Realistic Solar System Crafts - MEGATHREAD

T way to get a substantially heavier one would be to go insane and make some 30 meter fuel tank with 50 F-1s on the bottom, and that's just silly. But if you need to get a mass equivalent to the entire ISS into orbit in one go, this is the vehicle to do it.

Please. I started working on a 90meter rocket. The first stage alone weighs 1.1 million tons. All of one part, a procedural SRB. Oh yeah, and a TWR of 1.02. Screw logic.

Also 500th post for this thread! RSS for ya above, dreaming up absurd things that if you listen carefully, can hear your computer screaming STOP PLAYING KSP!!!!!!!

Is it asymmetric?

Yes, In that picture it is in the 411 variant with only one booster. With all five boosters it can lift around 15 tons into LEO. I can put a download for it if you would like. It requires Procedural Parts, FASA, KW Rocketry,Procedural Fairings, and the blackheart Addon.

Maaan that was epic!

I've finished my Mars journey:

The only real problem i had was with the Mars-Earth transfer, the ship needed 200 more m/s Delta-V. But who would stop the show because of that, right? :rolleyes:

Also, immelman asked half a month ago:

Sorry to answer that so late. The three small modules were 100-ton at LEO and about 12 tons on Mars surface. The Mars Ascent Vehicle was about 230 tons on LEO. The car on the surface was about 5 tons. The mass of the big crew transfer rocket was ~400 tons on LEO.

How on Earth do you people manage building asimmetrically that way? It sincerely puzzles me.

Well, actually it's not that difficult to do so in Realism Overhaul. The engines have a MUCH greater gimbal range than stock, and most of the time you're able to counteract the asymmetrical thrust. By the way, really good Atlas!

Hellblazer, that is a gorgeous picture! Cell-shaded?

This is Iskra v1.2, my current go-to launch vehicle for small payloads (read: ~900 kg or less). Two kerolox stages, the upper one has three-axis NO2 attitude control. Flies really nice :)

lPHGKi1.png

Here it is carrying a dual payload + kickstage into a Molniya orbit

z0Vq3F4.png

And yes, I do feel humbled at the sight of those huge...rockets of yours =P

This is Iskra v1.2, my current go-to launch vehicle for small payloads (read: ~900 kg or less). Two kerolox stages, the upper one has three-axis NO2 attitude control. Flies really nice :)

http://i.imgur.com/lPHGKi1.png

http://i.imgur.com/z0Vq3F4.png

I like the second and third stage engines where do they come from?

http://i.imgur.com/lPHGKi1.png

http://i.imgur.com/z0Vq3F4.png

May I ask how you got Kerbin/Earth to look like that? I have EVE and Astronomers Visual Pack installed and the clouds in my opinion, are not as good as yours.

Ahh I figured that.

Anyway, here's my highly customized version of the SLS rocket. Instead of using LOX/LH2 as stage 1, I'm using Kerosene+LOX and replaced SRB's with kerosene engines. With it, I can carry 120 tons to 400 km orbit. because of the kerosene, it weighs around an insane 2000 tons on the launchpad.

screenshot676.jpg

Edited by Insanitic

• 3 weeks later...
I've finished my Mars journey:

The only real problem i had was with the Mars-Earth transfer, the ship needed 200 more m/s Delta-V. But who would stop the show because of that, right? :rolleyes:

Also, immelman asked half a month ago:

Sorry to answer that so late. The three small modules were 100-ton at LEO and about 12 tons on Mars surface. The Mars Ascent Vehicle was about 230 tons on LEO. The car on the surface was about 5 tons. The mass of the big crew transfer rocket was ~400 tons on LEO.

That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen... Watched it twice, will watch again.

• 2 weeks later...

Saturn IB:

593t start mass

20.5t payload (200km x 200km, 28 deg)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Proton M

715t start mass

22.1t payload (200km x 200km, 52 deg)

Small Shuttle (no better name yet)

My first shuttle ever made. It's almost SSTO which can put 13t orbiter into low orbit with 6000m/s delta V to spare. 520t core stage is using RD-171 while the orbiter is relying on single RL-10. I will probably switch to more applicative orbiter with less fuel and more place for Kerbals.

• 1 month later...

So recently I got at the RP-0 game again; here is the test launch of my Slingshot-1 vehicle. Payload to LEO is 1t and I'm planning a uniform-diameter version with two more boosters twice the payload.

p8ixYRF.png

Not seen here: the four Castor-1 boosters that ignite in pairs and provide adequate TWR and additional DeltaV

udvqf8c.png

The upper stage is powered by the Bell 80xx engine that was used in the Agena-A upper stage (I believe). The first stage has an LR-87 and two verniers.

perhaps the best way to understand this by understanding the verticle launch is the stupidest method of

flight invented by man and only used by NASA of the United States to best the soviets in the moon race.

a horizontal launch followed by falling into orbit is the only method known to moi here yet the foolish keep lauching 'rockets' like the earth is a little 'flat' plane.

how are those orbital, a solar, and intersteller sailing craft suiting you boys? had the gumption to try them out yet?

moose the zoomer.

So by now, most of you will of heard of the realistic solar system mod by NathanKell. If you haven't, then click on THIS LINK. It basically resizes Kerbin and the planets to be more realistic. Also making getting into orbit hard. So fell free to post things that will help people starting their realistic space program. Here's one of mine:

http://i.imgur.com/o68ITI7.png

This. For 10 TONS. Used it to launch the stock station core into a 115km circular orbit... I call it LV-Nebula-01 and its top payload is 15-tons to LE(K)O.

EDIT: 1,000 views! Thanks guys!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.