Realistic Solar System Crafts - MEGATHREAD

So today I finished up the Delta IV Heavy and Mediums so I thought I showed you guys. Again I focused on making them look good, especially around the DCSS but also tried to make them have similar performance. Unfortunately I couldn't do this on the GEM 60s because the fuels used on the real versions are much less dense than the Kerbal solid fuel, so I had to choose between tiny realistic performance SRBs or good looking over performing ones, I went for a compromise leaning more towards looks.

Just the basic configurations.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And launching a space station to test the Heavy.

They require the usual mods, FASA for launch clamps & flags, KOSMOS for inter-stages & fuel lines, this for tank textures and the Heavy requires this so that you can control the engines individually because it has no cross-feed. Tips for flying the Heavy: Disable outer two gimbals at launc (Dtobi's tweakables don't save) using the "0" key. Don't use SAS or MechJeb, they'll shake it so much it'll waste a load of delta-v. At 3.4km throttle the central engine as far back as you can so the boosters are staged away first. Throttle them back two at around 50m/s² to keep the gs down. Throttle the central engine most the way up when you stage them away and keep on flying it carefully, it likes to oscillate at high altitudes. Once you stage it away just carry on to orbit with a usual low-ish TWR profile. See you soon with an Ariane 5 ECA and ES.

So today I finished up the Delta IV Heavy and Mediums so I thought I showed you guys. Again I focused on making them look good, especially around the DCSS but also tried to make them have similar performance. Unfortunately I couldn't do this on the GEM 60s because the fuels used on the real versions are much less dense than the Kerbal solid fuel, so I had to choose between tiny realistic performance SRBs or good looking over performing ones, I went for a compromise leaning more towards looks.

Just the basic configurations.

http://imgur.com/a/Cv94s

And launching a space station to test the Heavy.

http://imgur.com/a/8er8t

They require the usual mods, FASA for launch clamps & flags, KOSMOS for inter-stages & fuel lines, this for tank textures and the Heavy requires this so that you can control the engines individually because it has no cross-feed. Tips for flying the Heavy: Disable outer two gimbals at launc (Dtobi's tweakables don't save) using the "0" key. Don't use SAS or MechJeb, they'll shake it so much it'll waste a load of delta-v. At 3.4km throttle the central engine as far back as you can so the boosters are staged away first. Throttle them back two at around 50m/s² to keep the gs down. Throttle the central engine most the way up when you stage them away and keep on flying it carefully, it likes to oscillate at high altitudes. Once you stage it away just carry on to orbit with a usual low-ish TWR profile. See you soon with an Ariane 5 ECA and ES.

Very nice looking rockets, great replicas! I think Nathan mentioned adding different solid fuels to RealFuels down the line sometime. Also, it's a bit hard to tell from the images, but what engine config are you using? SFJBRealEngines?

Very nice looking rockets, great replicas! I think Nathan mentioned adding different solid fuels to RealFuels down the line sometime. Also, it's a bit hard to tell from the images, but what engine config are you using? SFJBRealEngines?

Im using SFJBRealEngines but there's some part clipping around just for aesthetics. Realistic solid fuels would be awesome, maybe it could even have hybrid propellants.

Awesome Scripto23!

I recorded a Saturn-V launch video to show off the roll authority given by dtobi's gimbal plugin, which is now included in the RealEngines configs zip.

Also I managed to match almost to the second the marks of the real Apollo 11 launch, using Braeunig's table as a quick reference.

Careful with the audio volume though!

And here is the craft file for the Saturn V - http://www./view/5puapixgfgh79so/Saturn_V.craft

Mods used

And very important - KJR - there are ZERO struts in this, and its solid like a... rocket!

Well I've tried to open the craft and still no luck. I have all the mods on your list and even reinstalled certain mods so I would have no missing parts.

Well, Ferram just posted a 5000 ton to orbit craft in the RSS thread...

You mean this post?:

I'd actually like some feedback from you guys here. I need a name for a rocket.

7kLWERz.png

Riddle me this: What do you name a rocket that fills the VAB with its boosters and first stage, creates 1.6 GN of thrust at launch, outweighs a Nimitz-class carrier, and lifts 5000 tonnes to orbit?

Jesus Christ that's big!

Well I've tried to open the craft and still no luck. I have all the mods on your list and even reinstalled certain mods so I would have no missing parts.

I was having the same problem, but reading the craft file on the Mediafire page it looks like it has MechJeb parts! A ha! Off to install MechJeb and see if that works. Will report back later since this is such a glorious creation! :)

I was having the same problem, but reading the craft file on the Mediafire page it looks like it has MechJeb parts! A ha! Off to install MechJeb and see if that works. Will report back later since this is such a glorious creation! :)

Which mechjeb parts? I have mechjeb installed and still couldn't open it.

Which mechjeb parts? I have mechjeb installed and still couldn't open it.

Not sure actually, I installed MechJeb and many other RSS compatible mods and still no luck. Perhaps we need to change the name of the F-1 part? I saw that SFJackBauer said that you need to delete the space in the part name or something.

I also noticed that the DL links for Hakari's F-1 engine are gone. Someone else reposted the part though. Could that have possible changed any files in the mod?

Edited by Woopert

Not sure actually, I installed MechJeb and many other RSS compatible mods and still no luck. Perhaps we need to change the name of the F-1 part? I saw that SFJackBauer said that you need to delete the space in the part name or something.

I also noticed that the DL links for Hakari's F-1 engine are gone. Someone else reposted the part though. Could that have possible changed any files in the mod?

I add MechJeb through a MM config to all pods, so even though the craft file has some references, the lack of it shouldn't be an issue to load.

However change the name to F1_RocketMotor and see if it loads (it seems my instructions are wrong, its to replace the space with an underline)

I'm sure KSP must generate a log somewhere telling which parts are missing (I preferred the way 0.22 handled this...)

I add MechJeb through a MM config to all pods, so even though the craft file has some references, the lack of it shouldn't be an issue to load.

However change the name to F1_RocketMotor and see if it loads (it seems my instructions are wrong, its to replace the space with an underline)

I'm sure KSP must generate a log somewhere telling which parts are missing (I preferred the way 0.22 handled this...)

The name for the part folder?

Hmm... I chekced the cfg as well and it was named that. Still puzzled but really can't wait to try it out! :)

Okay... in KSP_Data/output_log.txt, if the craft fails to load there should be a line similar to this (where I intendendly messed up with a part name):

[ShipConstruct]: Trying to load Saturn V2 - No AvailablePart found for F1.RocketMotor

Yep that did it! Adding the underline instead of a space worked, got the craft to load. Thanks :)

Okay... in KSP_Data/output_log.txt, if the craft fails to load there should be a line similar to this (where I intendendly messed up with a part name):

[ShipConstruct]: Trying to load Saturn V2 - No AvailablePart found for F1.RocketMotor

By failed to load do you mean when loading the game up? There's no way to load a ship if it's locked. Sorry if I'm causing you trouble :)

5000tn...... I'm stunned!

Anyway, Here are my SpaceX Launchers I've made

FH4C4pD.jpg

The Falcon 9 is matches the real thing almost exactly

The Falcon Heavy matches what were told it will be - falcon 9 center with to cross-feeding falcon 9 first stages. However, I can only get about 35tn into orbit, a far cry from the 53tn SpaceX has announced

The Falcon X and X Heavy use Saturn V F1 Engines as that is the closet engine available that matches the expected Merlin 2 Engine Specs and the space shuttle engine in space of the the Merlin 2 vacum - both put a slightly higher payload into orbit than expected - 40tn (38tn) and 134tn (125tn) respectively

The Falcon XX uses the same engines as the Flacon X and delivers a slightly large payload compared to the expected amount 150tn (140tn)

Craft Files Note has some re-sized KW Fairing cfgs for 6m expanded fairing and 10m fairing

By failed to load do you mean when loading the game up? There's no way to load a ship if it's locked. Sorry if I'm causing you trouble :)

By that I meant when you can't load a craft, so please look at your log and check any lines like that. No troubles caused :)

Okay, so here is the Space Launch System Block I! It features the Orion MPCV spacecraft with a Space Shuttle OMS engine, otherwise known as the AJ10-190. This runs on MMH and N2O4. Everything is approximately to scale via the use of proportions to compare real life dimensions relative to the command pod size in RealismOverhaul! :)

The boosters are the proper width proportionally and approximately the same height (had to guess on this). They burn for 124 seconds - just like the real 5 segment Solid Rocket Boosters that will be used on Block I of the SLS!

The core stage has 4 RS-25D's, otherwise known as SSMEs. They run off of the cryogenic fuel combo of LH2 and LOX.

The second stage has 1 RL10B-2, which while with a mere thrust of 110 KN is highly effiecient. It has been tested and can get into an eccentric orbit (possibly circular if you're a better RSS pilot than me), which can further be circularized with the upper stage.

Download here: http://www./download/0elgelxnefvjgw0/Orion+MPCV.craft

Required Mods:

RSS, Realism Overhaul, and associated mods (i.e. those required for RSS and Realism Overhaul)

FASA

Sumghai Service Module System

StretchySRB

Procedural Fairings

KW Rocketry

NovaPunch

AIES

RLA Stockalike Alternative Models

Let me know if it's not compatible! I'm almost sure those are all the mods but once again, see if it works! :)

Pictures

Edited by Woopert

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.