Realistic Solar System Crafts - MEGATHREAD

So by now, most of you will of heard of the realistic solar system mod by NathanKell. If you haven't, then click on THIS LINK. It basically resizes Kerbin and the planets to be more realistic. Also making getting into orbit hard. So fell free to post things that will help people starting their realistic space program. Here's one of mine:

o68ITI7.png

This. For 10 TONS. Used it to launch the stock station core into a 115km circular orbit... I call it LV-Nebula-01 and its top payload is 15-tons to LE(K)O.

EDIT: 1,000 views! Thanks guys!

Edited by Captain_Party

Did you use another mod to change the impulse of the engines? Because that rocket looks ridiculously small otherwise...

Actually not that small.

Unfortunately I do not use this mod, I am waiting on KIDS to work with the SABRE engines then I will be adding that to my mod list. But the universe resize plugin just takes to much memory for what I have left.

I am attempting to replicate your rocket and failing. I can't get much above 8600 vacuum deltav with a 0.2t payload, and it is really unstable at launch under mechjeb control (I did set the fins to roll control only, which helped a little). What is your upper stage engine? What is your propellant capacity for each stage (I am just using KW tanks)? What is your vacuum deltav for each stage? What sort of gravity turn profile are you using?

The best upper stage deltav I am able to achieve is with a mainsail attached to a long 3.75 tank (10935 liquidfuel), at 6132 deltav 1.07 full TWR. The first stage is powered by a Griffon XX as on yours, and I can get as much as 1883+1276 (1772+954 sea level) deltav if I keep stacking tanks until the TWR is low but it never gets enough to hit orbit (it does get really, really close).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Note: in the third pic, asparagus staging is not used in an attempt to make the vehicle more realistically plausible.

Edited by Virindi

I used a design similar to yours to make an "Atlas V" to launch an "X-37". For it to work, the X-37 has to provide approximately 1500m/s of dv at the end of the orbit burn. I also used four SRBs (the real X-37 does not need SRBs on the Atlas to launch).

Landing at KSC on Earth-sized Kerbin is quite a bit more difficult than it is in stock! Without the precisely measured landing paths they use in real life, it would probably help a lot to have a small jet engine on the spacecraft.

Vessel: X-37B on Atlas V 541

Orbit: 250x250km

Launch Mass: 627 metric tons

Mass to Orbit: 4.4 metric tons

Liquid Stages: 2 + payload stage

Engines: KW Griffon XX, Rockomax Mainsail, KW Vesta VR-1

Total Pad Delta-V (Vacuum, Mechjeb): 12894 m/s

Stage Delta-V (Vacuum, Mechjeb): 2467, 580, 5201, 4646

Stage TWR (Mechjeb): 1.33, 2.07, 1.01, 1.89

Orbital maneuvering capacity: 3100 m/s DeltaV

Tired of puny rockets? Used to orbiting piles of Rockomax orange tanks to fuel your interplanetary missions and want to continue doing it in realistic rescaled mode?

I give you: the RLS-1. It's one and a half times the mass of a Saturn V (and one third the payload...but the Saturn V upper stages have engines which get 421s Isp).

Vessel: RLS-1

Payload: 1x Rockomax Jumbo-64

Orbit: 250x250km

Launch Mass: 4383 metric tons

Payload Mass to Orbit: ~38 metric tons

Liquid Stages: 5

Stage Configuration: 2+2+1 asparagus, two upper stages

Engines:

-4x Globe X-5 HT SRBs

-2x KW Griffon-G8D and 1x KW Griffon XX per booster

-4x KW Griffon-G8D and 1x KW Griffon XX center stage

-KW Titan T1 4th stage

-KW Vesta VR-9D 5th stage

Total Pad Delta-V (Vacuum, Mechjeb): 10746 m/s

Stage Delta-V (Vacuum, Mechjeb): 924, 224, 1792, 3118, 3581, 1108

Stage TWR (Mechjeb): 1.25, 1.50, 1.10, 0.95, 1.09, 1.00

Orbital maneuvering capacity: 270 m/s DeltaV

Ascent profile: Turn start 0, Turn end 200, Turn shape 100%

Edited by Virindi

-snip-

I used a 2m engine for the 2nd stage and I used LF+LO for the 1st stage. 10t is what I used to use it for, but I don't like it, as it's very unstable. I'm working on a Ariane V-alike that can launch 6-5t. Oh, and Jack, where did you get those GORGEOUS SRB's? I want me a Ares I

Edited by Captain_Party

here is few of my career progression rockets.

mission to Mun and back, just after I unlocked last science part to collect atmosphere data:

http://imgur.com/a/kz2sQ#9

download

16 space laboratories and 2.5m nuclear reactor to power up them, from interstellar mod. possible to dock more modules from each side

http://imgur.com/YWEZXcq

and here 2 rockets to make it:

http://imgur.com/a/0bTut#0

first made with 3.75m tanks, second with 5m and are very easy to launch - just trottle up to 100%, enable SAS and press space from time to time :)

download1 download2

Mods Im using:

DeadlyReentry

Kethane

KSPInterstellar

ModularFuelSystem

RemoteTech

ProceduralDynamics

RealSolarSystem

Engineer-Redux

FerramAerospace

KerbalJointReinforcement

KW-Rocketry

NovaPunch

ProcFairings

all information about dV, mass and other stuff on screenshots

goodluck, hope you enjoy :)

"Midget" - I use it for medium/small payloads into 80-110km orbits

Mods:

B9

NovaPunch

Mechjeb

Space Shuttle Engines (engines+orange tanks)

0BF80E181C2ADC2AB41A55D71AA84474099DF2A4

3D4B946599A110659BAE83E9107100FFF2B1181B

C70D30D94150A172CA5494CA01EA59174EB6B676

347ED3989E7635E128EE7506867FB8980DCF35B8

0E0B7A7E792D9FD36546EE30AD665608BC865526

3C938B3220178CBE9BDA369C4B3927505117EE96

The ships in this thread are supposed for the rescaled Kerbin mod, not simply launchers that look like the real thing. It's a nice shuttle, but it's in the wrong place

Here is my Kerbalized version of the Space Launch System Block II that NASA is developing. This is the crewed version with the Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle. I still need to adjust some things on it yet but it's done for the most part. It currently has about 11.5 km/s of delta-v.

CF24B855A6F1227FEFE9709EDDC300638B931AD9

I did some further modifications to it. I can post a link to it later today once I do some final testing. I made the crew version and the cargo version.

Mods:

Stretchy SRB (Stretchy Tanks v5)

AEIS (Stage 3 engine and SRB Nose Cones)

SDHI

PF

KSPX (Escape Tower)

Mechjeb

Novapunch

Yeah I've recently been doing this sort of a thing as well but I've been trying to go to the Mun with a probe. It's not easy that's for sure... I've also modified my modular fuels a bunch though so it's probably not something I can post here... The launchers look beautiful regardless!

Space Launch System Block II with Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle

Here is the craft file for my rendition of the Crewed Space Launch System Block II. This has been tested to work with Modular Fuel System v3.2 with KATO engines.cfg. A cargo version of the craft is almost ready, I just need to fix a few things on it. I also plan to do more rockets based on real life designs.

Note that the SRBs might move away from the radial decouplers when loading the craft in the VAB. This is a bug with Stretchy SRBs.

Mods Required:

Stretchy SRBs (Stretchy Tanks v5)

AEIS

SDHI

Procedural Fairings

KSPX

Mechjeb

Novapunch

Action Groups:

1 - Deploy Solar Panels

2 - Deploy Parachutes

0 - Decouple Launch Tower and Capsule Faring (for use after Abort)

Basic Vessel Stats:

Vessel Takeoff Mass: 624.32 Tons

Stage 1 Thrust: 8561 kN

Total Vacuum Delta V 12417 m/s

Craft File Link

2CA9B70F6A75EED84CA95A0918C52094BDEDD114

Edited by soverign

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.