OP to suggest that the crafts shared in the thread have to be exclusively "launchers, rockets and SSTOs," in Hodo's words. The fact that he chose to title it "Realistic Solar System Crafts" and not something like "Realistic Solar System Launchers" or "Realistic Solar System Rockets" seems to back that conclusion up. Mr. Rocket's original post in his thread didn't seem to indicate a much more focused purpose for his thread itself ("This could include: Your ships, payloads, space stations, bases, textures, stories of your missions in Real solar system, or anything else related.") and also was less than a month old. In view of that, we've determined that it would be better to fold the two threads into one and have a single thread devoted to Real Solar System than to have two active threads with a fairly broad degree of overlap.

I realize this may not be the answer you all have hoped for, but I hope I've done a good job at explaining things from my own perspective and that of my peers. If any of you have any further concerns, feel free to contact me via private message.

Have a nice day :)

I've brought these concerns up with the rest of the moderation staff, and we've come to the following decision:

Based on a closer look at the original posts from the two threads, we've decided that keeping them merged is the best thing to do for now. While Captain Party's original post on the older thread indeed contained a launcher and much of the discussion after it tended towards launchers, there's nothing in the OP to suggest that the crafts shared in the thread have to be exclusively "launchers, rockets and SSTOs," in Hodo's words. The fact that he chose to title it "Realistic Solar System Crafts" and not something like "Realistic Solar System Launchers" or "Realistic Solar System Rockets" seems to back that conclusion up. Mr. Rocket's original post in his thread didn't seem to indicate a much more focused purpose for his thread itself ("This could include: Your ships, payloads, space stations, bases, textures, stories of your missions in Real solar system, or anything else related.") and also was less than a month old. In view of that, we've determined that it would be better to fold the two threads into one and have a single thread devoted to Real Solar System than to have two active threads with a fairly broad degree of overlap.

I realize this may not be the answer you all have hoped for, but I hope I've done a good job at explaining things from my own perspective and that of my peers. If any of you have any further concerns, feel free to contact me via private message.

Have a nice day :)

Actually it was a great explanation far better than most I have seen of late. Thank you for taking the time to look over our concerns and address them.

Well i've gotten four things done today:

My first Munar Flyby (manned, actually done last week):

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My first Mun lander (unmanned):

My working Ariane 5 Replica with ATV (for my station, has not been there yet):

And I added better launch towers for my Soyuz:

mBpYJD5.png

So today was a productive day :D

No! This thread cannot die! I must revive it!

So, here's my first RSS docking, between my Gemini-alike-ish capsule ("Capricorn") and a small, sub-Salyut-sized station:

The craft file for the Capricorn capsule and launcher is here.

The station craft isn't included because it spontaneously disassembles upon docking, and also when a kerbal enters it.

Edited by Genius Evil
Imgur weirdness...

Following the series of my big rockets, I've made one that isn't as famous as its smaller counterpart: the Saturn V ELV.

Basically: stretched S-IC and S-II, with four Titan-IV SRBs. Missing the S-IVB (although it could be used), putting 200t in LEO.

b2VmBOf.png

DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1jgbs1ux7bdt4s/Saturn%20V%20ELV.zip

Requires:

RSS, RO, SFJBRealEngines, Stretchy Tanks, Procedural Fairings, KW Rocketry, NovaPunch and Hakari F-1.

Drop staging on a lighter Atlas-like launcher. Stage-and-a-half booster, hypergolic upper, solid TLI kick stage. Verniers for after booster-engine drop.

EwDGcnBl.jpg

(1 fairing removed at bottom so inside can be seen)

Edited by NathanKell

Following the series of my big rockets, I've made one that isn't as famous as its smaller counterpart: the Saturn V ELV.

Basically: stretched S-IC and S-II, with four Titan-IV SRBs. Missing the S-IVB (although it could be used), putting 200t in LEO.

http://i.imgur.com/b2VmBOf.png

DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1jgbs1ux7bdt4s/Saturn%20V%20ELV.zip

Requires:

RSS, RO, SFJBRealEngines, Stretchy Tanks, Procedural Fairings, KW Rocketry, NovaPunch and Hakari F-1.

:0.0::cool: Damn that is one fine rocket. What are you planning on lifting with it?

:0.0::cool: Damn that is one fine rocket. What are you planning on lifting with it?

Probably modules for a Moon station + base, but I don't know yet. Also it is very hard to control and the fuel quantities are EXTREMELY limited. I hope it won't explode... 6000+ tons spread all over Florida :0.0:!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.