Realistic Solar System Crafts - MEGATHREAD

By failed to load do you mean when loading the game up? There's no way to load a ship if it's locked. Sorry if I'm causing you trouble :)

Did you replace the space in that engine with an underscore? That's what worked for me.

5000tn...... I'm stunned!

Anyway, Here are my SpaceX Launchers I've made

http://i.imgur.com/FH4C4pD.jpg

The Falcon 9 is matches the real thing almost exactly

The Falcon Heavy matches what were told it will be - falcon 9 center with to cross-feeding falcon 9 first stages. However, I can only get about 35tn into orbit, a far cry from the 53tn SpaceX has announced

The Falcon X and X Heavy use Saturn V F1 Engines as that is the closet engine available that matches the expected Merlin 2 Engine Specs and the space shuttle engine in space of the the Merlin 2 vacum - both put a slightly higher payload into orbit than expected - 40tn (38tn) and 134tn (125tn) respectively

The Falcon XX uses the same engines as the Flacon X and delivers a slightly large payload compared to the expected amount 150tn (140tn)

Craft Files Note has some re-sized KW Fairing cfgs for 6m expanded fairing and 10m fairing

Really nice rockets! Mentioning the fact that you could only get 35t to orbit, you might be interested in this thread on the spaceflight forums. Also I can't wait til we get some more specs on the upcoming Raptor metholox engines, would really like a model of that in KSP :).

Thanks for the link. That was a really interesting read. I'm going to go back to my Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy designs and check the masses and mass ratios against those in that thread.

I wonder how these rockets stack up against those figures.

And the Raptor engine, I did look into that for some reason the significance of it did click with me until just now.. On the Falcon X and above I'm going to change out the space shuttle engines for a Methane engine.

I'm also going yo need to work on the textures... Get them to look like real spaceX rockets :P

Ooo and resize a sort out the stats for cbbp dragon capsule. So much to do - still not done anything other than launch rockets in RSS.

@Woopert: It looks awesome especially the Orion Capsule setup in the last screenshot.

Did you replace the space in that engine with an underscore? That's what worked for me.

The part name already was in the same format, with an underscore. I noticed in the craft file I saw a bunch of numbers when it referenced to the F-1 part, so I tried changing the part in the GameData folder to match that as well. Really confused, I'm gonna reinstall the F-1 mod again and download the Saturn V fresh again. I think it might be because of where I downloaded the Hakari F-1 mod. The original link is no longer available for download but someone posted a link from what was on their system. Anyway to fix the possibly corrupted parts? It's weird cause the F-1 parts work in game but don't seem to be the same as the one on SFJackBauer's craft.

Actually, I just came up with a possible solution. Would you be able to swap out the F-1s for the 5 F-1 engine from NovaPunch? Hopefully that should eliminate the issues I'm having. :)

Oh, and I searched the log. It didn't seem like there was a problem. The F-1 has the name you said it should be but it still doesn't want to load. :(

EDIT: Scratch everything, I'm so happy! I got it to work, what happened was I installed a different mod from aWolf. He has two mods, so I installed the LES and it loads! :D

Edited by Woopert

Seeing as I've not seen anyone make the Ares I yet, I've taken it upon myself to recreate it, only with a few problems so far. First of all, the first stage was supposed to be a five segment Space Shuttle external booster, to burn for 126 seconds and take the stack to around 55 km. Copying the stats that they had, I could only take it to around 35 km. And then, the second stage, which was supposed to be only 20 or so meters in length, turns out to be 40 meters according to the densities in RealFeuls. Help?

Seeing as I've not seen anyone make the Ares I yet, I've taken it upon myself to recreate it, only with a few problems so far. First of all, the first stage was supposed to be a five segment Space Shuttle external booster, to burn for 126 seconds and take the stack to around 55 km. Copying the stats that they had, I could only take it to around 35 km. And then, the second stage, which was supposed to be only 20 or so meters in length, turns out to be 40 meters according to the densities in RealFeuls. Help?

Well first of all, the Ares program was NOT going to use the shuttle's SRBs. They were going to use a similar design, but they were much more powerful. As a matter of fact, the height of the Ares (and SLS for that matter) SRBs is taller than the External Tank on the Shuttle. It's a common misconception to assume that they're using the same SRBs, when they simply aren't powerful enough.

... yep :)

Block 1 with Orion. Although it has a tendency to... catch on fire :sticktongue:

It's my first real time going through RSS so I'd say I did alright for being new.

I was actually going to say Ares V, since SLS has 5 engines, and the four on the outside aren't rotated 45 degrees. They're actually only rotated 30 degrees.

I've almost finished the Ariane 5 ECA but Im having problems with this glitch:

ctsyOqG.png

FBjlgBQ.png

As you can see the stretchy tank in the circle glitches and clips through the SRMs. Even though its just aesthetic its then glitches out more and rips the craft to bits on staging. This could be a combination of so many mods I have no idea where to post this, but I'm guessing its something to do with KJR and Stretchys. Anyone got any ideas?

Update on my previous post:

I updated some mods and the second stage works perfectly now, just the first stage SRB left to fix. I tried to see why I couldn't get the thing into orbit with mechjeb, and apparently, my drag losses were going over 1700 ms. Any ideas?

All launch vehicles have roughly 1500-2000m/s of dV loss due to combined air resistance and gravity drag. Is this what you are talking about, or are you OVER that by 1700m/s?

I was actually going to say Ares V, since SLS has 5 engines, and the four on the outside aren't rotated 45 degrees. They're actually only rotated 30 degrees.

I was really confused by that too, but I figured out a while ago that the SLS has 4 engines. NASA's website and Wikipedia both show 4 engines. Links below :)

sls_dac_2_70t_breakaway.jpg?itok=HVzKBdeM

ARES I

Now for a bit of, 'What Might Of Been?' I basically needed a small, 20t to LEO rocket, which cost as little as possible, and looked cool. I thought, what hasn't anyone done? ARES I. So yeah. Here you go. Probably won't release the craft, uses a modded CSS SRB. Because, as much as I love the StretchySRB, it looks like **** when stretched.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Captain_Party

Has anyone tried making a Minotaur V? It looks cool but might be challenging due to it being all solid fueled :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minotaur_V

Also, a video of the SLS Block I. This time it uses the liquid boosters with the F-1B engines. Might make a Block II later with J-2X engines :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz8mUyIROXg

Edited by Woopert

Actually, I just came up with a possible solution. Would you be able to swap out the F-1s for the 5 F-1 engine from NovaPunch? Hopefully that should eliminate the issues I'm having. :)

Glad you worked it out :)

The problem with the 5-engine from NP compared to individual engines is that... you can't shutdown the center engine, nor you can have roll control since it behaves like a single monolithic engine.

BTW your SLS opens here just fine.

And another thing - you are launching like you do in stock Kerbin, turning at 10km. If you are interested in efficiency, don't do that - start turning much earlier, like 1km or 100m/s, as the drag losses are much lower in Earth than Kerbin.

Edited by SFJackBauer

AFAIK, Mechjeb doesn't know that FAR exists, so it calculates drag based on the stock model. I'm not 100% on that though.

That's correct, sarbian has been working on some integration with FAR but right now drag losses will always appear as zero. But you can calculate it roughly:

dragLosses = (dvExpended - gravityLosses - steeringLosses) - surfaceSpeed

Glad you worked it out :)

The problem with the 5-engine from NP compared to individual engines is that... you can't shutdown the center engine, nor you can have roll control since it behaves like a single monolithic engine.

BTW your SLS opens here just fine.

And another thing - you are launching like you do in stock Kerbin, turning at 10km. If you are interested in efficiency, don't do that - start turning much earlier, like 1km or 100m/s, as the drag losses are much lower in Earth than Kerbin.

Oh, the NovaPunch engine isn't what solved the problem. You see, the page for aWolfs mods has two to download. I downloaded the mod at the top instead of the LES pack. Once I downloaded the LES, poof everything works! :)

I've been turning at about 5km in RSS but there is a big gravity turn at 10km. I always get re-entry effects while launching though, is my trajectory too shallow?

By the way, thanks for all the time you put into the Real Saturn V. Once frizzank completes the Apollo pack for FASA will you be integrating the LEM featured in the mod? There is currently a beta release that includes the lander and some Saturn IB parts and it's very nice. It would look really good on your rocket (or should I say inside, since it's in the fairing)

That's correct, sarbian has been working on some integration with FAR but right now drag losses will always appear as zero. But you can calculate it roughly:

dragLosses = (dvExpended - gravityLosses - steeringLosses) - surfaceSpeed

That is good to know, thanks.

Oh, the NovaPunch engine isn't what solved the problem. You see, the page for aWolfs mods has two to download. I downloaded the mod at the top instead of the LES pack. Once I downloaded the LES, poof everything works! :)

I've been turning at about 5km in RSS but there is a big gravity turn at 10km. I always get re-entry effects while launching though, is my trajectory too shallow?

By the way, thanks for all the time you put into the Real Saturn V. Once frizzank completes the Apollo pack for FASA will you be integrating the LEM featured in the mod? There is currently a beta release that includes the lander and some Saturn IB parts and it's very nice. It would look really good on your rocket (or should I say inside, since it's in the fairing)

The trajectory effects can be adjusted in the debug menu (ALT+D+R), but yes, unadjusted you will probably see reentry effects on launch which is normal.

That is good to know, thanks.

The trajectory effects can be adjusted in the debug menu (ALT+D+R), but yes, unadjusted you will probably see reentry effects on launch which is normal.

Thanks for the advice. On a side note, how do I set up your LazTek rescale? Do I just place CFGs in the Realism Overhaul folder just as any other configs? And the craft goes in ships I assume... and do I have to worry about the Energia and Skylon folders, or are they for something else? Sorry if I'm bothering you. :)

Thanks for the advice. On a side note, how do I set up your LazTek rescale? Do I just place CFGs in the Realism Overhaul folder just as any other configs? And the craft goes in ships I assume... and do I have to worry about the Energia and Skylon folders, or are they for something else? Sorry if I'm bothering you. :)

No problem :). Yeah you can just place the cfg anywhere in GameData folder or in its subfolders and the craft goes in ships. The Energia and the Skylon folder contain two other separate RSS replica crafts I created and their respective cfg files which you're welcome to check out if you want.

ARES I

Now for a bit of, 'What Might Of Been?' I basically needed a small, 10t to LEO rocket, which cost as little as possible, and looked cool. I thought, what hasn't anyone done? ARES I. So yeah. Here you go. Probably won't release the craft, uses a modded CSS SRB. Because, as much as I love the StretchySRB, it looks like **** when stretched.

http://imgur.com/a/GktHv

ARES I was a 20T to orbit lifter right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.